K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kafé bike project (major stages only)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeverett486
Brick Rider

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:35 am    Post subject: Kafé bike project (major stages only) Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I initiated posting pictures of my kafé bike project as a "pictures thread topic". However, having passed the point of no return with her disassembly, I think it's time to start a "tech thread topic."

Now is the time for customization and reassembly. I don't plan on doing a detailed, step-by-step chronicle here; I will only post major (daily) progress reports.

Her she is sans clothing, ABS, exhaust, air box, and main wiring harness. I started the rear-end modifications by hacking off the rear hoop and bag mounts. I am debating about taking the frame completely off, chopping it in the middle (seat area), and recreating a trimmer mid-section.

It's incredible to sit on her at this stage and experience a very well-balanced, light k-bike.

drikko
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interested to watch your progress on this one. I was thinking of selling my RS later in the year but might do something like this instead. Piss off 90% of the electricals etc etc.

DISCLAIMER:- Anything I say may have been when I was drunk so please don't take it personally.

'Bigamy is having one wife/husband too many. Monogamy is the same.'
Oscar Wilde
jeverett486
Brick Rider

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drikko wrote:
Interested to watch your progress on this one. I was thinking of selling my RS later in the year but might do something like this instead. Piss off 90% of the electricals etc etc.

Keep your bike. The value of old K bikes isn't worth the hassle of selling. Just have fun with her.

Regarding my conversion/customization:

I think the two biggest challenges will be re-wiring a simpler instrument cluster and removing all the superfluous tubing under the tank.

Truly amazing how many meters of tubing are "wasted" recirculating fluids! Thinking back to my airheads, fuel went into the carburetor and exhaust went out the mufflers. When did combustion engines become rocket science.

I'll keep everyone posted.
drikko
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you could get rid of about 30kgs of wiring by shifting to one of the neat speedo/tacho units now available for a few hundred bucks, you have already ditched the ABS, you can get rid of the BMU and a whole stack of other stuff. I guess the FI stuff has to stay but could be tidied up immensely.

It's a project for later this year to look at.

Yer right, the RS is way too good a bike to sell at the price it would get here, but it just aint getting used enough!

DISCLAIMER:- Anything I say may have been when I was drunk so please don't take it personally.

Oscar Wilde
AUSBRICK
Mad Brick Rider

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: WIRING ON CAFE Reply with quote

Gidday , I have done the wiring when I did my cafe , Useing the wiring digram from a manual I removed the wiring for the abs ,you need to add a power from an ignition source for the fuel pump that origanally came from abs . I used a digital speedo with fuel, temp , and usual warning and indicator lights built in, all can work off existing k wiring it just requires tracing wires with colour code and lots of time to nut it out. The speedos run there own sensor which can be fitted to the front fork where the old abs sensor was, some units do give reference to using the existing sensor on some of the r series bmw s not sure if the k s is the same I suspect it is but chose the one that came with it. I used the danmotto cockpit unit www.danmotto.com this unit is cheap but its starting to fail after 18 months .I'm now looking at the speedwell units and will get one soon can let you know how it works if you want they are more expensive but seem to be a better quality also sold locally .Danmotto do a good set of clipons that suit well 41mm fits but you need to drop your forks through a fair bit , losing all the weight this works well and the bike handles very well I put in heavier oil and some spacers to up the preload. Having done this to a k all I can say is just go for it there not worth selling and you end up with a fun bike for very little. There are photos on this site of mine , still haven't painted it as I'm always riding it ,maybe this winter Cheers ausbrick
drikko
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ab, yeah I was going to find your threads and point them out.

Also yes that's the brand I was trying to think of, Speedwell. That's what the Laverda guys have been using on their old bikes, to replace either the Lucas, Veglia (Vagulier) or ND units when they go phut or hit the deck. They seem to work well. For a speedo pickup you can magnetise one of the bolts in the diskbrake carriers and the pickup will work or drill the bolt and glue a magnet in, either works OK. I would have thought the BMW speedo pickup would work too but once again it's a long wire run right down the back!

I'll dig your threads up and share here for jeve....

edit: It was Acewell I was thinking of, not speedwell :-

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=acewell&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Oscar Wilde
AUSBRICK
Mad Brick Rider

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your right it is acewell and danmoto has only 1 t in their address .
jeverett486
Brick Rider

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, drikko and AUSBRICK.

With regard to instruments, I was even thinking of staying with BMW and using gauges from a K1200RS:

I like the classic round gauges and thought this wouldn't look too bad mounted.

I can get this used one for around 150 AUD.

One would *hope* that BMW might retain some of the same logics in their electrical systems. But maybe I'm wrong. I need to compare the two wiring looms.

In any case, I have some work ahead of me removing the ABS wiring from the loom.

Wish me luck!

Jay
Rafal
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello!
Cluster for K1200 might work after harness rewiring. It looks nice too.
BMW K series uses inductive speed sensor with tooth ring. Usually aftermarket units use bicycle like - hall sensor + permanent magnet.
Another point to trim are foot pegs. Also moving stater button and ignition key to under seat area will cut wires short.
Loot at this: http://pipeburn.com/home/2012/8/17/bmw-rs09-cafe-racer.html , more photos under BMW K 100 RS09 search.
About airbox and vacuum hoses. AFAIK the box van be replaced with something else as long as you will provide good point for intake air temperature sensor. Crankcase breather can be modified in various ways. One was described here. I also thinking about using cyclonic separator from R1150 series - it is small and works better.
Another place of improvement is the radiator, go for 3 core from K100 + flat SPAL like fan. Yet measure it carefully if it will fit between frame pipes. I had tu cut mines housing :/, an inch less and it would be perfect.

Best regards,

michaelcurrin
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm ainterested to see how this comes out, been thinking about doing a cafe project, just hadn't determined what bike to start with.

Keep the pictures coming.

Mike
06 Ducati ST3
67 Triumph 650 chopper
AUSBRICK
Mad Brick Rider

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:45 pm    Post subject: AUSBRICK'S CAFE PHOTOS Reply with quote

drikko
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hhhmmm, so I've been ruminating and cogitating for a while and decided to not go down the cafe route. I've been wanting to do some dirt riding but worried that my inexperience and old body would come off second best on 2 wheels.... until I saw this video that a mate of mine did last year. Now that's definitely a plan! Anyone in OZ got or know of an old sidecar that's not being used!

I could easily convert the K11 into one of these! Big knobby car tyre on the back, beer in an esky. What more could you want!!!! Maybe a reverse gear but hey...dress it up like Mad Max hahaha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=S8eQFGDvY28

Oscar Wilde
jeverett486
Brick Rider

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rafal wrote:
Hello!
Cluster for K1200 might work after harness rewiring. It looks nice too... etc

Thanks for all the tips, Rafal.

Since I want to redo the wiring harness, I thought the k1200S gauges would look nice.

I have drooled over the RS09 bike, already. Although, I have different taste when it comes to the fairing. I'm still thinking a simple headlight solution, and no fairing at all. Time will tell.

I was also wondering about the radiator... I'll the K100 in mind.

I am definitely thinking of relocating the ignition switch (key). It will definitely clean up the upper triple clamp. Although, I hadn't thought about relocating the starter button. I don't really know how much I'm going to be able get away with here in Sweden.

Regarding exhausts, I have been thinking about one of these from RB Racing (http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/blackhole/bmwk100exhausts.html). Probably in silver. Nice and simple and allows me to use slip-ons.

Here is the latest picture. Airbox and wiring removed, shortened subframe, and bag mounts and center stand handle cut off.

I'm thinking I might as well continue with the disassembly. It'll make it easier to work on the frame and rebuild the suspension.

I would like to a flatter, narrower fuel tank as, but the stock one will have to do for the moment.

More pictures soon.

Jay
jeverett486
Brick Rider

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drikko wrote:
Hhhmmm, so I've been ruminating and cogitating for a while and decided to not go down the cafe route. I've been wanting to do some dirt riding but worried that my inexperience and old body would come off second best on 2 wheels.... until I saw this video that a mate of mine did last year. Now that's definitely a plan! Anyone in OZ got or know of an old sidecar that's not being used!

I could easily convert the K11 into one of these! Big knobby car tyre on the back, beer in an esky. What more could you want!!!! Maybe a reverse gear but hey...dress it up like Mad Max hahaha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=S8eQFGDvY28

Thanks for the great link! Jay
jeverett486
Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Frame off Reply with quote

Well, I took the plunge today and removed the frame.

Now, I can easily modify the frame. I will also take this opportunity to rebuild the suspension.

I'm really look forward to putting her back together.

drikko
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes!! Shocked Shocked Shocked

Oscar Wilde
dave n
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: more stuff to consider while you're this deep Reply with quote

modified footpeg mounting plate - makes starter removal much easier.

2008 Suzuki DR650
jeverett486
Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: more stuff to consider while you're this deep Reply with quote

dave n wrote:
modified footpeg mounting plate - makes starter removal much easier.

Thanks, Dave. I hope you don't think I removed the frame so I could get the starter out? However, I think your modification is justifiable.

Before I removed the frame, I had a dickens of a time getting this plate out. Just a couple of millimeters too long to pass by the frame mount. I actually removed one of the frame bolts to get it out.

Thanks for following my thread.

Jay
jeverett486
Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:49 am    Post subject: Excessive Reply with quote

drikko wrote:

You think my frame removal unnecessary? Maybe. But it is an excellent way to get to know one's motorcycle, intimately.

I only hope I can get her back together!

Jay
SugarHillCTD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drikko wrote:

I second drikko's YIKES!!

Well at least you will find the 5 or 6 little screws that most of us have dropped into the TINY area under the airbox Rolling Eyes

Aw come on now- everybody admit it- we all have dropped some little screw, washer or nut down into some unreachable spot. Then after half an hour or so of #@!&^**%$# and giving it up for GONE, just grabbed a replacement.

BTW, with the bike(?) broken down that far you ARE going to pull the trans back and check the clutch and engine/trans seals, right?

'92 K100RS4V Pearl White SOLD
'04 K1200GT
IBA Several-SS1k, BBG, 50CC NYC to S.F.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: