K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Probelms on day two of ownership - K1100RS

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rolfieh

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:37 am    Post subject: Probelms on day two of ownership - K1100RS Reply with quote

I have just bought a 1993 K1100RS (about 40k miles) as the price was good and the person I bought if from I have know for about twnety years and he owned it from new. Rode it home okay and to work yesterday (Monday). We had a few rain showers yesterday, oone just before I left to go home. When I started the bike it was rough running and felt like it was running intermitently on 3 cyclinders all the way home (surging). My journey is 24 miles home mostly on motorway so it got up to a good temperature. My starting point will be the Spark Plugs. HT Leads (are they really £20 each!!!!) and Coils as I suspect water ingress as the most likely cause but would have thought that this would have clear as the bike s temperature increased. The bike itself has probably not been ridden much over the last year. Is there any other things that I sould particularly look for on this bike that might be causing a problem?
Shoganai
Biscuit Fluffer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, let me welcome you to this cool K1100 site. Very Happy
Ok, I have some questions…

1. Does the exhaust smoke, if so what color is it?
2. Was there any difference in the way it ran hot or cold? If so what?
3. Was there a difference in the freq. or force of surging noted between decelerating and accelerating?
4. Did it back fire?

Other things to look at;
You should get the Motronic codes read at a dealer to start with, but just off the top of my head…

O2 sensor
Spark plug wires
Water in fuel
Air filter
Fuel filter
Electrical shorts
Cracked exhaust header - leading to bad O2 sensor readings
Cracks in the intake manifold

Good luck! When mine was doing this, it took lots and lots of money and lots of part were replaced in the process.

I'm not the best to answer your question, but there are other here with AWSOME experience and unmatched knowledge about old k-bikes. Stick around and I'm sure you'll get what you need to solve your problem. And please give us feed back so we can all learn from your bike issue.

Wink

The long road is a rainbow and the pot of gold lies there.
So slip the chain and I'm off again,
You'll find me everywhere. I'm a Rover. - JT

Nana korobi ya oki
max
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember too that the coils run as "wasted spark", so having a dud lead can affect two cylinders, not just one...

Other things you might want to think of checking
- battery condition (remember you could start and run, but a battery that doesn't charge will leave the alternator running the ignition at idle, when the voltage is dropping)

- ignition amplifier/driver (on the front of the battery carrier) - drtiy contact here can affect coil function too, possibility of overheating apparently too? (don't have one here, mine is a 96 with the later version Motronic setup)

Cheers

Max
Scott_Anderson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had some rough running last year for a while. I used some F.I. cleaner in the fuel, which made a big difference. I also replaced the plugs anyway because they were inexpensive.
I probably need to get some more F.I. cleaner for this year. (usually 1 per year in the spring).

Ride Safe

Scott
Stoked Steve
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other odd thing to check on a '93 is something called the ignition amplifier module (I think). It is down by where your left foot would be while riding. The wire that connects to that was loose on mine and caused an intermittant mis-firing as you describe. I spent a lot of time trying everything else before I realized this vital connection was loose.

If not the connection, it could also be the module.

Apparently it's something the '93's carried over from the K100, but later years changed this arrangement.

Good luck!
12 Suzuki DL650A VStrom
BMGraeme
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you try anythinb else just check the plug caps are fitted on the sparkplug tightly. They can be very stiff to get off and logic dictates they are stiff to get on. I always grip the metal tag with a pair of pliers to get them off and when reconnecting they get a wack with a rubber mallet. Quite often I can "feel" them reseat correctly after this treatment.

How did I know this - I had the same problem you're having.
Ted
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The bike itself has probably not been ridden much over the last year.

Fuel filter?

Should probably be replaced anyway Smile
KOG#1
Tim (Midland Section)
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BMGraeme wrote:
Before you try anything else just check the plug caps are fitted on the sparkplug tightly. They can be very stiff to get off and logic dictates they are stiff to get on. I always grip the metal tag with a pair of pliers to get them off and when reconnecting they get a wack with a rubber mallet. Quite often I can "feel" them reseat correctly after this treatment.

How did I know this - I had the same problem you're having.

I did just that on my first K11, changed the plugs just before we set off for the National rally, It missed & f*rted all the way there, watching the fireworks whilst running in the dark showed me my error. Suggest you do the same.
HTH.

Grey haired riders don't get that way by pure luck
1996 Guzzi Cali3 LAPD
1972 750 Commando
G6HRN
Rolfieh

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem solved. Removed the lower fairing and two of the plug caps almost fell off. I think previous owner must have messed with tghe spark plugs and failed to put the plug caps back on correctly. Running fine now but very buzzy. I think a full service is in order.

1993 K1100RS
Stoked Steve
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always a happy day when it's something simple and cost free!
12 Suzuki DL650A VStrom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: