K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Joshua Tree National Park Nov 2011

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steven B
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:46 pm    Post subject: Joshua Tree National Park Nov 2011 Reply with quote

Donna & I did another overnight-er, riding to Joshua Tree N.P. near Twenty Nine Palms, CA. We left early Wednesday morning, temp was about 42, so we layered on our cold weather gear and left about 6:15am.

The route

Getting the tires checked

First stop after getting through the morning rush hour, was for gas in Henderson - the Stratosphere in the background, nice sunny day even though it was a little cool

South on HWY93

Then west on I 40 for a few miles

From all my years living in Wyoming - I forgot not to pass right next to a cattle truck, got splattered by some cattle dung! Remember to move as far left as possible!!

Took old Route 66 to Amboy, stopped in Essex, CA. to get this

An old eatery, long since gone - the Roadrunner restaurant, on the way to Amboy

Coming into Amboy, CA.

We stopped at Roy's, the sign said cafe, but all they had were snacks - the kitchen wasn't open, which was too bad, had an old style counter, we had planned on eating there

We did get gas though, one pump was working. Donna enjoyed a muffin

While we were there a group of 15 Harleys pulled up. They were all from Poland, touring the west. They loved the RT 66 sign painted on the road, parked one of their bikes near it and started taking pictures. It was fun to watch, as there was other traffic coming, several times they moved the bike off the road and then back on it when the traffic cleared. I went out and took a group shot for them and visited with them. They were having a great time doing this, thankfully no one got run over

South on Amboy Rd. heading to Joshua, CA.

We stopped and finally had breakfast in Twenty Nine Palms, then onto the Park.

Lots of Joshua trees

Temperature must have dropped about 10 degrees while riding through the Park, but warmed up once we dropped into the Turkey Flats, Pinto mountain in the background

We had planned on making it to the Cottonwood visitor center, but it was getting late and we didn't want to be riding after dark, so we headed back. Gets dark now at 5pm.

Lots of Cholla cactus in one area

Out of the Park, heading into Twenty Nine Palms, CA.

More luxury accommodations in Twenty Nine Palms

A Pizza Hut was right next to our motel, so we had dinner there

No, she didn't eat the whole pizza

I helped eat some with my chicken wings

We had to ride to an AM/PM store the next morning, no coffee pot in the room at Motel 6. Beautiful sunrise to watch

Good breakfast at the Carousel cafe, still a bit cool though

We had to ride back out to the Park entrance to get the required photo.

While I was getting set up to take the picture, a guy came running back from the entrance, he was from England wanted to take our picture - said he was from the "London Times" and was touring the U.S. and getting shots of America for an article. Donna ( always the skeptic) asked for his ID. He did have a press pass, so we gave him our names - so we might make the "Times" article. I'll post something if we make the cut...

We took the same route back to Amboy, had to get a better pic of the sign at Roy's

The new owner has dreams of restoring the old motel & cafe, hope he is successful - really enjoy traveling on RT 66 and seeing our history in these old places. There was a concrete block in the old parking area, don't know the origin, but it had 1917 on it, so had to get a pic

We took a different route back from Amboy to Vegas, wanted to go through the Mojave National Preserve, heading north on Kelbaker RD. I 40 in the foreground

getting setup

To get the required photo

Didn't think I had the right settings - snapped one of me walking back - yep, amateur hour photographer. You can tell Donna is getting a kick out of this

Big sand dunes on the way to Kelso, but we couldn't get closer, the road to them was loose dirt & gravel - not for this "K" driver

Coming into Kelso

The Park Service has renovated the old train depot, we enjoyed some of the exhibits and had lunch at an old style counter cafe

A fascinating look into the past - this was the jail cell that was used to hold people arrested in Kelso - mostly drunks - according to the exhibit sign, usually kept overnight, then released. Donna didn't stay in it long..It was kept outside, a tin shack was built to cover it from the elements - no ACLU back then

More Joshua trees on the way north on Kelso Cima RD.

I missed my turn and ended up back on I 15, I wanted to take the Morning Star Mine RD. and come out on the road to Nipton. We will take that route next time

Primm, NV. off in the distance

Back into Vegas, north on I 15

We timed our arrival back in Vegas to avoid rush hour, but still caught some of it, north on HWY 95

Home again, must be time for a cold "adult" beverage

We will have to go back into the Mojave Preserve, didn't have enough time to see all the old history. Total miles for this trip - 515
drmalacarne
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As always, great ride report!
Thanks.
Guilherme.
dwerbil
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoyed it Steve. Looked like the trip was a lot of fun.

93 K1100RS ~ 2004 R1150RT ~ 84 RS ~ 78 R100/7 ~ 65 R60/2
Click for pics
Randy at Round Rock, Texas
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Pictures All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: