K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What would you want first responders to know?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
N41EF
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:45 am    Post subject: What would you want first responders to know? Reply with quote

I've done much more bicycling then motorcycling over the last 30 years and I'd like to share an idea with you guys that has caught on in the cycling community.

Many of us wear a Road ID bracelet that has emergency information for first responders, it just so happens they have a sale on.

www.roadid.com

I have a bright red wrist ID sport, that is a velcro bracelet with a stainless plate. Mine has my name, emergency contact, blood type, no allergies, who my insurance providor is, and on no meds.

Some people note they are an organ donor, if they had a recent surgury.

Just thought I'd share with you folks.

For $15 its a peace of mind of thing. I wear it on the bicycle, riding the K, flying, and for international travel.
old guy old bike
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the little waterproof tube on my coat zipper pull. Have been thinking of changing to dog tags. I never wear a watch and hate things on my wrists so the bracelet idea is out for me.
Jeff
Scott_Anderson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I need to update it, but I have a USB thumb drive in my "essentials" pouch(in one of my jacket pockets) with all my information on it in a text file.
At one time you could have the information in a small sleeve that you could attach to the side of your helmet. Haven't seen any of those offered for quite a while now.

1995 K1100LT 0302044
1997 R1100RT ZC62149
2017 FLHTK Ultra Limited
Garmin StreetPilot 2820
Garmin Zumo 550
Garmin Zumo XT
"One who does not ask questions is ashamed to learn" Danish proverb
1997 K1100LT 0302488(R.I.P.)
SugarHillCTD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One related item since we are discussing "what if"

My older sister and B-I-L have been Porsche Club instructors for many years. Last year I took my sister for her first motorcycle ride from their vacation place in Vermont. She loved it- no way was I able to go too fast for her.

Back to this thread- she used her track helmet when we rode. But when we finished and she took her helmet off I noticed a small tube barely sticking out from the base of the back of her helmet.
Initially I though drink tube but Mary explained that it is connected to a folded airbag up in the top of her helmet.
Many responders now know that this can be used with an inflator to push a helmet off a crash victim's head without pulling on the neck.

Interesting.....

'92 K100RS4V Pearl White SOLD
'04 K1200GT
IBA Several-SS1k, BBG, 50CC NYC to S.F.
N41EF
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We recntly had a member wake up in an ambulance with no idea where he was or what had happened. He used a shoe pouch to hold his road ID and info. The first responders found the info and realized he was on BP and heat meds, kind of a big deal. We never found out if he was hit by a cr or just passed out, was on the news but no one ever came forward.

In the military we were taught to look for dog tags, or wrist bands for people with allergic info. I know you can put a lot of info on a thumb drive, I'm just trying to keep it simple.

I know they have a service where you list a web site and a user ID and the info is online.

In the old days there were stickers that told people not to remove a person's helmet. Never heard of the inflater idea, kinda neat.

I just want a simple way of communicating basic stuff, and with the name of my primary care provider they can get my full medical records.
SugarHillCTD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might look a bit dorky but what about a bunch of info on the chinbar of your helmet? That would certainly be very front and center to any responder.

Any interest? I can bring my office P-touch with me to HM.

'92 K100RS4V Pearl White SOLD
'04 K1200GT
IBA Several-SS1k, BBG, 50CC NYC to S.F.
old guy old bike
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard that the first responders don't have a means to read what is on a thumb drive and most likely would not even if they had the means.
Jeff
Scott_Anderson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

old guy old bike wrote:
I have heard that the first responders don't have a means to read what is on a thumb drive and most likely would not even if they had the means.
Jeff

Interesting, I was told just the opposite at a motorcycle safety forum 4-5 years ago.......
For me at least, I've got no medical issues, and I do have my cell phone ICE contact up to date.

1995 K1100LT 0302044
1997 R1100RT ZC62149
2017 FLHTK Ultra Limited
Garmin StreetPilot 2820
Garmin Zumo 550
Garmin Zumo XT
Ernie-NH
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Hi Guys...

Well... I think tatoos would be good !... the forehead is a great location !...plus I carry a contractor's trash bag and zip ties, so there will be no problems with the body !

See 'yall sometime late next week !!... PLEASE ride/drive safe !!

Regards...........// Ernie in NH ( still got snow and flurries here ! )
'95 K1100LT
'76 R100/7
Sonu
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What would you want first responders to know? Reply with quote

Last edited by Sonu on Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sonu
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What would you want first responders to know? Reply with quote

N41EF wrote:

www.roadid.com
Just thought I'd share with you folks.

Thanks for sharing.
Ordered one today Smile

Sanjiv
Widget Maker
Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 8:43 pm    Post subject: Helmet removal system Reply with quote

Here is a link to the helmet removal system using the inflatable bag. We have had it in Indy Car for at least the last 7 years. The other option is my Shoei GT-Air has removable cheek pads with decals to tell first responders how to use them.

http://www.amazon.com/Shock-Doctor-Helmet-Removal-System/dp/B001JOB2US
Sonu
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What would you want first responders to know? Reply with quote

Sonu wrote:

Ordered one today Smile

ID bracelet showed up yesterday. Awesome finish. You can custom fit by trimming the band. Highly satisfied customer.

I've added blood type, doctors # & preference of local hospital right on my road ID along with wifey's contact info. I do enter ICE info in my cell, but what if the cell is busted in the crash or the EMT cant get past the password screen?

Sanjiv
Scott_Anderson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: What would you want first responders to know? Reply with quote

Sonu wrote:

I do enter ICE info in my cell, but what if the cell is busted in the crash or the EMT cant get past the password screen?

Sanjiv

Yea, I never understood why authorities strive to push the "ICE" contact info when they know people password protect their phones.

Personally I don't password my phone for that specific purpose, besides, I've got nothing to hide from anyone....
One less password to have to remember......... too many as it is anymore.

1995 K1100LT 0302044
1997 R1100RT ZC62149
2017 FLHTK Ultra Limited
Garmin StreetPilot 2820
Garmin Zumo 550
Garmin Zumo XT
Sonu
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What would you want first responders to know? Reply with quote

Scott_Anderson wrote:

Personally I don't password my phone for that specific purpose, besides, I've got nothing to hide from anyone....

Agreed!

Unfortunately I'm still a mortgage slave and to access employer e-mail on my phone I'm required to have a strong password.

I like the Apple approach of a fingerprint detector for your password and actually am working on such a device for my day job....

-s-
Scott_Anderson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's one thing I don't have to worry about.
I work for state govt so I cannot acces my work e-mail account from my personal phone..... not allow by policy..... I might try to ask for ovetime reading my work email in my off hours.

1995 K1100LT 0302044
1997 R1100RT ZC62149
2017 FLHTK Ultra Limited
Garmin StreetPilot 2820
Garmin Zumo 550
Garmin Zumo XT
John Clauss
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott_Anderson wrote:
old guy old bike wrote:
Jeff

Interesting, I was told just the opposite at a motorcycle safety forum 4-5 years ago.......
For me at least, I've got no medical issues, and I do have my cell phone ICE contact up to date.

There is not a hospital in the country that will put an unknown flash drive into one of their computers. HIPPA as well as other regulations have made them very conscious of the protection of their data as well as exposing their systems to viruses and such.

First responders are too busy trying to save your life to look for or at your phone. If the phone is on your person you are busted up there is a very good chance that you phone will be rendered useless as well.

Roadid is a good product that puts the important information in the right place to be found. I need to update mine and I will.

It will bring you so close to nausea, it will make you sick! - Big Al
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Campfire All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: