K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

slow tach 95 1100LT

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bsample

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: slow tach 95 1100LT Reply with quote

I've searched several forums for tach problems, but it appears the most common issue is with speedo's. bike is fairly new to me (less than 500 miles) and was in dry storage for about 5 years before I got it. New battery, etc.... radio does not work andI had to wire the fan with an on/off switch, but all other electrics seem to be fine. Bike runs great, no hesitation or erratic behavior. Speedometer works fine, never a hitch. The tach had always read very low (never above 3k), sometimes not at all. I've just pulled the instrument cluster and did not see any signs of moisture, all connections and pins on the board appear bright and shiny. Any suggestions?
Alan Walker
Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is probably a ground that is causing the issue after setting idle for so long. According to the wiring diagram there is a brown wire coming off the tach unit. But the tach actually gets its signal from the Motronic control unit which is prone to having grounding issues. Hope you find the culprit more will probably chime in shortly. Good luck.
76 Honda CB400F sold
Inge K.
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From your description I would guess that it is a power or ground problem, rather than a signal problem.
Here is the connections that is involved in this circuit:

I would have checked the three connectors at the top of the cluster carefully, these ones connects to the tacho pcb.
Remove the conductor film and it`plastic frame, and clean the contacts with contact cleaner,
and move the pins a bit forth and back in the female connectors.

It`s also a couple of connectors between the tacho pcb and the galvanometer, but it is a lot more dismantling to get acces to these.
It could be tried as the next step...it`s less likely that these are the reason to the problem.
bsample

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:13 am    Post subject: part duex Reply with quote

Once the front and rear cover have been removed I took out the small black screws that secure the PCB and film. I've not had any luck seperating the PCB from the tach or speedo. Its loose, but I'm concerned about breaking something as it still seems attached.... what am I missing?
Inge K.
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It`s enough to remove the rear cover....then the instrument needles is better protected.

After you have you have removed the two small screws (one at each side close to the bottom of the cluster),
pull the plastic frame together with the conductive film straight up at all sides simultaneously.

It`s held together by the connectors, pull up a thiny part at a time and work yourself around all sides/connectors, do this in more rounds.

Be careful so you don`t bend the connector pins!

Inge K.
bsample

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice Inge. It worked just like you described, I' guess that stuff is tougher than it looks. Results.... prior to assembling I checked continuity on the signal, + and - between the 3 pins at the top and where the wiring harness attaches. All fine. I have not had it on the road yet, but did fire it up and the tach will read up to around 4K just fine. It is still a bit lethargic.... moving slower than I would expect. my RT tach responds quickly to a throttle blip... the K tach gets there, just not as quick. So- it's better but I'm still not convinced its right.

I'll get it back together after work today and try a road test. Could someone give me an idea about how fast the engine should be running at a given speed in 5th gear? Lets say at 50 mph and at 70mph? That will give me an idea if it is really reading what it should.

Thanks for you help on this...
whyoldbill
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bsample wrote:
Could someone give me an idea about how fast the engine should be running at a given speed in 5th gear? Lets say at 50 mph and at 70mph? That will give me an idea if it is really reading what it should.

Thanks for you help on this...

That depends on whether or not a previous owner bothered to calibrate the speedomoter, which is off by about 10% out of the factory (it reads about 10% faster than actual speed)

When not calibrated, my 97 K1100LT showed about 70mph at 4k rpms.
Calibrated it's just barely over 60mph at 4k rpms

The desired effect is what you get when you improve your interplanetary funksmanship - George Clinton
sccommuter
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on mine in 5th at 50 mph-2900 rpms, @ 60 - 3400 and at 70-4000.
I've not calibrated the speedo and it doesn't sound like the previous owner did either going by what "whyoldbill"says.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: