K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Time to hang it up?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sonu
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Time to hang it up? Reply with quote

Friends,

Two of my neighbors got into motorcycle accidents recently.

One was broadsided by a 90 yr old grandma in a Honda Accord. After multiple surgeries he is expected to make a full recovery. Rider had all the MSF training, gear etc etc. He did not stand a chance.

The other (I'm just learning) took his son for a joy ride. The middle school passenger did not make it. Dad is in poor shape too and attended the funeral in a stretcher. I do not know the details of the accident as yet.

As you can imagine my whole extended family & friends circle is now on my case to hang it up.

I've put 65K smiles on the KLT over the last 14 years and don't want to part with it although I've scrapped plans for a new bike (was eyeing the 1600GT). My LT is my therapist!

Question:
Have you guys run into similar pressure?
How did you deal with it?

Sanjiv
Stoked Steve
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feeling a little of the same thoughts right now myself, although not quite as closely or as badly as yours.

A local riding buddy on ADV recently hit a deer on the way to work and got thrown pretty bad. A few weeks in ICU, several weeks in rehab in hospital. He's doing OK, but likely won't return to work until after the first of the year.

The husband of a client of mine was recently riding the Tail of the Dragon on his Ducati when some woman jumped out from around a bend to warn of an accident ahead, causing him to lock up the front end and get tossed. Again, he's OK, just beat up with several broken bones, many weeks out of work, rehab, PT,....

These episodes causes me to pause and consider how much I enjoy riding versus the risks...and my responsibility to my family and friends.

There is no correct answer, only the one that works for you....
12 Suzuki DL650A VStrom
SugarHillCTD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do worry about myself.

But worry more about our daughter and her fiance. They are living 3000 miles from us (Santa Clara, Ca.) and both have their bikes with them.

But they also ride bicycles (mountain and road) almost daily- daughter commutes to and from work 95+% of the time on her road bicycle plus they run, ski and snowboard.

As the saying goes, if we worry about what could happen each day we would have to stay in bed.

We just have to expect the worst in each situation- sometimes it does happen.

'92 K100RS4V Pearl White SOLD
'04 K1200GT
IBA Several-SS1k, BBG, 50CC NYC to S.F.
Sonu
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:44 pm    Post subject: Thanks guys Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing your thoughts guys.

I've decided to keep the bike.

I will cut down on commute riding a bit till they come up with stronger anti-texting laws, and the kids are off to college. No joy rides for the kids. Only solo riding for me.

I cant get motorcycles out of my system and rather than hang it up now (the inevitable return after 10 years seems more risky to me) I'll keep up with pleasure riding.

And will continue to hang out here of course Smile

Happy Thankgiving y'all

Sanjiv
jpberens1994K1100RS
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Riding & risk Reply with quote

" You can killed walking your doggy! "

Bonus points to those who know the movie that's from.

Ride your own ride. Think on your sins.

Have you been at a road side accident which resulted in death?

I've seen both sides. Sever injury AND death.

They ran wide on a curve. I saw it coming like slow motion. He did great flying OVER the ditch, sliding across a yard, but the rock wall with trees stopped it all. I watched a husband hold his dead wife. Me, an EMT and a firefighter could not save her. Blunt trauma and a severed aorta did it.
A year or so later he succumbed to the emotional pain and decided to end it all.
It wakes me up some nights 30 years later.

Given the statistics, the epiphany hit me some 7 or 8 years ago that I had lost more friends, acquaintances, loved ones to cancer than I ever did to MC accidents. Consider the risk/reward ratio.

Do I think about getting killed, sure. I AM HUMAN!!! But being human I also have a resolve, a resilience if you will.

We are all wired differently. We cannot predict how'll we act when we face the choice to ride or not to ride. But we must choose. So if you choose to ride, don't give it a half measure. And always ride your ride.

Best wishes, and good riding.
garynali
Mad Brick Rider

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the never ending question Sanjiv. I'm 64, my first bike was an old Triumph, five quid at age 14. Along the way people you know get hurt and a few die. Is the thrill of a good ride on a great day worth it. All up to you. At times due to family and business commitments i've almost stopped but always came back. In the past few years i've been knocked off twice within a few kilometers of home. Both times the same "sorry I didn't see you routine" because you didn't bloody well look you git. So now no riding locally, take the wifes car . So why continue with the beemas. Nothing compares with the rush that I get on the old K1100RS . A cool clear winter morning, the smell coming into some North Queensland sugar town, the Sunlander train all polished aluminium and paint on the tracks beside you, keeping pace. It's a grand addiction. I'm hooked forever.
Gary C
93 K1100RS
05 K1200GT
TT250 chook chaser
Tim (Midland Section)
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In our close circle of friends, about 15 total, in the last two years we have lost:-
Wife (pillion in a motorway pile up) husband still riding, despite daughter trying to ban him from his bikes.
Husband, lifelong rider (known on here as K100 Martin IIRC) to the big C.

Just diagnosed as terminal big C, another lifelong biker who we met at the Norton owners club.
The Triumph I acquired this time last year, is from a Parkinsons sufferer. who will never ride again.

The odds of pain, in my case seemingly are in favour of old age / disease rather than a fender bender.

IMHO one should get out there with ones boots on & enjoy. All too soon those of us who survive the SMIDSYs, etc will eventually succumb to old age & disease, but at least we shall have some memories of those great biking trips whilst dribbling incoherently in our armchairs.

I for one will only stop riding when they prise my cold, stiff, dead fingers from the handlebars.
We don't stop playing coz we get old, We get old because we stop playing.

Grey haired riders don't get that way by pure luck
1996 Guzzi Cali3 LAPD
1972 750 Commando
G6HRN
Scott_Anderson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think about every-time I saddle up too.
A year-a-go in August I was getting ready to head out to work, looking at the bike, ready to throw my leg up and over and suddenly thought I didn't have my lunch.
Took an extra 2 minutes to go back in the house and grab my lunch and pack it up.
On my way to work, on a standard 2 lane road, I crested a hill and rolled up (#2 on site) to a semi-tanker truck(or lorie for our international readers.....) roll-over accident. The wheels on the trailer were still turning yet and the truck just stopped moving.
Yea, we looked for the driver, in the mangled cab- broken neck.
1st witness said that the driver was off the edge, over corrected, crossed the center line of the road and then flipped over.
Right when I would have been there had I not gone back for my lunch.

Really gives a person pause.
We can't live our lives in a glass jar. Either on my bike or in my truck, no matter the mode, we all take a risk when we leave home.

All we can do is ride our ride as safe as we can, and enjoy every last mile of it.

1995 K1100LT 0302044
1997 R1100RT ZC62149
2017 FLHTK Ultra Limited
Garmin StreetPilot 2820
Garmin Zumo 550
Garmin Zumo XT
"One who does not ask questions is ashamed to learn" Danish proverb
1997 K1100LT 0302488(R.I.P.)
hosehoundfr86
Mad Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: hanging it up is not an option ,,yet Reply with quote

I'm with those who believe that:

" Life is for the living"
You will receive the best in life
But only by you giving
The very best you can, you must
It's hard , and not forgiving
But on we go,because we know
That Life,is for the living,,,,,,,,

and I refuse to lock the doors and pull the blinds( unless it's bed time)

I believe if you live your life worrying about what might happen , you will lose out on a lot of what you could make (or have) happen,,
I have been a Firefighter/First Responder for 27 years,,seen my share of crap,and have been to a few bike accidents ,,, My K1100RS is my "therapy "(as well as my canoe,fishing rod, 4 wheeler, sled, guns, tools etc), The best defense is a good offense,, drive to survive and arrive,,You all know, on a bike,you have to have a head like the little " bobbing Dog" we used to see in the back window of cars , and "they" can still get to you when your least expecting it,,, Cancer and heart disease have taken too many people I have known,many younger than myself,,when your time is up,,so be it,, until then ,Live, Love ,and enjoy happy trails,,, In my humble opinion anyway,, Thanks for endulging me ::: Hilton
abreeze
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After i got hit in 2011. I was pretty much grounded for 12 weeks..and did think quite a bit about NOT riding again, and had little desire to either...BUT somthing happened during that time, I relized.

I can Iay in my bed, stay home .... AND NOTHING WILL EVERY HAPPEN TO ME!

I will never feel the wind on me, i will never see the sun set, I will never get to hang out with friends, on and on and on....'fill in the blank"

yeah, it was a very shitty experience, and still dealing with the affects of a major injury ...but nothing compaired to all the wonderful things ive expeienced 'living on the edge'..

Now i dont enjoy riding in town much anymore, and it is a lot more unsafe now than it was 10yrs.ago with all the cell phones and distractions and unchecked idiocracy...

But like everything, we weigh the risk..do what we can to make the odds in our favor.
Milton
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My motto, when when people start getting on my case about riding, is "you cannot live life in fear".

1992 K100RS 48K. Dead for now.
1998 Triumph Tiger 43K->56K. Doin it in the dirt.
1978 Honda CB400T 32.5K. For my boys.

sloan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:37 pm    Post subject: myself Reply with quote

I have stopped riding twice, only until i had insurance again.. lost a job and i have been out of insurance. SUIT UP and paste reflective tape everywhere..
BMW_Mick
Brick Rider

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my 2p's worth.

I am partially paralysed from the waist as a result of a spinal injury in 1981 (at age 1Cool. 3 Years later I smashed my lower left arm and wrist, broke my right wrist and left shin on my first ever BMW, a 3 week old K100RS. Both were not my fault. A couple of years later I broke my left wrist again coming off a Yamaha XJ650.

I now have asthma and diabetes as well. I don't drive a car. Never passed the test and have no inclination to do so. So I ride all year round (easier in the UK, not that much snow). I have lost friends, seen people die and get seriously hurt, on the roads and racetracks.

It's never occurred to me to stop riding. It's part of who I am. My Mum always worried about me riding but never tried to stop me. She was even proud that I carried on riding in spite of everything that had happened to me.

I can sum up how I feel about the risks thus:

I'll die the day I'm due to. Not before and not after. Anyone who says after I'm gone that I went too early I'll haunt.

Until then, where did I put my helmet.......?
exavid
Big Brick Rider

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 71 and have thought about hanging up the helmet a few times, once after a near miss by a car that ran a light. Had a couple of close calls on the road driving charter buses after I retired. The point is quitting riding wouldn't increase the odds of my reaching 85 much anyway. Motorcycles to me are second best to flying, powering around a big sweeper is a great pleasure on a bike. I like sailing and flying too, I guess it's just got to be something that leans in the turns. One thing for certain, this guy isn't going to trike a bike and turn it into a dead thing. Go for the gusto, there's only one shot at the trip!

Molon Labe
dave n
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:41 am    Post subject: HANG IT UP ? Reply with quote

Quote:
The lyrics at 4:33 are some of my favorite from any song. "One thing I have found, there are just two ways to go, it all comes down, to living fast or dying slow."

from "Dreadful Selfish Crime" -- Robert Earl Keen

great song from a great entertainer --

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfqYnPjPrOQ

Is riding motorcycles selfish ?
2008 Suzuki DR650
bikesnbones
Big Brick Rider

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Time to hang it up? Reply with quote

Sonu wrote:
Question:
Have you guys run into similar pressure?
How did you deal with it?

Sanjiv

There was this guy in a motorcycle club I used to belong too, who was on a suicide mission every time he went out.

It was quite a thing to behold.

I have never witnessed anyone dicing with death on a bike like that.

The interesting thing was that he had been riding over 20 years, and never crashed, or so much as dropped a bike,

One evening, his Wife came home and found him at the bottom of the stairs.

Turned out he fell down the stairs after tripping over the vacuum cleaner cable,

Life changing injuries, and he now needs 24 hour care.

I hope that helps put things into perspective
Stoked Steve
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been great re-reading all of these posts.

I can relate to all of them.

Ride on...
12 Suzuki DL650A VStrom
Sonu
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:42 pm    Post subject: I kept the bike :-) Reply with quote

Friends,

I got an earful from my (then 11 yr old) son ~ 5years ago and have not been riding much. I did keep it running with occasional short rides (~20mi) around town but even those were few & far between.

Fortunately I kept the bike.

Taking advantage of the COVID related "shelter-in-place" order I worked on the bike and got her going again.

Changed all fluids.
Replaced the fogged over temp & gas gauges with VDO meters.

Today I went for a ~150 mile ride through the mountains & the Pacific coast.

Here's a link to the only picture I took
https://photos.app.goo.gl/1iTeWsV7rxt3RfZg9

This bike still has a lot of (s)miles left in it.

Sanjiv
SugarHillCTD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sanjiv- good to hear from you again. I also spent some garage time working on both my bikes.

Daughter and S-I-L now live in SJ, they bought a house there 3 years ago.

I still agree with you about your thoughts of the dangers of riding. Especially now and in the future as they build autos with lots of distractions like touch screens, blue tooth everything, lots of warning buzzers and bells, etc.

I just ride expecting everyone else to do something stupid and many times they don't disappoint me.

Stay safe and healthy. California seems to be handling this virus outbreak better than many other places.

'92 K100RS4V Pearl White SOLD
'04 K1200GT
IBA Several-SS1k, BBG, 50CC NYC to S.F.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Campfire All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: