K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Crash!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grunter
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:56 am    Post subject: Crash! Reply with quote

I was supposed to be heading of on holiday last Monday but thanks to the incompetence of the deck crew on the ferry over to Europe the K1100 slid on a wet and greasy deck and came crashing to the ground. I was stopped just before boarding and then waved on only to have another deckhand move over with his back to me and without checking properly and put an arm out to stop me. The actual deck had no anti skid surface and was wet with a mixture of water and diesel oil. It was a bit like riding over an ice field!

I was barely moving fortunately but the front wheel gave up the struggle to get a grip when I applied the brakes. If I had not braked then the deckhand would have got a front wheel stuffed up his jaxi, I was so close to him!

I was not hurt apart from a few aches that became evident the following day, the crash bars at the front saved me. But the right side pannier bag broke away from the frame after the locking clamp shattered. Apart from a little bit of paint scraping on the pannier lit and the mirror popping of I think I got away lightly. I have already sauced a replacement clamp and will be fitting it today.

Now begins the long drawn out process to get the damage repaired and paid for by the shipping company. As expected, at the time they admitted nothing.

I will still be going, but by a different ferry company which will mean a 300 mile trek to get to the port instead of the 20 that I rode on Monday.
Mike d
Mad Brick Rider

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,

Sorry to hear about your 'off'.

My R1150RT was damaged on the ferry to Guernsey last year. I took photos and ensured that the deck hand did also. They filled out the paperwork, and off I went.

When I got back home I phoned their contact number, and once I emailed them photos of the bike damage and the way the front wheel clamp was NOT fixed to the boat deck, they just requested a repair quote. The bike was fixed a few days later, and they paid up in full.

Mike
Grunter
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:35 pm    Post subject: Crash Reply with quote

DFDS are a different Ball game. They are already back peddling and hiding behind the terms and conditions. However Terms and conditions do not override a Act of Parliament. They say that passengers driving on the ferry do so at their own risk. That's fine but if the crew do something that causes a crash then they must be liable (This is what happened!).

In their initial response I would have to claim off my insurance! No way as the cost of damage would not exceed the excess. I would thing respraying the pannier lid, the cost of the broken clamp would come to something around £100

However I have taken advice and been given several avenues to explore with a view to forcing their hand and there is always the small claims court as a final effort.

Actually the bike came off very lightly. I have checked everything under the plastic and all is sound and undamaged. There is a small scratch to the top edge of the fairing that I think will polish out anyway
The only thing I have had to replace was the shattered locking clamp that holds the right hand pannier onto the frame. I sourced a 2nd hand one for £8 and have used the original lock barrel.

It isn't really the damage I am worried about, nor the bruising to my ankle and upper arm - they will repair, it is their attitude and the point blank refusal to refund the fare because I cannot travel at any other time this year. In any case even if I did travel because it is in their eyes an 'amendment' I would have to pay a further fee and the extra fare for which I would be liable.
No, the complaint has been logged and I will take it as far as I have to.
abreeze
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn!

The good thing is, your ok!

Breeze
Grunter
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject: DFDS Reply with quote

Still no response despite a 2nd letter via E mail. I know they have received it so there is no excuse.

I had my trip away a week later, but via Stena Line. The prices are approx half of what DFDS charge and frankly they are getting far too greedy. The only downside is the 6 hour ride down to Harwich.

The scratches to the pannier lid were only superficial and looked far worse than they actually were so have polished out quite easily

The company D.F.D.S have a duty of care to their passengers and in my view they failed to carry this out. My next step if they don't respond within the next 5 days will be making a formal complaint to the Maritime and Coastguard Service who are the agency who oversee the safety of persons travelling by sea.

I know they actually take safety seriously because I made a complaint a few years ago concerning another ferry company involving a serious fire risk and the problem was cleared up within a month.
Jim Brotherton
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming you were using the Newcastle boat. I really don't like that boat. Had our helmets locked to the front wheel, the next morning there were soaking wet. I mostly use the Hull to Europort (I live in the Netherlands) , getting through Hull traffic sucks , Newcastle I find much better. Have also used Harwich-Hoek van Holland, the day boat going to England is not the best I find , you land so late, still need to drive over an hour to get to destination and usually dark by that time. For the most part, the anti-skid on all the boats could use an up grade.
Grunter
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:22 pm    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

They still refused to refund the fare for the missed trip however we have come to an agreement in that the missed trip will be postponed until the same week next year including all meals. Plus I have a free upgrade to an outside cabin!

I have gone along this route as the best way to get something out of it Because the new booking was made very soon after the fares for 2017 were announced they were correspondingly cheaper and refunded £24. I still don't like their ethos but - hey-ho, next years trip is already paid for!!!

I am not a lover of the P&O Ferries though. The 2nd time I used them they had stopped providing ratchet straps to secure the bikes and instead we were expected to use all our knot tying skills with greasy polypropolene rope. That has a coifficient of friction, akin to a banana skin under a shoe!

After complained to the the Ships 1st officer because of the lack of security and safety. His excuse was bikers kept stealing the straps! A 1st Officers prime duty is safety of the ship, passengers, cargo and crewe.
So when I suggested that all it took was one bike to fall over and leak fuel followed by some form of ignition in mid voyage and there is a potential disaster .... I asked him what is cheaper, replacing straps or replacing the ship?

At this he backed down and ensured that crew checked all the bikes before sailing.

I have never used them since, however I believe that straps are now back in use.

I have also used Stena Line from Harwich to Hoek van Holland but that is a 300 mile ride from home to get to and from the terminal. I found their ships to be efficient, spotlessly clean, and the crew always helpful. (Plus a damn sight cheaper than P&O or DFDS)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Campfire All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: