K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1995 K1100RS Oil in coolant.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HarrisBikeNut
Brick Rider

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:29 am    Post subject: 1995 K1100RS Oil in coolant. Reply with quote

Just completed the annual service on my 80,000 mile 1995 K1100RS. When I drained the old oil I thought that the initial escaping fluid looked like coolant but when the old oil was clearly emptying I wasn't sure. Completed the service etc yesterday and ran the bike to check for leaks, oil level etc.
Checked the coolant expansion bottle today to see brown liquid floating on the coolant. Putting a piece of kitchen towel into the bottle shows a mixture of coolant and some brown liquid (which looks, feels and smells like oil).
So my question is (since this can’t be good news....) is -

Head gasket going?
Combined oil / water pump faulty? Faulty seal(s)?
All of the above?
None of the above??
Something else?

I should add that the bike starts on the button, appears to run fine (certainly no issues on the last ride to my mums recently - 100 miles in total) and I have not noticed any overheating other when crawling through towns in rush hour - lots of stop / start but the fan kicks in fine. After running the bike yesterday to check new oil level / oil leaks etc, I noticed today the coolant level in the expansion bottle appeared to have definitely dropped.

As I am sure my lock down situation is the same as you all, I have time to fix this issue assuming its not terminal and I can get parts etc.

Stay safe everyone!

Bob
flybd5
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1995 K1100RS Oil in coolant. Reply with quote

HarrisBikeNut wrote:
Just completed the annual service on my 80,000 mile 1995 K1100RS. When I drained the old oil I thought that the initial escaping fluid looked like coolant but when the old oil was clearly emptying I wasn't sure. Completed the service etc yesterday and ran the bike to check for leaks, oil level etc.
Checked the coolant expansion bottle today to see brown liquid floating on the coolant. Putting a piece of kitchen towel into the bottle shows a mixture of coolant and some brown liquid (which looks, feels and smells like oil).
So my question is (since this can’t be good news....) is -

Head gasket going?
Combined oil / water pump faulty? Faulty seal(s)?
All of the above?
None of the above??
Something else?

I should add that the bike starts on the button, appears to run fine (certainly no issues on the last ride to my mums recently - 100 miles in total) and I have not noticed any overheating other when crawling through towns in rush hour - lots of stop / start but the fan kicks in fine. After running the bike yesterday to check new oil level / oil leaks etc, I noticed today the coolant level in the expansion bottle appeared to have definitely dropped.

As I am sure my lock down situation is the same as you all, I have time to fix this issue assuming its not terminal and I can get parts etc.

Stay safe everyone!

Bob

Isn't the coolant pump also the oil pump? I was under the impression that if the gasket deteriorates this is exactly what will happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CBtaioRMx0

Also, look here. Exact same symptoms.

http://www.motobrick.com/index.php?topic=5175.0
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, mosty like oil/water pump seal. Fairly common problem with K bikes. Sometimes it's just the seal, sometimes the shaft needs to be replaced too.

If water is going the other way too then you will see frothy stuff(water bubbles) on top of the oil in the sight glass after the bike has run.
86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
HarrisBikeNut
Brick Rider

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:09 pm    Post subject: Oil in Coolant bottle Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies gentlemen - appreciated! Supports what I thought as the bike hasn’t been overheating. I’ll have to drop the new oil (and filter?), drain the coolant and remove the combined pump. Fingers crossed the shaft on the driven gear is good.
I suppose I shouldn’t complain after 80,000 miles......
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't see why you can't just leave the oil filter in there.

If you catch the oil in a clean container you could reuse that too.
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
Buy parts HERE
HarrisBikeNut
Brick Rider

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:28 am    Post subject: Oil in Coolant Reply with quote

Well, got everything drained and off the bike as needed. Looked like a grenade had gone off inside. Mechanical seal wrecked, drain channel totally blocked because it looks like the Billy Bodger who had been in before filled a “U” shaped channel with blue sealant...... Drain passageway was completely blocked so no way drips could have escaped to signal the impending doom. And to cap it all, the shaft of the pump drive was badly corroded and “cream crackered” which doubled the bill.....
Ah well, Motorworks have sent all the parts needed so hopefully back on the road by the end of the weekend.
Thanks to all who responded and sent advice -appreciated!
Grunter
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:13 pm    Post subject: Rebuilding an oil/water pump Reply with quote

This is a task not to be taken lightly. One of the seals is ceramic and can be easily damaged when refitting the parts. The same pump is used on the K75 and K100 bikes.. I have had to replace the pump complete, because the previous rebuild by another owner made a complete hash of the job and damaged the gear teeth beyond further use.

The new pump was very expensive but I am now assured it will last for another 60K+ miles.
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding an oil/water pump Reply with quote

Grunter wrote:
The same pump is used on the K75 and K100 bikes.

Sort of. K75s use a different front cover that's not interchangeable with the four cylinder bikes. (I discovered this when I tried to fit a K75 water pump to one of my K1100LTs.)

K75: 11511460503
K1100, K100: 11511460257
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
Buy parts HERE
HarrisBikeNut
Brick Rider

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:21 pm    Post subject: Oil in coolant. Reply with quote

Trickiest job appears the fitting of the mechanical seal. Motorworks have produced a tool to make the fitting of this straightforward which I decided to buy. Update to follow once completed.
flybd5
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil in coolant. Reply with quote

HarrisBikeNut wrote:
Trickiest job appears the fitting of the mechanical seal. Motorworks have produced a tool to make the fitting of this straightforward which I decided to buy. Update to follow once completed.

If you decide to sell the tool afterwards, I call dibs. Smile
Jim
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about the '95 models - probably the same as '97.

If you're doing a rebuild, one of the seals or bushings - something in there is different in the rebuild kit. I'd have to ask Anton what the deal was - I don't remember the details.
1992 K75RTP 46,000
1992 R100R 24,000 - FOR SALE

"We shall not all die, but we shall all be changed."
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can look up parts at RealOEM

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/select?product=M&archive=0&series=89V2
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
Buy parts HERE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: