K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just bought a 1994 K1100LT

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Folsoml

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:37 pm    Post subject: Just bought a 1994 K1100LT Reply with quote

Hi! I'm Larry and I'm addicted to rebuilding old motorcycles in my garage. I scan craigslist constantly looking for something I can buy for a song and fix up. For some reason, the bikes I usually find are Honda CB's from the early 80's. I've rebuilt numerous CB900C's and a couple of CB750C's, but I've also done several other kinds of bikes as well. Just today, I found a 1994 BMW K1100LT. The previous owner said it would turn over, but not fire up. I've never worked on a BMW before, but I'd never worked on any bike until the first time I worked on it.

This is just after I picked it up.

I got it into my work area and took a brief inventory. It has the side luggage and side covers.

N41EF
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the neighborhood. Searching the tech section is your new friend. Where you located?

Charge the battery and turn on the key, can you hear the fuel pump run?
Folsoml

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome. I'm in Tallahassee, Fl.

Yes I did hear the fuel pump running. It sounded like a small fountain bubbling in the tank. I thought it was odd, but I guess that's normal?
SugarHillCTD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WELCOME!

You might want to take a look inside the tank. BMW provided a nice large opening since the fuel pump and filter are in there.

Open the gas filler. You will see 4 Phillips head screws. Back those out and the entire gas "cap" assembly can be removed (might be a bit stuck with some gas gunk). Now you have a larger opening to operate in. BTW, if there is a silver funnel shaped device with a spring loaded flap below the gas cap assembly- you can remove it and eliminate it when you put everything back together.

There are a couple fuel lines inside the tank. These are pressurized by the pump so they should be tubing designed to be immersed in gas and pressure rated.

Sounds like you have a leak somewhere inside the tank, from a loose fitting, a split in a hose or a fault fuel filter.

I would start there. Let us know how you make out.

I had an '82 Honda 900F Supersport many years ago and always regret selling it.

Good luck with your K-LT.
John

'92 K100RS4V Pearl White SOLD
'04 K1200GT
IBA Several-SS1k, BBG, 50CC NYC to S.F.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Campfire All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: