| View previous topic :: View next topic |
| Author |
Message |
windcaper Brick Rider
Joined: 07 Nov 2006 Posts: 27 Location: New York
|
Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:06 am Post subject: frying my legs |
|
|
I know that there have been many many posts on the excessive heat that the radiator fan creats in traffic and in hot weather. what seems to be the most effective solution??? I was riding yesterday and aside from roasting my legs, I noticed that the gas tank was very hot to the touch and I was spilling fuel out of the relief hose towards the back of the bike under the shock, as a matter a fact a cab driver pointed it out while at a red light in the "big apple". Are these two occurances related, and has anyone really come up with a good solution.
Thanks for any and all help!!!! _________________ 1996 K1100 RS SE |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
SugarHillCTD Site Admin

Joined: 10 Oct 2007 Posts: 4238 Location: Now in Eastern Pennsylvania
|
Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:59 am Post subject: |
|
|
Welcome to the (HOT) "club"
You might want to read the thread I started a while ago. Several members gave input and there are links to their mods as well.
http://www.k11og.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4523
Some like it hot.....
John _________________ John & Cathy
'92 K100RS4V Pearl White SOLD
'04 K1200GT
IBA Several-SS1k, BBG, 50CC NYC to S.F. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
duckbubbles Flying Brick Rider
Joined: 01 Jun 2006 Posts: 361 Location: Austin, Texas, USA
|
Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:16 am Post subject: |
|
|
Put a manual fan switch on your bike and turn it on when you get caught like that- before the bike goes into super heat mode.
I did this several years ago on my K and use it all the time. I commute daily and it has been in the 100's every day. I turn it on at the first redlight I get to on the way home and usually leave it on the rest of the way. The temp won't go over 195 deg. when I do this. The computer won't turn the fan on until it is too late to keep the temps down. The tank, fuel lines, etc absorb the heat and then YOU absorb it.
Frank _________________ 85 K100/1100RS, 321,000 miles, 25 years
96 Ducati 900SS/SP, sold it
05 R1200ST, 35,000 miles, 5 years
400,000 BMW miles |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
hockeyshifter Flying Brick Rider

Joined: 01 Jan 2006 Posts: 177 Location: harpers ferry WVa.
|
Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:46 am Post subject: |
|
|
Not much you can do about the heat .. this is an inheirent design flaw with the bike.. i will be installing exhaust wrap to try and get more heat to exit the rear .. if the heat is that bad for you shut off the engine if stopped for to long .. when the light gets ready to change start it back up..
i wish major cities would adopt european traffic control styles. round a bouts . activate the yellow light on stop signals at mid point to indicate that traffic patterens are about to change.. etc.
this bike is very good a heat control if moving at very slow speeds but once stopped grap a hotdog it will be done in 30 seconds... sabberrts taste better with road grime... _________________ fix the problem not the blame ; fix what is messed up ; NO one is to blame. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Milton Flying Brick Rider

Joined: 29 Feb 2008 Posts: 230 Location: Arvada, Colorado
|
Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:05 pm Post subject: |
|
|
I have placed the "Johnny blanket" under my gas tank and seat as others on this forum have done. It does reduce the heat problem quite a bit. I have also installed a secondary fan switch and operate it in much the same way as 'duckbubbles' mentioned. Just turn it on when you think it is going to start heating up and it does a pretty good job of controlling the excessive heat in traffic.
Milton S. _________________ Jethro Tull: Thick as a Brick!
1992 K100RS 48K. Dead for now.
1998 Triumph Tiger 43K->56K. Doin it in the dirt.
1978 Honda CB400T 32.5K. For my boys.
 |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
max Flying Brick Rider
Joined: 22 Aug 2005 Posts: 309 Location: NZ
|
Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:44 am Post subject: |
|
|
Said it before - the RS here doesn't get hot, not after adding the ballast resistor I made for running the fan at about 30% speed continuously... it's on from ignition-on, and never lets the heat get away. About the only drawback is I haven't wired a switch to disable it for winter.
Just my 2c...
Max |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
|