K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Black Friday ride to Hel(l)en back

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sccommuter
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Black Friday ride to Hel(l)en back Reply with quote

I wanted to avoid the idiots at the stores on Friday so I took a little ride to Helen, Ga. Temp was 38 degrees when I started, so I had my liners in. I headed over to Clayton Ga and turned south on Hwy 441. The first stop was at Tallulah River Gorge State Park

They've got a nice interpretive center there with many hiking trails and views of the Gorge.

The is the river gorge. It's 1,000 ft at its deepest. The deepest gorge East of the Mississippi. In 1970 Karl Walenda crossed the gorge at this spot. It took him 18 minutes and he did 2 headstands in the process.

L'Eau d'Or Falls
At this point it had warmed up enough that the jacket liner came out and the covers to the mesh on my flex pants came off.Headed south on "Historic" Hwy 441. Not sure why it's historic, but at least it's a 2 lane with curves. The next stop is Dahlonega Ga. A former gold mining boom town from 1829. The old town square is nicely restored with shops, cafes and a gold museum. There's thankfully an Irish pub just off the square!
Heading out of Dahlonega towards Helen I come across an old Cherokee Indian grave.

Of course I added a stone, as I can use all the good fortune I can get.

From here I head on towards Helen on Hwy 19

When I arrive in Helen I discovered some of the Black Friday shoppers were in town to celebrate Fasching.

Helen is a former gold town and then a timber town in the 1800s. Once these industries played out the town started to die. Concerned citizen came up with the plan to make Helen an alpine village. Today all building are in a style of a Swiss/ German village.Helen is now the center for outdoor recreation in the area.
After leaving Helen I headed to Clayton by way of Burton Lake. Excellent roads thru here with sweepers and twisties. Lake Burton was looking rather low from our prolonged drought.After Clayton I headed for home. I put 201 miles on the ride.
Blackk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good ride!. And very nice places.
B
Steve L
Brick Rider

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great ride! Thanks for posting the pics.

1996 K1100 LT
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Pictures All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: