K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Importing 1995 LT SE to US

View previous topic :: View next topic  
flybd5
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:19 pm    Post subject: Importing 1995 LT SE to US Reply with quote

Has anyone here imported a European LT SE to the US? The SE seems to comply with EPA regulations including a catalytic converter, but the info on the web is different than that provided by customs. EPA web site says bikes older than 21 years are exempt from EPA requirements, customs say 25 years.

If customs decide they want to be jerks about an import, does anyone know where to get, or have, a letter from BMW stating the Europe models are the same as the US models?
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't bother trying to import a K1100LT. The resale on them in the US is very low. You can pick up a fairly low mile good condition LT in the US for a song these days. Definitely a buyers' market.
86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
flybd5
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flying Duck wrote:
I wouldn't bother trying to import a K1100LT. The resale on them in the US is very low. You can pick up a fairly low mile good condition LT in the US for a song these days. Definitely a buyers' market.

Moot point, I've got what I want, setup the way I want and tuned by good German bike mechanics who know the bike inside-out. It's going in the container with my household move. Do you have or know someone who has what I need?
N41EF
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What state are you moving to? In my experience that is the big part. The 21 years is the first hurdle. Some where like SC, I thinks its a quick title, California, Oregon or Washington is a different issue.
flybd5
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

N41EF wrote:
What state are you moving to? In my experience that is the big part. The 21 years is the first hurdle. Some where like SC, I thinks its a quick title, California, Oregon or Washington is a different issue.

There's no problem with that in Massachusetts.
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

N41EF wrote:

I've never imported a bike to Washington from another country but titling one from another state is cake. As long you you have the signed title from another state there's not even inspection required. All Washington cares about is sales tax revenue.

Going from a salvage title to rebuilt is a PITA from what I've heard though and requires an anal retentive inspection.
86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
flybd5
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The movers just delivered my bike. Now comes the hard part, figuring out how the RMV is going to handle the weird VIN and the German title. Smile
flybd5
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little over three months later and I finally got my German bike registered. After all the head-scratching and worrying, turns out I didn't even need a translation of the German paperwork because Mass. does German imports all the time. I had to make an appointment because of the corona stuff, but I got lucky and found an appointment in Springfield today. Got over there, all the ladies were very nice, probably because the place was empty, by appointment only. On top of that the lady that took care of me had taken German in high school and was jazzed to use it; she had never done one of these before and appreciated the exercise. $115 later and I got me a veteran's plate. Finally. Tomorrow I take it for inspection and we're all done. Smile

Oh, and about that weird German VIN, all they did was mark it in the system as a non-standard VIN.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: