K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ELECTRICAL HELP - PLEASE

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: ELECTRICAL HELP - PLEASE Reply with quote

Well, I have my bike back together and I have an issue. The battery indicator light is "on" when the keys are out of the ignition and I can't find any information on what the faults are when the light is "on". Does anyone have or can direct me on where to find this information? When I start the engine the light go "off". I have pulled the fuses out one at a time to see if I can find what circuit it is on and the indicator light is still "on". I'm thinking there is a short in the system, I have no idea even where to start looking. This is on a 93 K1100RS.

Besides this, my ABS indicator light is also blinking with my Information light (the triangle light with the ! in it). It would be nice if all of this was related!

If someone could suggest something it would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks,
Michael
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ABS light and triangle light are supposed to flash. They will do so until you get he bike moving a short ways. Part of the ABS initialization process is to test the ABS sensors on the wheels. This can't be done until the bike is moving.

If it's doing it even after you've ridden 10 or 15 feet, then your ABS brain is in fault mode.

On your other issue: Are you sure the wiring harness connector on the back of the instrument cluster is aligned on the right pins?
86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
Michael

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never disconnected the instrument cluster.

The ABS are still blinking even after I've been riding for miles. I know they initally blink but not like this. Confused

I'll probably have to check out the links for fault codes.

Any other thoughts on the battery indicator light issue?
manybikes
Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:33 am    Post subject: electrical Reply with quote

I had a similar incident with my K75s several years ago..only more bizarre.
I noticed that when I turned of my bike my battery light and occasionally the other instrument lights would flash on then off again.
Later that night after shutting off my ignition the instrument lights stayed on.
I pulled out the key and stepped away from the bike to figure out what was going on.
At that point the bike tried to start itself and I had the keys in my hand standing about five feet away!!
I disconnected the battery asap and took the bike to my local shop the next day.
My mechanic found the problem was a relay that was malfunctioning (forget which one).
Ended up being a relatively cheap problem to fix, approx $80.00 if I remember correctly. I was braced for much worse.
72 Yamaha RD350
BMGraeme
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ABS lights - if they are blinking in sync it's probably your battery is at low voltage. If they are out of sync it will be a fault showing in which case you should reset the "brain" to see if it goes away or not.
Michael

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a dead cell in my battery and I just replaced it. They are flashing in sync. I will try and reset it anyway. I'm going to look for the short today.
Michael

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found by battery light issue, now I just have to solve the ABS issues.... I was able to get the 1133 code and then the 4444 code and then a steady blink on and off - 2s each. Question

Anyway - here are some pictures of the updated ride

Tim (Midland Section)
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The battery indicator light is "on" when the keys are out of the ignition and I can't find any information on what the faults are when the light is "on".

That lamp runs directly from the alternator, try removing the thin blue wire from the spade terminal below the fat red ring tag on the alternator. Sorry, could be your alt is toast. The lamp has +12 one side from the ignition & is earthed though the alt, this energises the alt. When the alt is spinning, it then self energises & +12 appears on the blue wire. As there is +12 both sides of the lamp, it goes out. Could be the duff battery caused this, conversely could be the alt trashed the battery. I would urgently check the charging system & in any case disconnect the battery whilst the lamp fault remains.
HTH

Grey haired riders don't get that way by pure luck
1996 Guzzi Cali3 LAPD
1972 750 Commando
G6HRN
Michael

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim,

That was the issue. During my re-assembly of the bike I had caught the blue wire under the alternator cap and shorted it on the main red wire mount. I figured it had to be between the battery and the fuse box somewhere so i tore it down this morning and found it instantly. I was disconnecting the battery until I found the issue.

That pretty good trouble shooting from your end. It's good to have this group to help out everyone when were in need. Thanks for the help.. Do you know anything about ABS faults? I need to spend more time on this.
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was caused by a low battery:

Find the little blue cap that covers the three contact diagnostic plug for the bike. Shove a wire in the middle contact - ground the other end of the wire to the bike somewhere.

Holding the ABS switch down, turn the bike on and keep holding the switch down for about 20 seconds. Then let go and turn the bike off.

This should reset the ABS brain.
86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
Tim (Midland Section)
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the common questions are answered here
http://www.ibmwr.org/ktech.shtml
or here
http://www.k11og.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2110

Glad to be of service, only putting back in the pot as much or more than I took out.

Grey haired riders don't get that way by pure luck
1996 Guzzi Cali3 LAPD
1972 750 Commando
G6HRN
owrstrich
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know whats wrong with your motobike... but i cant tell you... it would ruin my image here at the k11og...

but im here to say that crazy wench... micki... really digs your paint job michael...

owrstrich
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: