K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

K1100RS v. K1100LT Knee / Leg Room

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. G
Brick Rider

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: K1100RS v. K1100LT Knee / Leg Room Reply with quote

I am getting rid of my 1994 K1100RS due to a lack of leg / knee room and the somewhat bent over riding position (I have bar backs on it, not enough help).

I am considering a 1996 K1100LT because I really like K bikes for touring and because it is rumored to have a more upright riding position.

My question is.... Does the LT have greater leg / knee room than the RS? Are the footpegs located farther forward of the seat on the LT to allow for less bend in the knees?

I have looked at photos of both and they seem to use the same footpeg plate which appears to mount the driver's footpeg in a similar position.

Thanks
carp
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://cycle-ergo.com/

I have a 29 inch inseam and I have plenty of legroom on a k1100lt. Problem with longer legs is they hit the fairing. Check above site to compare ergos.
Mad Brick Rider

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both bikes currently and have noticed the LT has more "room". That said, i have installed lower pegs on the LT, and had the seat hump cut back...needs about 3-4 inches to really be able to slide back and change position. I also have highway pegs up on the crash bars...

The RS just has too much scrunch for me as well, for long rides. The RS seat seems more firm compared to LT. For some of these reasons, maybe thats why the R1200GS/A is so popular, its more roomy and not a Harley cruiser.

I thought about lowering pegs on RS, but already scrape toes on aggressive turns. Dont know how to make it more comfy really without messing with it quite a bit...therefore its been up for sale. Good Luck!

...that website above is super!...great for comparisons. Also, the rubber on these footpegs is thick, i've rode without it and didn't notice too much more vibration. A little is nice for traction, tho...
Lincoln, NE

Last edited by 552255 on Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Scott_Anderson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can gain more knee room on either bike by having your seat adjusted/modified, or a different seat altogether.
I have 2 different Russel Daylong seats and they are not the same seat as far as knee clearance goes.
One of the seats puts me forward about 1 inch more than the other and the rear pillion is about 1 inch taller as well.
Something else that makes a difference with your knee clearance, how much knee armor in your riding pants(if you wear them).

The factory location of the foot pegs are the same on both bikes.
I have ridden an RS and do have to say that it is a more "leaned over" riding position as compared to the LT. I stand just under 6' and do prefer the LT over the stock RS.

1995 K1100LT 0302044
1997 R1100RT ZC62149
2017 FLHTK Ultra Limited
Garmin StreetPilot 2820
Garmin Zumo 550
Garmin Zumo XT
"One who does not ask questions is ashamed to learn" Danish proverb
1997 K1100LT 0302488(R.I.P.)
Mr. G
Brick Rider

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

carp wrote:
http://cycle-ergo.com/

I have a 29 inch inseam and I have plenty of legroom on a k1100lt. Problem with longer legs is they hit the fairing. Check above site to compare ergos.

What a fantastic resource. I had no idea that site existed

Thank You ..... Gregg
Mr. G
Brick Rider

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your replies.

I should have mentioned that I wear a 33" pant inseam (34's are too long and with 32's I look like I'm going to the flood zone Very Happy )

I am concerned about lowering the footpegs because I too scrape my toes with my 11RS with the footpegs in the stock position.

I have done some custom seats over the years but when I have a seat built for my comfort there is almost no room left for the passenger, I am 6' 4" and 350lbs.

I currently have a 2004 R1150GS Adventure in the herd and find it pretty comfortable, but for longer rides I prefer a "K" bike for the smoothness.

I will keep working on this and try to figure it out.

Anyone in Ventura county or the San Fernando / Sta. Clarita Valleys (NW Los Angeles area) have a K11LT I could throw leg over. I don't want to ride it, only sit on it for a while.

Thanks ..... Gregg
E T
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in Antelope valley, tend to go to ventura often as its my destination for lunch, Love Andreas fish and chips there.. Maybe we could meet one weekend somewhere, I have been curious about the comfort of a RS.. All i have done to mine is move the bars some. besides that, all stock.
Turbine
Brick Rider

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:20 am    Post subject: K riding positions Reply with quote

Hope this will help http://cycle-ergo.com/

Motorcycle Ergonomics Simulator.
Ducati 705F1-87
K1100RSM-93
Turbine
Brick Rider

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:22 am    Post subject: A lesson in jumping the gun Reply with quote

I should have read the way through.
Ducati 705F1-87
K1100RSM-93
Mr. G
Brick Rider

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

E T wrote:
I am in Antelope valley, tend to go to ventura often as its my destination for lunch, Love Andreas fish and chips there.. Maybe we could meet one weekend somewhere, I have been curious about the comfort of a RS.. All i have done to mine is move the bars some. besides that, all stock.

Sent you a PM
Mr. G
Brick Rider

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I st on E T's K1100LT yesterday. A much more upright seating position but the tank, footpegs and seat all seem to be in the same position as on the RS. I could discern no difference in knee room and no relief for my knees on the LT.

Too bad, I liked the looks and features of the LT.
Ernie-NH
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy

Good morning....

I'd say..... looks like its time to do some creative foot peg "repositioning".... or only other alternative, buy a Harley !!

Regards..........// Ernie in NH
'95 K1100LT
'76 R100/7
confish86
Brick Rider

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 94 LT & like everything about it but the leg room. 32" inseam & my knees hit the fairing even with jeens on (worse with my over pants on). That is one reason i`m selling it & the other is my 2010 RT is much more comfortable, handles better & stops on a dime. HAVE YOU CONSIDERED A k1200gt (first gen) Just sayin Wink
1976 Goldwing (naked)
Mr. G
Brick Rider

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought an R1200RT this weekend. I'm really enjoying it.

Roomy, cruise control, electric windshield, Mayer saddle. As smooth as my K1100.

I will miss the light weight and nimbleness of the K1100 but for putting on the miles, the R1200RT seems like the right choice for me.

Time to PNO the K1100 and part it out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: