K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fuel Pump Relay???
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stoked Steve
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: Fuel Pump Relay??? Reply with quote

OK, this is becoming far too frequent a scene.

The back story. I'm out for a nice spring day ride trying to grab the ADV photo-rama tag. No luck, I was bruced! (Someone got there before me).

So, I'm winding my back home and am a stop light on a busy boulevard, when, Bam, the engine cuts out. Try to re start, no luck. Fortunately I was in the right hand lane and was able to duck waddle it into an empty parking lot.

Check all the obvious, side stand up, in neutral, plenty of fuel, turn the key on, all the lights come on, but NO FUEL PUMP WHIRR. Try it a couple more times, same thing, no fuel pump whirr. I hit the starter, turns over fine, but won't catch 'cause the fuel pump isn't pumping. Pull of the side covers, check connections, try again, nothing. Check fuses, check connection for fuel pump, side stand, nothing. Bypass side stand switch, cut connectors and twisted the wires together, nothing!!!

Wait a few, try many more times, nothing. Swear at bike, threaten to trade in on newer model, nothing. Call the wife, have her pick me up. Go rent U-haul trailer (only $15! Yea!) Go pick up the bike, try to start again before loading on trailer, nothing. Get her home, unload, try to start again, nothing! Return the trailer.

Do search on K11OG for fuel pump, read through 100+ posts and see about possible fuel pump relay issue and how easy it is to swap out with a different relay to test. Go to garage to swap and try, but before I do that, I turn key and ..... WHIRRRR!!! The damn fuel pump comes to life, the bike fires right up and runs like she always does!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AAAAAGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So now I can't even swap a relay to see if that was the real problem!

This is exactly the problem I had in the fall, (the last time it came home on a trailer) and likewise, it just started working again a day or so later and has been fine for the last 6 months.

Needless to say my confidence in long distance riding (or even short distance) is severly shaken. The fuel pump seems fine now, no loud noises, just a nice whirr as it pre-pressurizes and then the bike runs as if nothing is wrong!

Suggestions welcome (before I join Sugarhill in the COG)!
12 Suzuki DL650A VStrom
Scott_Anderson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that LT sold yet?

Laughing Laughing Laughing

1995 K1100LT 0302044
1997 R1100RT ZC62149
2017 FLHTK Ultra Limited
Garmin StreetPilot 2820
Garmin Zumo 550
Garmin Zumo XT
"One who does not ask questions is ashamed to learn" Danish proverb
1997 K1100LT 0302488(R.I.P.)
Stoked Steve
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hardee-har-har! Evil or Very Mad
12 Suzuki DL650A VStrom
Jim
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve - I imagine it could still be the relay - seems like it must be that or an intermittent connection. Didn't someone post here about replacement relays?
1992 K75RTP 46,000
1992 R100R 24,000 - FOR SALE

"We shall not all die, but we shall all be changed."
Scott_Anderson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skdonlan wrote:
Hardee-har-har! Evil or Very Mad

Sorry Steve, I couldn't resist.

Seriously though, like Jim pointed out I would swap relay's anyway, just to help eliminate that possibility.

1995 K1100LT 0302044
1997 R1100RT ZC62149
2017 FLHTK Ultra Limited
Garmin StreetPilot 2820
Garmin Zumo 550
Garmin Zumo XT
Stoked Steve
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be stoked if it was just a relay, but now that it is working fine, I have no idea if that was the issue.

Do fuel pumps ever stop working and then work again just fine? Or do they go and are dead, or work poorly?

Do relays work fine and then don't and then work fine again?

I'm thinking about replacing both pump and relay just to be sure. I'd probably get one of the cheap alternative pumps that Duck references or someone on here also mentioned a fuel pump from a BMW 3 series car that was an exact replacement.

I guess should check the connections to the fuel pump, but I just put all that back in last spring when I had the tank innards coated due to some water corrosion. I guess it's possible to have a loose connection, but I would think that would be a more intermittant problem, cutting of over bumps, etc...

I just want long distance peace of mind!
12 Suzuki DL650A VStrom
Ted
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
Do fuel pumps ever stop working and then work again just fine?

Yes! When they start to go south they often stop working suddenly, then after getting a bump, jostle or two start right back up and work fine until they decide to stop again.

There is a test - next time it cuts out, lift up the back of the tank and give the bottom corner a few good whacks with the flat of your hand (not hard enough to dent it though!) If it then starts right back up and runs fine you have a textbook case of a fuel pump going bad.

Quote:
also mentioned a fuel pump from a BMW 3 series car that was an exact replacement

Haha I actually discovered this in my 325iC. I was stranded in a parking lot in Dayton, Ohio and had it towed to a BMW dealer. They replaced the filter and some other things that didn't need replacing and pronounced it fine. Later that day, it died again as I was getting coffee. I hit the roadfly e30 boards from a nice strangers computer at the Starbucks and someone immediately recommended taking out the back seat and giving the gas tank a firm whallop with something soft, I used a half-empty bottle of washer fluid. I thought it was nuts but the damn thing started right up and ran fine until it happened again, while on the highway I pushed in the clutch, reached back and gave it a whallop, the car started right back up - hardly even slowed down. I replaced the pump (in a hotel parking lot in a rainstorm) with a good used one for $70 and it ran fine until I sold it three years later.

EDIT: For kicks I just went back to Roadfly and checked out the posts, here was my original:

Quote:
Was running OK, stopped for groceries and it wouldn't quite catch. Would start for a second and die. Reminded me of the time I ran out of gas. All lights OK, everything seemed normal, half tank of gas. Any help on diagnosis and recommendations for a good independent in or near Dayton OH very appreciated!

the the one that saved me:

Quote:
try pulling the rear seat up, and crank the car while someone hits the top of the fuel pump (moderate tapping with my fist covered in a towel felt safe enough for me). My pump ('90 325i) is located under the passenger side metal circle, i'm not sure what's under the driver's side one. mine died at the bmw dealer by chance, and i shat my pants when the car magically started while the parts guy tapped it. not the best diagnosis method, but if it does the trick, that's your problem for sure. it's a super easy job to replace yourself, too.

KOG#1
SugarHillCTD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Steve,

I know where you can get a spare set of EVERYTHING- all parts WORK and everything is even the matching color for you. Rolling Eyes

Seriously, your's is a problem that I never experienced. Good luck- intermittant gremlins are the toughest to defeat.

John

'92 K100RS4V Pearl White SOLD
'04 K1200GT
IBA Several-SS1k, BBG, 50CC NYC to S.F.
Scott_Anderson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skdonlan wrote:
Do fuel pumps ever stop working and then work again just fine? Or do they go and are dead, or work poorly?

Steve you are describing the exact symptoms of my bad FP on my Silverado 2 yrs ago.

While you are at it if you are changing the pump, I'd recommend a new filter as well. Unless you just changed it w/in the last 6mo or so.

I didn't change mine on my truck Rolling Eyes and I was replacing my pump again a year later.

Like Ted eluded to I could rap the bottom the fuel tank and the pump would run and the truck would start. Of course this had to happen in the dead of winter when I couldn't ride the bike while waiting to repair the truck.

1995 K1100LT 0302044
1997 R1100RT ZC62149
2017 FLHTK Ultra Limited
Garmin StreetPilot 2820
Garmin Zumo 550
Garmin Zumo XT
John Clauss
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had that exact thing happen 7 years ago shortly after buying the bike. Got it running in the parking lot and was barely late for work. Has never happened again. Strange thing!

It will bring you so close to nausea, it will make you sick! - Big Al
old guy old bike
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the flip side, I had a relay for the ABS act the same way. It would work fine then just stop working and then start working sometime later. I found that I could replicate the problem on the bench with some gentle taps on the side of the relay.
Jeff
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I"m not being snarky or sarcastic but you might want to get some towing insurance. It costs me $5/year/bike with Progressive.

Also, if you know any ADVers, a post in the regionals might get you some help too.
86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
Stoked Steve
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Towing insurance would be a good thing, especially for that price. I wonder how far they'll tow? Like 400 miles from HM to home??

Ok, I'm shopping for a new fuel pump, I've seen Duck's automotive replacement and might go that route, but I saw this in an old post,

Quote:
Anyway, point of all this is that I put in a pump from a BMW 3 series car which, as far as I can tell, is exactly the same. Fits right into the plastic 'holder', and works like a charm. No problem since I put it in. Oh, and it cost me $25 off Fleabay!!!

Someone asked him for a part number, but he never replied.

Does anyone know what pump this might be? I'd rather have a BMW pump (or one made for them) that fits properly rather than one that has to be rigged to work.

I found this, it looks very similar, but the bottom with the hose nipple looks a bit diferent.

http://www.onlinewholesaleparts.com/bwfp-007.html
12 Suzuki DL650A VStrom
lrome48
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skdonlan wrote:
I'd be stoked if it was just a relay, but now that it is working fine, I have no idea if that was the issue.

Do relays work fine and then don't and then work fine again?

I'm thinking about replacing both pump and relay just to be sure. I'd probably get one of the cheap alternative pumps that Duck references or someone on here also mentioned a fuel pump from a BMW 3 series car that was an exact replacement.

I guess should check the connections to the fuel pump, but I just put all that back in last spring when I had the tank innards coated due to some water corrosion. I guess it's possible to have a loose connection, but I would think that would be a more intermittant problem, cutting of over bumps, etc...

I just want long distance peace of mind!

Have you taken the pump out and tested it with 12 volts? If it runs every time you power it up chances are it is not bad. The major culprit is usually the four pin connector from the harness to the sending unit/fuel pump. The pins wear over time and make intermittent contact in the sockets. I usually cut the connector off and replace it with a 4 pin waterproof one.
87 SpecialK75 Carols done!
2004 K12 Special the 'Beast' delivered
K1100 Standard Custom Gone but not forgotten
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tim (Midland Section)
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is also common for the wires in the harness between tank & plug to fracture inside the insulation. To test, pull each wire at the plug end away from the tank, if it stretches, it's shagged. Simples.
HTH

Grey haired riders don't get that way by pure luck
1996 Guzzi Cali3 LAPD
1972 750 Commando
G6HRN
Stoked Steve
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't pulled the pump yet, been shopping for an inexpensive replacement. My gut feeling is that the pump is fine and the relay is the issue. When the pump is working, like now, it sounds fine and healthy.

I should pull it and give it 12V many times and see if I can get it to not come on.

I checked the 4-pin connector and it looks good, nice and clean and jiggling it around while the bike is running is not making any change.

So I'm really thinking it's just the relay, how would one bench test that? I'll certainly replace it, I'd just like to be sure that was the issue without being stuck on the side of the road again.
12 Suzuki DL650A VStrom
Scott_Anderson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skdonlan wrote:
....I'd just like to be sure that was the issue.....

The only true way to figure it out is to have it fault when your are working on it.
Sorry Steve but that's just the way it works.
I fought for 3 weeks with a 400 ton chiller last year trying to find a tempermental problem before I finally found a faulty relay board.
I can be done, just be patient.
Check your connections real good, test the wires from the plug to the pump, swap your relay. You are on the right track, just don't get discouraged. Wink

1995 K1100LT 0302044
1997 R1100RT ZC62149
2017 FLHTK Ultra Limited
Garmin StreetPilot 2820
Garmin Zumo 550
Garmin Zumo XT
Stoked Steve
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch, I went to order this fuel pump from Duck's posting on EBay for $36.95

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Facet-2042-Fuel-Pump-86-95-Ford-Taurus-Mercury-Sable_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem45f187a5a2QQitemZ300404942242QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#shId

Only to find out AFTER I agreed to buy it that there is a shippping and handling charge of $101.00!!!!

That is outrageous!!

I haven't paid for it and sent the seller an email asking to cancel the order, but I've got a feeling they won't allow it and I've got to decide if it's worth a ding on my 100% feedback rating.

This really pisses me off. It was my fault for not calculating the shipping, but I expected something like $10-$15. But they made the shipping some what obscure to find, it certainly wasn't obvious.

We'll see what they say, what a bitch...

[EDIT]

OK, I got a real quick robo reply saying they were having problems with their shipping calculator and that figure was not correct. That they should have it sorted out by Sunday and will let me know the correct amount.

Phew! I checked out all their other ads and they mostly had reasonable shipping of $9.95 or so and they have a 99.5% positive feedback with thousands of items sold, so I stated thinking it must be a glitch.
12 Suzuki DL650A VStrom
joeangi
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have (had) been chasing this same problem. I had changed out the pump, as it was bad when I got the bike. Only to get stuck (just like you). I reached into the wiring under the seat, and it fired back up. I took everyone advice and ordered a new fuel tank plug from Eastern Beaver. Only to get stuck again....This time it was like 100 degrees, and I was sweating like a pig (my K100 NEVER did this to me, in 24 years!) I was still messing with the wires under the seat (as that had worked before) and it still would not fire up....finally the pump came back on, and away I went. Got it into the garage and knowing that it was now NOT the fuel tank connector, fiddled around until I got the fuel pump to not come on...it turned out to be the main plug that snaps into the motronic unit. It was (is) snapped in properly, and it all looks fine, but one of the pins must be loose/ corroded i figured. I took some scotchbrite (very fine) and polished all the pins of the motronic. I also looked at the female side under a magnifier...they looked OK. I put a small smear of diaelctric grease on the male side and snapped it back together. I have ridden 3 times so far this year, nothing more than 10-20 miles at a clip, but no stalling yet. I think I got it. Check your main motronic plug...it may be the culprit.

Joe
Stoked Steve
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know EB made a fuel tank plug. I'll have to check that out, I love his stuff. I have the headlght relay set up and the driving lights set up for my Catz as well.

I'll have a good look at the main Mototronic connector, but it's always been clean and I've sprayed it lightly with some silicon lube to keep it clean and proper.

I'm really thinking it's the fuel pump relay, but who knows...
12 Suzuki DL650A VStrom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: