K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tail light failure lamp

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Tech
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
malcolmt
Flying Brick Rider


Joined: 23 Apr 2007
Posts: 369
Location: Parys, S.Africa

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject: Tail light failure lamp Reply with quote

I hope this isnt a self nomination for the "dumb question of the month award" but here goes...

When you switch on your K11..does your lamp failure light flash or come on steady ??

I never paid great deal of attension to it prior to swapping the instrument cluster. I expect it stayed on till both brakes were used then went off just like my K75

Malcolm(t)
_________________
******************************
A Bike on the road is worth two
in the shed
******************************
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Phil Marvin
Rider in the Sky


Joined: 03 Apr 2003
Posts: 1389
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Malcolm,
If you have used both front and rear brakes before the ABS self-test is completed, the brake failure light will flash in unison with the ABS lights. If not, it will just be a steady on.
_________________
Ride Safe,
Phil Marvin in El Paso, TX
'94 K75A/3
'95 K75RTP
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
malcolmt
Flying Brick Rider


Joined: 23 Apr 2007
Posts: 369
Location: Parys, S.Africa

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil,
Thanks for the info.
If I switch the bike on without touching the brakes then the lights flash in unison as you say. If I ride away without touching the brakes both lights go off. It sounds like my hassle is with lamp failure relay or wiring.
I've tried removing the tail lamp and the failure lamp behaves the same. ie pull away wthout using the brakes and both go off.

Its time to check through more connections.
See ya
Malcolm(t)
_________________
******************************
A Bike on the road is worth two
in the shed
******************************
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Saltcreek
Flying Brick Rider


Joined: 22 Oct 2008
Posts: 957
Location: New Hampshire

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think someone else posted recently with a similar situation but I can't find it. It sounds like the bulb monitor and ABS lights are wired together.
_________________
Jim

1994 K1100LT Mystic Red, bfd, 37000 miles, sold Sad
2009 Wilderness Systems Zephyr 155 ST
2002 Litespeed titanium
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl


Joined: 27 Jan 2005
Posts: 10102
Location: Bumf***, WA

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're separately but to the same bulb. If the light isn't soild before hitting both brakes then it sounds like the BMU is toast.
_________________
93 LT (x2)
94 RS
86-97 K75F(K75/100/1100 Frankenbrick)
86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
malcolmt
Flying Brick Rider


Joined: 23 Apr 2007
Posts: 369
Location: Parys, S.Africa

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Duck, A toasted BMU is the conclusion I'm getting to.
Does anyone know if they common accross the K75/100/1100 ?

I'll check part numbers in a day or two.
I can try the K11's module in my K75 if they are compatable.

Thanks again
Malcolm
_________________
******************************
A Bike on the road is worth two
in the shed
******************************
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl


Joined: 27 Jan 2005
Posts: 10102
Location: Bumf***, WA

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

malcolmt wrote:
Hi Duck, A toasted BMU is the conclusion I'm getting to.
Does anyone know if they common accross the K75/100/1100 ?

I'll check part numbers in a day or two.
I can try the K11's module in my K75 if they are compatable.

Thanks again
Malcolm


Yes. K75, K100, K1 & K1100 all use the same BMU.

You can test the wire from the BMU to the triangle light but putting 12V to the blue/white wire in the BMU wiring harness socket. That should light up the bulb and it won't harm the ABS. (I have the tirangle light hooked up to the sidestand switch via a relay to warn me if the sidestand is down. This is after I eliminated the BMU to run LEDs.)
_________________
93 LT (x2)
94 RS
86-97 K75F(K75/100/1100 Frankenbrick)
86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE


Last edited by Flying Duck on Sat May 23, 2009 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
malcolmt
Flying Brick Rider


Joined: 23 Apr 2007
Posts: 369
Location: Parys, S.Africa

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that I'll try the K11's in my 75 and se if it behaves.
Malcolm
_________________
******************************
A Bike on the road is worth two
in the shed
******************************
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
malcolmt
Flying Brick Rider


Joined: 23 Apr 2007
Posts: 369
Location: Parys, S.Africa

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howzit..
The problem is resolved
Seems the bulb failure module was toasted.
Fortunately the electronics inside the module aren’t potted.
A transistor and resistor were burnt out, I managed to get the number off transistor and had a spare in my junk box. It took a little probing with the multimeter inside my K75’s module to get the resistor value, a replacement was again found in my junk box.

Fortunately there are no special parts in the unit, everything has the manufacturers numbers on and are easily obtained from any decent electronic component supplier.

Thanks again for everyone’s help.
Malcolm(t)
_________________
******************************
A Bike on the road is worth two
in the shed
******************************
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group