K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just wanted to say Hi.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stein_VT

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject: Just wanted to say Hi. Reply with quote

As a new member, I thought a brief introduction might be in order.

I just bought a '95 K1100RS sight unseen and plan to take off on a 1500mile trip as soon as I pick it up. More on that later.

My first BMW was an '85K100RS which I bought in 2004. Prior to that I always rode (fixed/worked on) British bikes. Bought it with 70,000miles and rode for another 30,000 replacing only tires, battery and fork seals. I was spoiled. Traded that in on a '09R1200GSA which is my daily rider. In Vermont, that may not be an accurate description. I tend to follow the mantra of the old english sports car crowd, "If its not raining or snowing too hard to see, keep the top down". But it snows, and now rains a lot here. Along the way I picked up another 5 or so BMW Airheads which I restored in my basement.

Anyway back to the K bike. Some friends of ours, (my wife rides too, her own R1200GS) have keep a bike in Germany for the last twelve years. They go over every year or so and tour for a couple of weeks. Sounded like fun to me so this year we decided to join them. Reluctantly my wife consented to ride in the back to cut back on rental expenses, however it was still going to cost about $3000 for the two week rental. Except there was this '95 K1100RS for not much more money, available from another American that was storing his bike in the same warehouse that my friend stored his. 52,000 miles, always maintained, probably ridden three weeks a year. From the pictures it was clean with good tires. Based on trust my friend puts in the warehouse owner and my experience with my K100, what could go wrong?

Or maybe I should ask you guys, would could go wrong? What would you check after picking it up? R bikes I know, I can strip them down and rebuild, no problem. But a K bike is an unknown, even though I put more miles on it that any bike since then. Anyway excited to be back.
whyoldbill
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Just wanted to say Hi. Reply with quote

stein_VT wrote:
I just bought a '95 K1100RS sight unseen

Congratulations and Welcome!

stein_VT wrote:
and plan to take off on a 1500mile trip as soon as I pick it up. .

hmm. Assuming the tires are not old (check date codes on the sidewalls) and/or cracked, it runs good, doesn't leak any fluids and it passes a good shake-down ride, I'd say go for it.
I would not jump on it and take off without really checking it out first.

anyway, welcome!

Bill

The desired effect is what you get when you improve your interplanetary funksmanship - George Clinton
Bob_VT

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome from Castleton!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Campfire All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: