K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sore, Tender Arms
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
beemrdon52
Brick Rider

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:07 pm    Post subject: Sore, Tender Arms Reply with quote

I can't be the only one who has sore, tender arms from riding their LT.
The pain lasts for days. It's both arms but more on the throttle side...I mean, right arm. Crying or Very sad
Any way to relieve this condition?
N41EF
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ride a bicycle for 2 to 3 hours at a time, and cyclist also have hand/forearm pain. I find that by wearing gel palm padded gloves helps, but best is to relax on the grips and ride loose. I switch my hands around on the grips and switch the rotation angle, and use my thumbs to take some of the strain.

I'm guessing cruise control would be a huge help, most of my motorcycle rides are back roads and don't know that cruise would be as big of deal to me.
Jim
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try changing your posture. I think there's a thread or two about that on the forum...

If you're siting upright, arms relaxed, and you don't have a deathgrip on the handgrips, I can't figure out what would cause discomfort.

I think my longest day (time wise) on an LT was sixteen hours - no problem with my arms. My butt hurt like hell from the German torture seat...
1992 K75RTP 46,000

"We shall not all die, but we shall all be changed."
whyoldbill
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed bar-backs on my LT when I first bought it to alleviate the same problem.
After 10 years and 80k miles, I'm still happy.
These are the ones I bought :
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/handlebar-riser-barbacks-top-clamps-bmw-ducati-gas-gas-honda-kawasaki-ktm-lc4-mz-suzuki-triumph-yamaha-pair-1-rise-1-pullback

The desired effect is what you get when you improve your interplanetary funksmanship - George Clinton
beemrdon52
Brick Rider

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. For some reason, I am not being notified (via email) of responses as I was.
Anyway, the LT position has not fit me from the start. For one thing, my feet are too far back. The handlebars just aren't right. The bend is wrong for me. I did replace the BMW "comfort" (joke) seat with a nearly new Corbin, which made a huge difference, but there is still room for improvement there. I don't know who they set these things up for from the factory but it wasn't me. Other than the ergo issues, I love the K1100 LT. The fairing is made for weather that is as cold as you want to ride in. I've ridden in 20's with summer gloves, heated grips on and electric vest and was enjoying the hell out of it.
N41EF-Yes, I ride bicycles as well and my seat is a good 4" higher than my handlebars on my "race " bike. I have no problems there. I think the pain has to do with the vibrations from the motor traveling up the bar.
My r90/6 has a thumb lock that I tighten enough to put drag on the throttle. That makes it more pleasant to ride. Unfortunately, BMW did not offer it on the K1100. I thought that I need something like a more forward seating position but maybe a bar-back, while being counter-intuitive for me, might be helpful.
A guy on another site mentioned filling the handlebar with bird shot. Not sure how I'd get it in there though...or keep it there.
BTW, I don't usually feel pain until I'm done riding and it's a few hours later.
I'm going to first try rotating the bars both up and then down to see if I can find a better riding position, and then go from there.
Any other suggestions will be appreciated.
Jim
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don - I was going to suggest rotating the bars...

There are different bar end weights available - there's at least one thread here - Flying Duck, I think. The wires for the heated grips run through the bars - I don't think I'd put anything loose in there.

You can turn the reply notifications on and off right below your posts - the last checkbox.
1992 K75RTP 46,000

SugarHillCTD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don- are you feeling it in your upper arm (closer to the shoulder) or forearm (below the elbow) or ??

'92 K100RS4V Pearl White SOLD
'04 K1200GT
IBA Several-SS1k, BBG, 50CC NYC to S.F.
beemrdon52
Brick Rider

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, I am feeling it about 4 or 5 inches on either sides of my elbow ...more on tendons, I believe.
SugarHillCTD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you might have a combination of things going on here (this from an experience as well as a professional point of view)

First with the pain localized to the tendons in the elbow area, you might be gripping the bars too tightly. Not as if it is a death grip, but tightly enough to cause some mild tendonitis which will bother you for a few days after a ride.
So I would start off using ice on the painful area of your right elbow almost immediately after your next ride and see if that doesn't decrease the symptoms over the following days.
I use a "cramp buster" http://www.crampbuster.com so I can rest my hand on the throttle more loosely.
Also depending upon your hand size, the grip diameter might be wrong. I have ridiculously large hands and the average mc grip feels like I am holding a pencil, resulting in arm cramps in a short period on time.
To address this I have "grip puppies" (foam grip covers) on my bikes. The combination of the increased diameter and the softer density allows a lighter grip on the grips.

These suggestions have helped me when I have had similar problems and I have helped several of my motorcycling patients with this (I am a Chiropractor).

I would suggest starting with these items before looking into positioning on the bike.

BTW, using some sort of mechanical throttle lock (ThrottleMeister, Omnicruise, Cruisemate, etc) might actually cause more of a problem. While it would seem that it could give your arm some intermittent rest, moving the throttle while it has increased friction could exacerbate the irritation to the tendons around your elbow.

I hope this gives you some ideas. The grips and the cramp buster are low $$ items so would be worth a try.

Stay in touch- we should be able to work this out.

John

'92 K100RS4V Pearl White SOLD
'04 K1200GT
IBA Several-SS1k, BBG, 50CC NYC to S.F.
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:20 pm    Post subject: Aside from knee room Reply with quote

That I solved by getting a Russell Day Long seat about 2" farther back, I have never had issues with LT ergos.

Keep your elbows loose and, as mentioned, avoid "deathgripping" the throttle and clutch.
86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:44 pm    Post subject: JMHO Reply with quote

But the biggest flaw with the LT fairing in cold weather is that it does not protect your toes from the cold like the K75RT and K100 LT/RT fairings did.
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
Buy parts HERE
beemrdon52
Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John, Jim and Duck. I think I am gripping the bar too tightly due to an uncomfortable riding position. First and mainly, I don't like my feet that far behind my knees. I blame the butt cup of the Corbin. It will not allow any rearward sliding. I bought it off of IBMWR to get rid of the torture device known as the BMW comfort seat. While it has made a lot of difference, I still can't move back far enough to get proper foot/knee alignment. Second, I hate the bend of the LT bar. It feels unnatural and keeps me from being comfortable. BTW, I also have large hands, size xl. I am ordering the cramp buster thingy - for the money, worth a try. The foam might be nice too. Will the elect. grip heat come through it?
Also, the "notify me when a reply is posted" check box is checked but I got no notifications of your replies.

FD, I too may have to cough up and get a RDL. I have the stock seat available for Russell to use. I mostly ride solo so I'd like the pilot portion to go back about 3/4 of the way, if they can do it. No, I'm not tall. I am 5'8" but need to get the correct body alignment.
As far as the lowers on the K1100 LT goes, I haven't got cold feet yet riding in the 20's.
Again, don't get me wrong, I love the bike and I am confident I can get these ergonomic problems sorted out eventually. Smile
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For an LT a RDL seat really is the bomb. Do some Googling and get in on a winter group buy for 20% off. Not pretty and not cheap but a great seat that makes my butt VERY happy for hours on end. (and not in a gay way)
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
Buy parts HERE
Scott_Anderson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 on the RDL for comfort. I have one for each of my LT's. My wife enjoys the Russel over Corbin.

1995 K1100LT 0302044
1997 R1100RT ZC62149
2017 FLHTK Ultra Limited
Garmin StreetPilot 2820
Garmin Zumo 550
Garmin Zumo XT
"One who does not ask questions is ashamed to learn" Danish proverb
1997 K1100LT 0302488(R.I.P.)
beemrdon52
Brick Rider

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I moved the handlebars down today and then went for a ride. It is much better. I moved the bar down to where the controls almost touch the tank on a full turn. The dash pad, which runs all the way up the bars would not accommodate the move. It seems that it will only accept a very slight bar adjustment. That's OK as I will do some surgery to it in the spring...as much as I hate to.
My elbows seem to be in a more vertical alignment vs sticking out laterally as before.
It's obvious that BMW did not design this bike for my 5'8" stature - That's OK cause I'm going to make it fit.
Weatherman2112
Brick Rider

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flying Duck wrote:
For an LT a RDL seat really is the bomb. Do some Googling and get in on a winter group buy for 20% off. Not pretty and not cheap but a great seat that makes my butt VERY happy for hours on end. (and not in a gay way)

From a K1600 owners site. (k1600 forum.com) Not sure if it's true.

"Headsup; NO more (discounted) group-buys... so says RDL.
RDL also said they may have a winter website sale"
beemrdon52
Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Weatherman...good to know.

I am going to call Russell on Monday to get the scoop. Smile

If anyone has a good one that they want to sell....
Jim
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully Russel can work with you on seat height.

I tried a RDL on the K - it only made things worse - I sold it. I'm 5'9" - ended up with a pretty nice Sargent that had already been cut down. Been using it for years with no problems.
1992 K75RTP 46,000

beemrdon52
Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jim,

You are close to my height. Can you tell me why the RDL was worse?
I am looking at a couple now from IBMWR so this is timely.

Thanks
Don
Jim
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don - the RDL seat height was much higher than the Sargent I ended up using. The seat was also wider than the Sargent - that probably added to the problem. That was why I mentioned working with RDL on the seat height if you were going to buy a new one.

I guess it's worth trying one. You can always resell it.
1992 K75RTP 46,000

Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Campfire All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: