K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Headlight Question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Geoff
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Headlight Question Reply with quote

When I stored my '94 K1100RS a couple months ago, the headlight worked fine. Now, the low beam doesn't work. The high beam works fine, so I trust there's no problem with a fuse or the switch. I checked the connector at the headlight. Do I need a new bulb or is there something else I should check?

On another note...a post on the MOA message board said Sylvania Silverstar bulbs are short lived? Any truth to this comment? What's the part number for a Sylvania Silverstar for my bike. Does the Silverstar draw the same wattage as the stock lamp?
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It MIGHT be the switch but chances are that it's the bulb. If you have a voltmeter, then check the coltage at the socket that goes onto the headlight bulb to make sure.

Suppsoedly the US Silverstar bulbs are OK but what you really want is the European version. I don't know where you'd get one though. You might want to drop Jim Davis at Eastern Beaver a note http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/main.html to see if he knows how you can find one of the good ones in the US.
86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
Geoff
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the problem was the switch, why would the high beam work? Are the high/low beams on different circuits at the switch? I think it's the bulb, too. I'll visit a dealer tis week and pick one up.
Das Boot
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flying Duck wrote:
It MIGHT be the switch but chances are that it's the bulb. If you have a voltmeter, then check the coltage at the socket that goes onto the headlight bulb to make sure.

Suppsoedly the US Silverstar bulbs are OK but what you really want is the European version. I don't know where you'd get one though. You might want to drop Jim Davis at Eastern Beaver a note http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/main.html to see if he knows how you can find one of the good ones in the US.

http://www.powerbulbs.com/product_list.asp?cat1=44&cat2=3

Try the Osram H4 Silverstars. I think they are best bulbs that you can drop in without any modifications.
Klinker
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight Question Reply with quote

Geoff wrote:
...Sylvania Silverstar bulbs are short lived? Any truth to this comment?

YES!

And spread the word!

I burned through three sets of these over-priced P'sOS in the family car (with DRL's) in less than a year. Finally got smart and switched to a set of OEM long-life types which are still burning after three years.

Only the Reasonists. They believe in an evidence-based world, something called Rationalism. But it's a tiny group, not so influential.
- Page Griffin
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geoff wrote:
If the problem was the switch, why would the high beam work? Are the high/low beams on different circuits at the switch? I think it's the bulb, too. I'll visit a dealer tis week and pick one up.

There's different sets of contacts in the switch for the high and low beams.

There is a remote chance it's the switch. All of the power for the light goesthorugh the switch. This is why many people add relays and upgrade the wiring - more voltage to the bulb (=more light) and less chance of the switch crapping out.

I'd recommend getting some of the 55/60 "Superwhite" Xenon "HID"(they aren't really HID) H-4 bulbs that guys sell on ebay. They are inexpensive - now less than $10 a pair including shipping and from my experience they last about 25k miles.

Search ebay with "xenon h4"

Example:
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
Buy parts HERE
Geoff
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
Jim
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: hedlight Reply with quote

Geoff - I have Sylvania something (maybe Silverstar) bulbs that came from Europe. They're quite bright - haven't burned one out yet. I use a headlight relay from Jim at Eastern Beaver.
1992 K75RTP 46,000

"We shall not all die, but we shall all be changed."
mrsevendog
Big Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link in the states to get the euro version of silverstars. http://murpskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_28&products_id=60&osCsid=2d9438e31cb057ffc8666ee87e01fb97
wera32
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geoff, Take the bulb out and look at it. If it's burned out you'll be able to tell and if it looks ok just check for continuity between the pins on the bulb. If you have and "open" the bulb is bad.
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good solution for the future is to just not store your bike anymore. Surprised
mnb
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flying Duck wrote:
I'd recommend getting some of the 55/60 "Superwhite" Xenon "HID"(they aren't really HID) H-4 bulbs that guys sell on ebay. They are inexpensive - now less than $10 a pair including shipping and from my experience they last about 25k miles.

Search ebay with "xenon h4"

Example:

Just did that a couple weeks ago. Picked up some UTech Super Plazma Xenon H4 55/60 "HID" bulbs. They're not really HIDs. And for some dumb reason, they blue tinted the bulb glass to make it look cool I'd rather it were clear... it'd be brighter. With shipping and everything, I paid $18 for a pair of bulbs.

I've never actually replaced the blub on my K bike. I can't recall the headlight ever burning out. I can reach the back of the assembly without removing anything from the bike. It's got a rubber boot around it. Is there any trick to removing this that I should know about (haven't tried yet). And once that's out of the way, the bulb socket assembly pulls out straight? Or twists out? I have some latex gloves to use for handling the bulb (although I'm going to use a paper towel as well in case there's powder on the gloves.
Geoff
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off the grid wrote:
A good solution for the future is to just not store your bike anymore. Surprised

I wish!

I'm going to pick up an OEM bulb from a dealer and replace the one on the bike. If the problem is something else, I'll just have a spare bulb. The replacement procedure is easy. What's difficult is accessing the bulb from the back of the headlight. It's tough for someone with large hands.
Mystic Red
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is there any trick to removing this that I should know about (haven't tried yet). And once that's out of the way, the bulb socket assembly pulls out straight? Or twists out?

Just peel back the rubber boot. It's pretty tough. Behind that is a wire clip holding in the assembly. Squeeze it together and swing it out of the way. Remove bulb. Plug in the new bulb and insert assembly back in. Put in clip by squeezing it together and snapping it in place. It's more simple than it sounds and is covered in your owners manual. Smile
K11 OG #466
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure on your year but some of the RT/LT/RS headlights have a little ring holding the bulb in. You have to turn the little ring (sharp edges) to get the bulb out and getting it poistioned right to put it back in is a PITA with the LT fairing.

Be thankful if you pull back the rubber boot and find the kind where you just have to squeeze the two halves of the clip together.

i wouldn't owrry about wearing gloves - it's pretty easy to install the H4 bulb without touching the glass. When I do inadvertently touch the bulbs, I just clean them off with rubbing alcohol.
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
Buy parts HERE
mnb
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mystic Red wrote:
It's more simple than it sounds and is covered in your owners manual. Smile

Heh, didn't think of checking that. It's not in the service manual, however (I checked).

thanks! I figured it wasn't difficult, but sometimes things work in a way you didn't expect and as the bike is getting old and things are slowly getting brittle, I figured I'd ask.

Last edited by mnb on Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Geoff
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up a replacement bulb. (Haven't installed it yet.) The dealer I visited advised me to stick with the stock bulb because higher wattage bulbs can actually melt the headlight assembly.
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI: A xenon bulb of the same wattage (55/60W) will produce more light and less heat than a comparable halogen 55/60W.

What your dealer was referring to was running a higher wattage halogen bulb. For example, if you ran a 90/100W halogen then it would produce more heat and probably melt the headlight casing and/or burn the reflctor.

However, the bigger issue if you haven't upgraded to relays is that with all of the power gouing throug hthe switch it probably won't last long.

I have relays and upgraded wiring on both of my bikes and run 90/100W xenon bubls in both of my bikes. I've put about 8k on the LT since doing this and had no problems. I did the same on my K100RS4V and had no problems and put 10k on that without incident - and that includes long hours in the saddle in SoCal during the summer months.

The only "issue" I have is that I have running a 90/100 xenon H4 is that I have to be very careful about verticla beam alignment of the low beam because if the low beam is hitting the eyes of oncoming cars or carsi in front of me at night it will not be good - not to mention the possiblity of getting a ticky since 90/100W bulbs of any kind are technically illegal for on road use.

That said, the increased brightenss of running a 90/100W xenon has made a noticeable difference in the number of cars that "don't see me" so I'm sold on this setup.

The other nice thing about the xenon bulbs is that they have a bluer less yellow appearance so your from the front your bike doesn't look like the antigue from the last century that it is.

If you don't plan on installing relays, I'd strongly recommend giving a <
$10 a pair set of xenons from ebay a try. It's only $10/pair and you might just like it - the lighting at night will be improved at the very least.

WARNING: Do not run a 90/100W xenon bulb unless you have installed relays and upgraded the headlight wiring - either with one of Jim Davis' kits or using "roll-your-own" relays like i haveon the RS and my brother's K75S. Otherwise you will fyr the skimpy stock wiring or at the veyr least, greatly reduce the lifespan of the hi/lo switch.
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
Buy parts HERE
Geoff
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed a replacement (stock) bulb and everything works fine. Life is good again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: