K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ireland

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Brotherton
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 11:58 am    Post subject: Ireland Reply with quote

Been awhile since I've been here, great to be back. Looking for any members who live in England or Ireland that can help me with some advice, pointers and answer questions about a trip that's being planned to visit there. Will start out of the Netherlands, probably crossover to southern England, over to Wales and then cross to Ireland. Want to follow the southern route of the Wild Atlantic Way, come up the west side to Galway , Head towards Dublin , cross to England, travel through the Yorkshire Dales and then Newcastle to the Netherlands. England is no problem, need help with distances in Ireland.
Corkboy
Mad Brick Rider

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohh, you might as well start a tyre or oil thread Very Happy

No problem with advice - what specific questions do you have?

Also I'd suggest posting the questions on the k100 forum
http://www.k100-forum.com/portal

We have a very active Irish contingent there, with some very knowledgeable (at least long-winded) members who will even organise to meet up with you to sample some local beers when you're over.
'08 Transalp 700 (Gone)
Jim Brotherton
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first question concerns distance and travel time. The route from Kinsale to Galway, how many days should allow for if riding a casual pace , stopping to see sites, pauses. I know a very general question with a lot of variables. I thinking 3-4 days. Sound about right?
Corkboy
Mad Brick Rider

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jim,
we have a fairly laid back attitude to time and distance in Ireland. Everything is "ish", e.g. we will arrive at 5ish. It's about 20 ish miles.

The thing you must remember is that it's possible to get from anywhere in Ireland, to any other-where in Ireland in less than a day.

So you could easily drive from Cork (Kinsale) to Galway in a day, even taking in some sights. So any extra time is a bonus.

I'd recommend staying in Cork for a day - taking in the sights of our beautiful city. And meeting up with us for a few "Murphys", better stout than Guinness.

Then, take a day to go from Cork to Kinsale, Bantry, Glengarriff, and on to Kenmare. In my opinion Kenmare is much nicer than Killarney. It's less touristified, and has some lovely pubs and restaurants

Next day to Killarney , heading along the coast, having a look at the Blasket Islands and a load of other stuff along the way.

then on up to Galway taking in the Cliffs of Moher etc.

A day spent in Galway wouldn't be wasted, and we have a few members there that would love to meet up.

A trip to the Aran Islands would be good, but there is a wealth of stuff to see and do along the way.

So 3 to 4 days would make for a very nice relaxed holiday, with a mix of biking, sightseeing, city/town stuff etc. (Provided we get the weather)

When are you thinking of coming over?
'08 Transalp 700 (Gone)
Jim Brotherton
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will probably be a 2017 trip, want to see how many others I can talk into this. but you never know, could come earlier.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Campfire All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: