K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lotsa pics - crankcase breather, fan ballast & CCS plumb

View previous topic :: View next topic  
max
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:06 am    Post subject: Lotsa pics - crankcase breather, fan ballast & CCS plumb Reply with quote

OK - finally got around to taking pics, as part of installing an Audiovox CCS100.

***Some of this under the "cyclonic separator" thread too, but for the other areas others might be interested... ***

History:

- leaking clutch seal even after replacement
- bike was apparently rebored next oversize by PO
- high crankcase pressure all the time (even at idle) - significant "wuffing" out the oil filler
- bike's not a spring chicken - 1996 RS, but 188000kms now

First step:
- removed the cyclonic oil sep in the airbox (some cutting involved)
- found full of coarse polyurethane foam and oil sludge - certainly wouldn't work as a separator
- came to conclusion that never did work as a cyclonic separator, that's why BMW added the foam

Second step:
- thought what the hell
- added a vacuum line across all 4 cylinders bleed nipples, then connected this to the crankcase. System gives full vacuum even at idle; oil filler now gets sucked onto hole, not blown off.
- added over-pressure non-return valve into original lines, so if ever get high crankcase pressure it "blows off" into the old breather system "rail" on the back of the throttle bodies.

PICS: Note -
- line from the vacuum "rail" is the one between TB1 & 2 - the other one goes to the cruise controller
- all the holes/lines for the original system are blocked off in the airbox, since they're all AFTER the filter
- the added non-return valve (behind the TPS) feeds into the END of the original breather piping - move the cap from the end to the middle (the usual feed point). NRV is the one used to feed the vacuum brake booster on an E36 BMW car.

So now the crankcase gets vacuum that DECREASES as the throttles open, instead of INCREASES. YMMV, works for me.

Added steps - Fan ballast

- does like the cars do - sets the fan running at < 100% as required, BEFORE the heat builds up
- wired across the output of the fan relay, so main curcuit can still kick in & put fan on at 100% as needed
- soldered to the legs of the fan relay so no loom hacking
- resistors (4 x 5w, 20ohm in parallel) strapped to frame tube to get rid of heat

White stuff is heatsink compound (eg for computer CPU chips) & used hose clamps as though not hot, probably too warm over time for nylon cable ties. No more cooked legs, been out in 35degC summer weather & still no "fast fan" overheating.

CCS100 "plumbing"

- thanks Mike for the assist in getting a unit to poor ol' NZ
- went for throttle shaft connection between TB 1 & 2 as others too "busy"
- didn't like the idea of an off-line "pull" (as per Ducks' pics for his LT), so plumbed it thru the plastic "tray" above the airbox, with reinforcing (washers, extra cable-ties of tray to frame)
- with this setup, use "long lasso" and no beads; can get plenty of slack - or none - as adjuster range is dead-on. Also nothing for cable to bind up on (BUT YOU **MUST** cable-tie lasso to the TB shaft so it can't go askew and use up all your slack and then keep the throttles slightly open)

Have fun all... now to convert the European light on/off switch to a CCS on/set switch...

Max
Jim
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 11:20 pm    Post subject: crankcase breather Reply with quote

Haven't seen max around lately - if you're still here, I'd like to thank you for the write up on this mod.

Just did the breather mod to my bike while it was in the shop for the drop. The exhaust outlet is no longer black and sooty, and oil consumption has decreased.

We tried starting the bike with the oil fill cap sitting on the fill hole - not screwed in. There actually is vacuum at idle now.

Since vacuum decreases at higher revs, I might have to add a canister for the cruise control.

I'll probably have a better idea of how things are doing in about a month.

I did not have the airbox cut open to remove the deteriorating foam breather - just blocked the inlet.
1992 K75RTP 46,000

"We shall not all die, but we shall all be changed."
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim: I've installed the CCS-100 cruise on a K1100LT, 3 K1100RSs, a K100RS4V, a K1 and 3 K75s. Not a single one of them has required the use of a vacuum reserve canister.
86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
merlin geikie
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My that is some plumbing job Max Wink

Well done and I trust you are ok

Wink
max
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments Jim & Merlin - still around, still on the RS, sadly still having quakes so for various personal/work reasons the riding has dropped back a fair bit! (Did manage a new timing chain & clutch, tho!)

If you're interested, I did get the non-US lights switch modded for the CCS100 - the NZ laws have changed to compulsory lights-on (did that anway) so the switch was surplus anyhow. The whole unit dismantles with screws (do it an a plastic bag) and then you can carefully Dremel yourself a new detent for the switch, and add a small spring to force the leftmost position back to center - that gives me CCS off (rightmost), CCS on (middle normal position) and CCS set/acquire (leftmost momentary) ... even tho the CCS is on all the time for me, it doesn't activate until the first set anyway. I suppose for those who want a "resume" and the fine up/down speed this might not suit, but it suits me not to have the extra control pad (just another thing to fiddle with, I've already got the radar/temp/voltmeter for that).

Oh, other thing I'm working on is a computer (arduino for those who care) system for some of the niggles on the bike
- active fan control with digital temp readout/setup
- may do the same for the heated grips, eg active control/thermostat
- active recalibration of the fuel gauge
- make the rear brake flash on slowdown, programmable slow flash when stopped / very slow (eg in suburban crawl)

Dunno if I want to go to the extent of the Fuel-+ but it's amazing what you can achieve with them, and losing the tach dial for an LCD (or a couple) and a good technical challenge...

Cheers

Max
Christchurch NZ
Jim
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flying Duck wrote:
Jim: I've installed the CCS-100 cruise on a K1100LT, 3 K1100RSs, a K100RS4V, a K1 and 3 K75s. Not a single one of them has required the use of a vacuum reserve canister.

Well, my cruise control isn't working right now for some unknown reason anyway. I'll have to try to get that sorted soon.
1992 K75RTP 46,000

"We shall not all die, but we shall all be changed."
merlin geikie
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Max replies:
Quote:
sadly still having quakes

Yes I have heard you have had several thousand.

Does the ground tremble every few days and open up new cracks?

Sounds like there was no fault line through Christchurch and now there is and it is letting everyone know.

I trust you will get through it OK Max Wink

You are obviously allowed radar in NZ not like oz except WA. Crying or Very sad

I am glad the bike is keeping you entertained, when some of the other chips are down.... Laughing
max
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's been >6000 officially, but the count to us humans depends on where you are and how deep the quake was - plus we're getting used to them a bit after 8 months, so in some ways you notice them less, in others more... The Feb 22nd one (not the biggest, only a 6.3 "aftershock" of the sep 4th 7.1) was just when a lot of people - incl me - were hoping things were dying down.

Apparently the substructure geological layers under the area may also be contributing, but as you say, these were "new" faults (so inactive they had shown no surface signs in about 16000 years) and the whole situation is getting to be a buearucratic nightmare for those heavily involved. Luckily not us too much - we get cracks and creaks & groans, the traffic & local suburb are all changing as businesses move out of the CBD and buggered Eastern suburbs. Current call is abt 12000 domestic properties condemned (of abt 120,000, dunno proportion needing repair) and probably 1/3 to 1/2 the CBD as well. City definitely won't be the same.

New cracks do appear, usually only after 4s or greater, but it depends on the area - bigger problems is continuing damage to weakened buildings / bridges / sewers / roads / hillsides. In the worst areas the peaks ground acceleration was 2.02g //sideways//. It's a miracle more buildings didn't give up.

Anyway, all I can say for others is enjoy every day (always applies, eh?) and check your insurance policies carefully... if in doubt, ask scenario-based questions. A lot of people here are now looking at financial strife due to insurance "interpretations" ... I'm sure you can guess the gist some of them.

Take care all.
max
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim wrote:
Flying Duck wrote:

Well, my cruise control isn't working right now for some unknown reason anyway. I'll have to try to get that sorted soon.

Well, I know Drake is THE guru on the CCS, but after the mod I'd recommend a cannister to even out the vacuum levels - and you do have a non-return valve in the line to the CCS (from the new "rail"), right? Personal cannister is an old metal 3-in-1 oil can - one of the flat ones - under the seat above the radiator overflow tank. Just connect it into the vacuum feed from the engine on the CCS side of the NRV (it's all at the same vacuum by then).

Glad the breather mod worked for you, anyway. Like I said originally, if it wasn't for the clutch seal leak I probably wouldn't have gone as far as doing the mod, but as other peoples bikes get up in the mileages it could help others (so we're back to now) .
merlin geikie
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Max is stoic:
Quote:
Anyway, all I can say for others is enjoy every day (always applies, eh?)

Yes that is SO right.

Kiwis have got to be some of the most resourceful folk on the planet... Wink ..... not to mention amazingly resourceful and innovative mechanics.

Geeee sounds like quite a trauma with whole suburbs knocked around and the liquifaction effect as well.

Thanks Max for your explanation and great K bike work.. Smile

Wishing you and your Family all good in these hard to bear disasters.

All the very best Mate.
zisco

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Lotsa pics - crankcase breather, fan ballast & CCS p Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I didn't understand one step....

max wrote:
OK - finally got around to taking pics, as part of installing an Audiovox CCS100.

PICS: Note -
- line from the vacuum "rail" is the one between TB1 & 2 - the other one goes to the cruise controller
- all the holes/lines for the original system are blocked off in the airbox, since they're all AFTER the filter
- the added non-return valve (behind the TPS) feeds into the END of the original breather piping - move the cap from the end to the middle (the usual feed point). NRV is the one used to feed the vacuum brake booster on an E36 BMW car.

The Fuel pressure regulator is connected to my TB between TB1 & 2 where, in the image above, it is the line from the vacuum "rail"....

Quote:

in this image it is not seen very well but it would seem that the regulator pressure is connected to the nipple on the timing chain case....
could someone confirm it?

below is how it is currently connected to my TB

https://imgur.com/a/mRRglPD

Thanks for the attention
Scott_Anderson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bike that the OP is working with in those pictures is a '96K1100, they don't have a vacuum operated fuel pressure regulator. The 1100's use an upgraded version that is spring operated.

The "vacuum rail" that he is referencing is the whole section of tubing connecting tb1 thru tb4.
The line leaving down under the fuel rail between tb1 and tb2 connects to the block vacuum connection that sets behind the radiator on the top of the block.
The line leaving between tb3 and tb4 is the line going to the Audiovox CC unit.
If you want the same config, you will need a 3rd 'tap' say between tb2 and tb3 to connect your fuel pressure regulator, or come off of one of the ends.

1995 K1100LT 0302044
1997 R1100RT ZC62149
2017 FLHTK Ultra Limited
Garmin StreetPilot 2820
Garmin Zumo 550
Garmin Zumo XT
"One who does not ask questions is ashamed to learn" Danish proverb
1997 K1100LT 0302488(R.I.P.)
zisco

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott_Anderson wrote:
The bike that the OP is working with in those pictures is a '96K1100, they don't have a vacuum operated fuel pressure regulator. The 1100's use an upgraded version that is spring operated.

The "vacuum rail" that he is referencing is the whole section of tubing connecting tb1 thru tb4.
The line leaving down under the fuel rail between tb1 and tb2 connects to the block vacuum connection that sets behind the radiator on the top of the block.
The line leaving between tb3 and tb4 is the line going to the Audiovox CC unit.
If you want the same config, you will need a 3rd 'tap' say between tb2 and tb3 to connect your fuel pressure regulator, or come off of one of the ends.

I have a 90´ K100 16v
I don't have the Audiovox CC unit, so I could leave the line in the middle of TB1 to TB2 to the fuel pressure regulator as it is at the moment and then connect a line from TB3 to TB4 to the block vacuum connection that sets behind the radiator on the top of the block?
so it should work
Scott_Anderson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep it should.

1995 K1100LT 0302044
1997 R1100RT ZC62149
2017 FLHTK Ultra Limited
Garmin StreetPilot 2820
Garmin Zumo 550
Garmin Zumo XT
zisco

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to both....
but I don't understand why to put an NRV on the crankcase...
Scott_Anderson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically the same reason you have them on a car engine. You want to draw/remove any fumes out from the crankcase side of the combustion chambers. In a 'back-fire' situation, without the NRV, you would/could blow those gasses into the crankcase, and the potential exists that you can blow out a seal or the oil level sight glass.

And to answer your next question.....So then why didn't BMW include one with the initial engine design? I haven't a clue. Maybe they didn't think the engine was big enough to need one, your guess is as good as mine.

1995 K1100LT 0302044
1997 R1100RT ZC62149
2017 FLHTK Ultra Limited
Garmin StreetPilot 2820
Garmin Zumo 550
Garmin Zumo XT
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: