K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

K1100RS Engine Dies, Stalls, Quits, Intermitten Problem
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roger Jacobsen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Engine stalls, quits intermittent Reply with quote

I have 95 K1100LT, had what sounds like the same problem, ended up being the coolant high temp sensor going bad. Had it replaced and no problem since. Good Luck
biblek

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: GREMLINS GONE Reply with quote

I believe my electrical gremlin is gone. The last 3 things I did were clean and put dielectric grease on the TPS, the brain, and the tank plug connector. I took the bike from east TN to Indy and back this weekend with NO problem. The bike ran perfect. 850 miles on this trip plus another 350 miles before I left on the Indy trip. Before I did the last 3 things I could not ride 100 miles without the bike quitting.

BTY the Moto GP racing was great. The rain on Sunday was somwhat of a damper to the wekend but all together a great time.

Thanks to everyone who helped me with this problem. I could not have solved it without your input.

Kenan
jim'sbeemer2
Brick Rider

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:20 am    Post subject: Sudden stall outs... Reply with quote

First I'd like to say hello to all of you. I'm gonna try to make this my first post but have been having difficult time to do this. Lets see if this works. I have had the same issue with my 1994 K1100RS. It took me 2 years to finally solve the problem, no thanks to the dealer. Before you start tossing money at things like the HES, $400.00, try to look at the situation more fully. Does this occur during hot days, and cool ones? If so, the HES may be the problem. However, if it only occurs on hot days and you notice that before the bike dies, you get the run stall feel in the ride kinda like poor fuel, and you notice a wiered jumping in your temp guage, Look into the temp sensor. This was the issue with mine even though I had replaced the "HES", I still had the problems of stalling out for no reason, scary if you don't expect it and you are trying to pass a slow poke only to be the dead poke on the side of the road. The temp sensor is around $90.00, a much cheaper part to replace first.
Manhattan Rider
Big Brick Rider

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hopeful that I just completed a fix on a very similar problem on my K1100LT. See my recent post on replacing the fuel level sending unit. After receiving some good advice from this owners group, I mentioned my problem to the chief mechanic at Engles and he stated from their experince, 90% of the time its been the fuel level sending unit loosing its ground. Since this unit provides the power to the fuel pump, its makes sense.

The same mechanic stated a good way to check this unit is to splice into the ground a simple test light and then take it for a ride. If the bike quits and the light goes out, its your problem. I just replaced the unit for $104 and have been problem free for about 300 miles. I'm cautiously optimistic.
1996 BMW K1100LT
1996 BMW R1100RT
2004 BMW R1150GS
BMW 500,000 Mile Award
2004 Ducati ST3
1974 Norton 850 Commando Roadster
1969 BSA 441 Victor Special
Stoked Steve
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was my problem, new (used) sender unit fixed it.
12 Suzuki DL650A VStrom
jim'sbeemer2
Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:06 am    Post subject: ko Reply with quote

I also was given some insight on this site. If you not only use it as a comunicative sorce but one for information you will be that much closer to solving any issues. Remember the manual. If you do not have one, get one. The bible for the K bike. Cool
Hobbes67

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have had this same problem on my '94 K1100rs for the last few years. I have recently replaced my fuel level sender due to another issue but the problem has continued. It only happens on hot days for me as well. I'm looking forward to getting to the bottom of this and not having to worry about the bike unexpectedly quitting at any moment.
'94 K1100rs
granth
Mad Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have posted this elsewhere,previously.
I have had this problem of intermittent engine cutting out on my '93 K1100RS, usually when warm/hot.
I eventually tracked it down to the four way connector under the fuel tank,which connects the fuel pump/sender etc.Due to wear and age, heat and vibration it was causing an infrequent,but annoying cutting out.
I was eventually able to replicate the problem with the bike at running temp by waggling the connector back and forth, producing the symptom.
Despite being a locking connector it could be moved back and forth about a sixteenth of an inch,which was enough,when hot, to break a circuit and cut the fuel pump.

On close examination the connectors were a little of a "loose" fit,one to the other,; so several attempts at tightening and cleaning things up seems to have effected a cure. Idea
DaveVoorhis
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

granth wrote:
the four way connector under the fuel tank,which connects the fuel pump/sender etc.Due to wear and age, heat and vibration it was causing an infrequent,but annoying cutting out.

A common problem, it seems. My solution to the same problem:

Dave #3
Hobbes67

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will definitely be taking a second and look at the tank connector.

Thanks
'94 K1100rs
Hobbes67

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:56 pm    Post subject: Problem Resolved Reply with quote

Finally fixed my stalling issue, the culprit was the water temperature sensor which sits behind the radiator on the left side. Time consuming but not difficult to replace. Thanks to all of you who had contributed to this string, I might have ended up replacing the HES based on a dealer mechanic recommendation if not for this forum.
'94 K1100rs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: