| View previous topic :: View next topic |
| Author |
Message |
malcolmt Flying Brick Rider
Joined: 23 Apr 2007 Posts: 369 Location: Parys, S.Africa
|
Posted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:00 am Post subject: Tail light failure lamp |
|
|
I hope this isnt a self nomination for the "dumb question of the month award" but here goes...
When you switch on your K11..does your lamp failure light flash or come on steady ??
I never paid great deal of attension to it prior to swapping the instrument cluster. I expect it stayed on till both brakes were used then went off just like my K75
Malcolm(t) _________________ ******************************
A Bike on the road is worth two
in the shed
****************************** |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Phil Marvin Rider in the Sky
Joined: 03 Apr 2003 Posts: 1389 Location: El Paso, Texas, USA
|
Posted: Fri May 22, 2009 12:04 pm Post subject: |
|
|
Hi, Malcolm,
If you have used both front and rear brakes before the ABS self-test is completed, the brake failure light will flash in unison with the ABS lights. If not, it will just be a steady on. _________________ Ride Safe,
Phil Marvin in El Paso, TX
'94 K75A/3
'95 K75RTP |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
malcolmt Flying Brick Rider
Joined: 23 Apr 2007 Posts: 369 Location: Parys, S.Africa
|
Posted: Sat May 23, 2009 8:19 am Post subject: |
|
|
Phil,
Thanks for the info.
If I switch the bike on without touching the brakes then the lights flash in unison as you say. If I ride away without touching the brakes both lights go off. It sounds like my hassle is with lamp failure relay or wiring.
I've tried removing the tail lamp and the failure lamp behaves the same. ie pull away wthout using the brakes and both go off.
Its time to check through more connections.
See ya
Malcolm(t) _________________ ******************************
A Bike on the road is worth two
in the shed
****************************** |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Saltcreek Flying Brick Rider

Joined: 22 Oct 2008 Posts: 957 Location: New Hampshire
|
Posted: Sat May 23, 2009 8:59 am Post subject: |
|
|
I think someone else posted recently with a similar situation but I can't find it. It sounds like the bulb monitor and ABS lights are wired together. _________________ Jim
1994 K1100LT Mystic Red, bfd, 37000 miles, sold
2009 Wilderness Systems Zephyr 155 ST
2002 Litespeed titanium |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Flying Duck PsyKotic Waterfowl

Joined: 27 Jan 2005 Posts: 10102 Location: Bumf***, WA
|
Posted: Sat May 23, 2009 11:34 am Post subject: |
|
|
They're separately but to the same bulb. If the light isn't soild before hitting both brakes then it sounds like the BMU is toast. _________________ 93 LT (x2)
94 RS
86-97 K75F(K75/100/1100 Frankenbrick)
86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
malcolmt Flying Brick Rider
Joined: 23 Apr 2007 Posts: 369 Location: Parys, S.Africa
|
Posted: Sat May 23, 2009 4:55 pm Post subject: |
|
|
Hi Duck, A toasted BMU is the conclusion I'm getting to.
Does anyone know if they common accross the K75/100/1100 ?
I'll check part numbers in a day or two.
I can try the K11's module in my K75 if they are compatable.
Thanks again
Malcolm _________________ ******************************
A Bike on the road is worth two
in the shed
****************************** |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Flying Duck PsyKotic Waterfowl

Joined: 27 Jan 2005 Posts: 10102 Location: Bumf***, WA
|
Posted: Sat May 23, 2009 5:03 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| malcolmt wrote: | Hi Duck, A toasted BMU is the conclusion I'm getting to.
Does anyone know if they common accross the K75/100/1100 ?
I'll check part numbers in a day or two.
I can try the K11's module in my K75 if they are compatable.
Thanks again
Malcolm |
Yes. K75, K100, K1 & K1100 all use the same BMU.
You can test the wire from the BMU to the triangle light but putting 12V to the blue/white wire in the BMU wiring harness socket. That should light up the bulb and it won't harm the ABS. (I have the tirangle light hooked up to the sidestand switch via a relay to warn me if the sidestand is down. This is after I eliminated the BMU to run LEDs.) _________________ 93 LT (x2)
94 RS
86-97 K75F(K75/100/1100 Frankenbrick)
86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
Last edited by Flying Duck on Sat May 23, 2009 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
malcolmt Flying Brick Rider
Joined: 23 Apr 2007 Posts: 369 Location: Parys, S.Africa
|
Posted: Sat May 23, 2009 5:10 pm Post subject: |
|
|
Thanks for that I'll try the K11's in my 75 and se if it behaves.
Malcolm _________________ ******************************
A Bike on the road is worth two
in the shed
****************************** |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
malcolmt Flying Brick Rider
Joined: 23 Apr 2007 Posts: 369 Location: Parys, S.Africa
|
Posted: Mon May 25, 2009 3:09 pm Post subject: |
|
|
Howzit..
The problem is resolved
Seems the bulb failure module was toasted.
Fortunately the electronics inside the module aren’t potted.
A transistor and resistor were burnt out, I managed to get the number off transistor and had a spare in my junk box. It took a little probing with the multimeter inside my K75’s module to get the resistor value, a replacement was again found in my junk box.
Fortunately there are no special parts in the unit, everything has the manufacturers numbers on and are easily obtained from any decent electronic component supplier.
Thanks again for everyone’s help.
Malcolm(t) _________________ ******************************
A Bike on the road is worth two
in the shed
****************************** |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
|