K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thank GOD,,,, and BMW for ABS brakes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hosehoundfr86
Mad Brick Rider

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:33 pm    Post subject: Thank GOD,,,, and BMW for ABS brakes Reply with quote

Got cut off tonight ,,Small car entering the highway from the right in front of a truck,in a turn lane , turning right off into where the car was coming from,,, the truck hid me from his view,even though I had moved over to the right so I could be seen by traffic entering there as I am familiar with the area . lucky I saw he was going and when I moved back to the left side of the through lane as the truck moved over to the exit lane , I was able slow down,and when he crossed my lane I was able to turn right and steer behind him as he pulled away. I was still probably at 15-20 MPH ,,going past his rear end,,,, needless to say I stopped and waited until my heart rate returned to normal,, Thank GOD ,,,, and BMW for ABS brakes: Hilton
SugarHillCTD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work!

On other forums I have read posts where some riders do not want ABS since they feel that they can brake better without it.

In an OMG panic moment, I want to grab as much brake as my hand and foot will give me and let the ABS brain sort it out.

'92 K100RS4V Pearl White SOLD
'04 K1200GT
IBA Several-SS1k, BBG, 50CC NYC to S.F.
exavid
Big Brick Rider

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I hear that, "I can brake better than ABS" stuff every so often. I've also heard the canard, "racers don't use ABS". The point is that it's true that a well trained person under ideal conditions could equal or better what an ABS system can do. The point here being "ideal conditions". Coming around a curve or topping a rise with a stalled semi in the road or a deer jumping in front of you aren't 'ideal conditions'. When there's no time to do anything but react the ABS will out do the ability of all but the most gifted of riders with lightning reflexes.

Racing is a whole different situation, mostly on tracks under good conditions and no blind curves or broken down vehicles hidden over the next rise not too many deer on race tracks either. Heavy braking in a race is usually when entering a curve to scrub off speed. ABS isn't needed there.

To me ABS brakes, headlight and brake light modulators, helmets and riding gear are all important safety devices which gives a rider a better chance out there with all that heavy machinery on the road with us.

Molon Labe
bikesnbones
Big Brick Rider

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

exavid wrote:
Yeah I hear that, "I can brake better than ABS" stuff

I used to be one of those people.
Then one cold wet day, I was travelling on the motorway in the slow lane at about 60mph.
The bike I had at the time did have ABS, which I had never given any thought too.
I was just coming up to an exit lane, when a car swerved in front of me, and slammed his brakes on hard before leaving on the exit slip.
It all happened in a split second and I had no chance.
I slammed on the brakes, and felt the abs kicking in front and rear.
They saved me.
If not for abs I would have been sliding down the carriagway on my ass, and would probably have been run over by following traffic.
To anyone who says abs is pointless, I say why do you wear protective clothing.
Is it because you lack faith in your ability, or do you accept that no matter how experienced and skilled you are, sometimes hazards can occur that are beyond your control.
kbmwrs
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago when I had my KRS and being followed by a friend on his Kaw a car cut in front of me and almost stopped. I jammed on the brakes and proceeded around him. When we stopped my friend said that was close....your tire lit up and smoked. But I didn't slide out.....stayed upright. ABS is GREAT!
KOG#43
KYO

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject: ABS Reply with quote

I have never been a great advocate for ABS brakes, on whatever bike I have ridden. Us 'oldun's' grew up without even decent brakes and they imparted a certain extra skill that I think riders who used bikes with ABS from the start will lack.

The only time I came to grief due to using the brakes,was on a bike without ABS but it would not have saved me in anycase. It was the rear brake callopers that siezed on.

K1100LT 1998 and K75S 1986
Sonu
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love ABS

They have only engaged twice in my 75,000 miles of riding.

Both times they saved my skin....

Sanjiv
BobZ(IL)
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a bit old school I guess. Still like to be able to lock them up. Couldn't make myself grab and stomp like ABS requires.
BMWMOA, CRBMWOA, ABC, K11OG #997

Live well, do good work, enjoy the ride.
exavid
Big Brick Rider

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a wet or sandy surface you don't have to "grab and stomp" to engage the ABS. If you apply the brakes enough to make a wheel slip that's all it takes. I was slowing down gradually approaching an intersection with my ABS equipped '01 Goldwing when I ran over a layer of wet leaves on a road one night. With only a slight application of the brakes the front wheel skidded on the stuff which brought the ABS into play. I was still able to stop before running out into the cross road with the bike fully under control. There's no doubt in my mind that without the ABS I'd either have gone down or run out into traffic on the cross road. I'd bet that when I went down on black ice in 1978, ABS would have prevented the accident. I was turning left off a highway when the front wheel hit a small patch of ice I didn't see. It was a small patch but enough to lock the wheel momentarily which dumped the bike. Different strokes to different folks but I'm a firm believer that ABS is a great benefit to motorcycle safety.

Molon Labe
bikesnbones
Big Brick Rider

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: ABS Reply with quote

KYO wrote:
I have never been a great advocate for ABS brakes, on whatever bike I have ridden. Us 'oldun's' grew up without even decent brakes and they imparted a certain extra skill that I think riders who used bikes with ABS from the start will lack.

Sorry, but I cannot agree with that.
I'm an "oldun" too, and the brakes on the bikes I grew up with, were so bad, you never had the confidence to use them, and so never developed good braking skills.
If I had gone through my biking life with machines with the handling and braking you get today, I would be a way better rider than I am now.

Some of the problems associated with abs, are more to do with the way the system is set up at the factory, rather than the abs itself.

For example, on my VMAX, it cut's in way too early on the front.
My first day out on it, I was coming to a junction and was just two finger braking no harder than I would do on any other bike, when the abs cut in and released my brake pressure just long enough to launch me nearly 2 feet over the give way line.

It was a heart stopping split second.

I can brake much much harder on my K1100RS before the abs cuts in, and that's an ancient system by todays standards.
drikko
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While some racers are still bravado enough to believe they can outbrake ABS there's plenty that would love to have them, I heard an F1 driver the other day say they don't have the 'advantage' of being allowed ABS.

It's definitely saved my skin a few times. These days if I have to ride somewhere and it's raining or I know it will rain I'll take the K just because of the ABS.

Which makes me think, why couldn't I take the whole ABS system off a wrecked bike and stick it on any 'ole bike?

DISCLAIMER:- Anything I say may have been when I was drunk so please don't take it personally.

'Bigamy is having one wife/husband too many. Monogamy is the same.'
Oscar Wilde
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Campfire All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: