K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First impressions of my Tesla Model Y
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sonu
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grunter wrote:

Apart from the time it takes him to recharge if the charging points are all being used he has to wait. He does have his own charging point on his house.

Hi Grunter,

I do not recommend that anyone get an electric vehicle unless they have charging at home (ideally solar) or access to FREE charging from the Tesla network.

I have run a research group in the UK (Wales) for last 4 years and one of my engineers bought a Model Y recently. He's very happy with it.

Unfortunately UK does not allow auto drive Crying or Very sad
At least you guys have installed a good Hindu at Downing Street. If you cant get your electricity rates sorted out, let me know and I'll call up Rishi and bitch at him in Hindi Very Happy
Sonu
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grunter wrote:

The way forward is the increased use of hydrogen which to all intents and purposes inexhaustible. with the only waste product being water!

Hi Grunter,
The Toyota Mirai runs on hydrogen using a fuel cell technology and yes only pure water comes out of the tail pipe.

I drove the vehicle and loved it. I would not recommend this vehicle to anybody because there is no hydrogen distribution network that is viable and it is too expensive to setup a network.

Tesla has solved this problem with a wide electricity charging network.

By the way I have patents in the field of fuel cells (and an IPO with Bloom Energy). I would have loved the Toyota Mirai to be a commercial success but it is not happeing in my lifetiime. Toyota has now reversed course and is launching electric vehicles.

Sanjiv
Sonu
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:00 am    Post subject: 1 year update Reply with quote

Folks,

HAPPY NEW YEAR

It's been a year with the Tesla Model Y
Added 22,359 trouble free miles on it.

It has had 3 major software updates during the year adding to its autodrive capabilities and parking capabilities in particular.

I've become quite comfortable using autodrive on long roadtrips and it does significantly reduce driver fatigue.

Sanjiv
Jim
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update.

Not at all interested in a Tesla - hoping to snag a Rivian R1T in the next year or so.
1992 K75RTP 46,000

"We shall not all die, but we shall all be changed."
Grunter
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this a car forum or a motorcycle one? Just asking!
SugarHillCTD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

Campfire area on the forum.

Anything (in good taste of course) is OK.

So let's combine bikes and autos (and some "horsing" around) Very Happy

'92 K100RS4V Pearl White SOLD
'04 K1200GT
IBA Several-SS1k, BBG, 50CC NYC to S.F.
Sonu
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim wrote:
Thanks for the update.

Not at all interested in a Tesla - hoping to snag a Rivian R1T in the next year or so.

I love the looks of Rivian.

They are also rolling out an impressive charging network but its pretty slow (overnight charging as opposed to ~30 min)

They offer free charging for now even for my Tesla. I always dock my car at the Rivian charging station at Yosemite. Enough juice to make the 200 mile drive home for free Very Happy
Grunter
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any electric vehicle 2 or 4 wheeled has as much charm as a dose of Covid 19
Jim
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the Rivian website:

"When you’re out and about, fast chargers can add up to 140 miles of range in 20 minutes. Rivian vehicles feature a CCS standard plug so you can charge with any public charging network, as well as Rivian chargers. Strategically located to unlock popular destinations, the Rivian Adventure Network is our growing network of DC fast chargers powered by 100% renewable energy."

Overnight is like a 240 or 120 volt charger.
1992 K75RTP 46,000

Sonu
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

Tesla Superchargers use up to 480 volts and can pump up to 300 amps, delivering charging speeds no home charger option can match.

I have used both Tesla & Rivian chargers on my car on multiple road trips.

The Tesla charger takes 30 min max to "fill up"
The Rivian charger takes overnight to "fill up"

I would suggest renting these electric vehicles before buying. I rented a couple Teslas, a polestar and an Audi for multiple days. Also drove a Bolt & a Mustang.

If your use pattern is around town or a single leg (~200 miles) to campgrounds where you park overnight then a Rivian should be just fine. Personally I would research more if you plan long distance drives that do not involve overnight charging.

Cheers

Sanjiv

P.S. Real world experience: Buddy showed up for drinks after work last night. He arrived with 2% charge at my home in his Tesla Model 3. Two hours later (while we drank & had a meal) his car was already at 40% on my 240V home charger.

Teslas mastery of battery degradation & charging technology is the main reason I went with a Tesla even though I don't care for their appearance.
Jim
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sanjiv,

Thanks for sharing your real world experience.

Not interested in a sedan or "cybertruck".

I did have the use of a friend's Bolt for a period of time - liked it well enough - but I need a pickup truck. I also installed a Level 2 charger for the Bolt in the friend's garage.

My youngest brother has a Kona EV.

I'm not exactly a stranger to EVs - figure Rivian will work well for my needs. I know the company is still sorting some battery and charging issues - figure those will be dealt with for the most part by the time I'm ready to buy.
1992 K75RTP 46,000

Sonu
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jim,

I would certainly consider a Rivian if I was looking at a pickup. Cybertruck is too Fugly for my liking.

Please do post your experiences if/when once you get one. We are all learning about EV's.

All the UPS vans in my neighborhood have upgraded to Rivian vans. I do not know if this is happening across the country or whether it is a pilot in Silicon Valley. Either way Rivian is carving out a market for itself & gaining traction.

Sanjiv

P.S. In case you have not thought about it already, consider leasing one since the battery technology is changing too fast. That is about the only thing I'd do differently with my EV purchase.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Campfire All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: