K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Some Ignert Questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BexarWolf
Big Brick Rider

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Some Ignert Questions Reply with quote

I've had my '94 K11RS for right at a month. I've put just under 1,000 miles on it since I got and I'm loving every mile of it.

Here are the ignert questions.

How can I tell if it's low on oil? A full service was performed on the bike 1,300 mile before I got it. Oil, filter, gear oil, plugs. I didn't check the oil level when I picked it up because honestly, I wasn't sure how and when I found out, the lower belly pan just made it difficult for me to get on the floor to check it. Now, I have checked it and can't figure out if it's low or not. Whether it's on the center stand or side stand, I can't tell if I'm seeing oil in the sight glass or not. I can't tell if the oil is so clean I can't see it or if it's so low I can't see it. Can you tell? This is while it's on the center stand.

Next ignert question.

Is the clutch a wet clutch or dry clutch? Do I need to avoid oils with friction modifiers like I did in my thumper due to the wet clutch?

And last ignert question for now.

What is the purpose of the unused holes next to the clutch and brake levers? They appear to have threads in them so I assume they serve a purpose on one bike or another. I'm just curious what they are and see if I can find a use for them. Smile

"Sit tall in the saddle, hold your head up high. Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky. Live like you ain't afraid to die. Don't be scared, just enjoy your ride" ~ Chris LeDoux
DLBass
Mad Brick Rider

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From that picture of the sight glass you need to top up with oil until the oil is a visible line at the mid point.

Dry clutch

Drillings to accept mirrors, which the RS doesn't need due to the ones mounted on the fairing

Top up the oil and enjoy the ride Very Happy
BexarWolf
Big Brick Rider

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<deep bow>

Many thanks! Next is trying to figure which oil. I know I know. Don't want to start the "_____ oil is best" debate. I just remember as a kid (MANY years ago) my dad trashing me for mixing oils in my car. "Boy, you put Penzoil in that thing when you changed the oil. Why are you adding a quart of Quaker State??".

I'll grab a quart of Quaker State and top it off.

Thanks!

"Sit tall in the saddle, hold your head up high. Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky. Live like you ain't afraid to die. Don't be scared, just enjoy your ride" ~ Chris LeDoux
drikko
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of oil threads here Laughing Laughing I just use Valvoline XLD 20W-50 or Castrol GTX2 20W-50 on all my vehicles, whichever one is on special at the time. These engines don't seem to like synthetic oil, fell right through mine.

DISCLAIMER:- Anything I say may have been when I was drunk so please don't take it personally.

'Bigamy is having one wife/husband too many. Monogamy is the same.'
Oscar Wilde
BexarWolf
Big Brick Rider

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've never used synthetics on my own in my vehicles. The last new car we bought came with synthetic so we're keeping it that way.

I'm not an engineer and don't own a pair of calipers so if I can't take 2 identical vehicles and driver them exactly the same and then test the wear myself to see a difference........oil is oil.

Tim (Midland Section)
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drikko wrote:
Plenty of oil threads here Laughing Laughing These engines don't seem to like synthetic oil, fell right through mine.

IMNSHO, which is a self imposed rule for all my bikes & cages is " to use oil of a type for which the engine was designed"
SO the Norton gets straight 40 & the K gets Semi Synth, 60,000 miles on K's sort of proves this.

Some do drink a bit, dependant upon riding style & temperature, I reckon 1000 miles / UK pint.

Don't be tempted to fill above the red spot, it'll only burn oil till it gets below it. There's a thread somewhere on here about how to easily see the level on RS's one involves a LED for illumination.

Grey haired riders don't get that way by pure luck
1996 Guzzi Cali3 LAPD
1972 750 Commando
G6HRN
jpberens1994K1100RS
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: questions Reply with quote

Hey there.

Your engine could just be that squeaky clean and you can't see the oil?

Get the oil you like, drain the old, add the new till right level. Catch the oil filter next time.

If you can't STAND to waste that oil, then just buy your favorite & try topping off.

A small flashlight helps to see the level.

The engines are hard to kill. Run what you like and does not leak out and you are good for many many miles.
BexarWolf
Big Brick Rider

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind draining and refilling other than the fact it keeps me from riding for 30min to an hour. Laughing

I might get a couple of quarts, drain some out to see if the level changes and then top it back off. The last thing I want to do is over-fill.

quaddawg
Big Brick Rider

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is most definitely low. No oil is that clean after running any length of time at all. You can see a tiny bit of dark oil at the sight glass drain at the very bottom. Top it off or change it, it is for sure low.
Cincinnati, Ohio

1993 K1100lt touring
106K miles on the clock and rising
BexarWolf
Big Brick Rider

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sho' nuff, 3/4 quart of Castrol GTX 20w50 brought it right up to the bullseye. So that means I'm pretty much in the average of 1 quart of oil per 2,500 miles of travel. Wink

SugarHillCTD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My previous K1100 would burn a Qt in 700-800 miles during the hotter weather. I started using 2 Qts of 40w and 2 of 50w.

Slowed the burning down quite a bit. Just harder to find good straight weight oil these days.

'92 K100RS4V Pearl White SOLD
'04 K1200GT
IBA Several-SS1k, BBG, 50CC NYC to S.F.
Ernie-NH
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Good morning "....Wolf"

Our K-11 good friend and 'super contributor" the Flying Duck has this list of maintenance tips posted here in the stickies as well as on Moto-Brick... as a noobie, read it through and you can learn a lot about your new bike...

<<< http://www.motobrick.com/index.php?topic=339.0 >>>

Good luck, ride safe.......// Ernie in NH
'95 K1100LT
'76 R100/7
BexarWolf
Big Brick Rider

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Ernie. I actually found Motobrick.com before I found this lovely K11 site. I'm steadily studying both sites so I can familiarize myself with all aspects of this wonderful bike.

I am in LOVE with this bike (shhhhh, don't tell the wife although I think she already suspects something). I'm still working on finding the right seating position so I can enjoy some distance riding. I found the Master Yoda Riding Position http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,3010.0.html but I'm still tweaking it. But coming off a dual sport single cylinder bike....it's just taking some getting used to. Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: