Cheap Fuel Pump Replacement

Tech stickies will end up here so as not to clog up the Tech subforum

Moderators: Scott_Anderson, Ted, Flying Duck, Jim

Cheap Fuel Pump Replacement

Postby Flying Duck » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:28 pm

A long time ago I read the IBMWR tech page on replacing the $370 BMW fuel pump with an Escort/Taurus/Mustang submersible fuel pump.

Here: http://www.ibmwr.org/ktech/fuel-pump-install.shtml


With a little research I determined that the Purolator Facet FEP 2042 is an equivalent. Just to have a spare around, I bought one on eBay for $30 a couple of years ago.

Image

Yesterday I got back to working on my K75 project bike. I'd left the fuel pump out for quite a while and it was frozen - FARK!!!

Now I'd have a chance to see if the $30 solution would work. Sure enough, it did.

It only took a few minutes and was very easy to do:

1) Remove the old fuel pump. a) Undo the hose clamp and take the fuel hose off. b) Undo the electrical connections(7mm and 8mm) c) Pop the plastic clips at the front and rear of the mounting ring. (You don't need to undo the 8 nuts on the plastic mounting ring.)

2) Once out of the tank, slide the old fuel pump body out of the incredibly expensive rubber vibration mounting ring.

3) The diameter of the FEP2042 is much less than that of the BMW fuel pump. There's a section of submersible fuel hose that comes with the fuel pump. How convenient. I cut it's length to slightly less than the diameter of the new fuel pump, ran a nylon zip -tie thorugh it and wrapped it around the new fuel pump and secured it with the zip-tie. With a few minutes of careful cramming I was able to get it nicely lodged in the vibration mounting ring.

4) Attach the pre-filter that comes with it to the bottom of the new pump. If you fold it up a bit it will fit nicely in the fuel pump "pocket" of the gas tank. Insert your new fuel pump assembly into the fuel pump hole in the tank and make sure the clips pop into place.

5) The nozzle on the top of the fuel pump has a slightly larger diameter than the BMW one but the hose will fit over it. The IBMWR instructions say that the BMW hose clamp is too small to work. Not true. If you drop the hose clamp on first and then slide the fuel hose on you can use the old hose clamp.

6) Wire it up. Cut the ring terminals off of the black and yellow fuel pump wires from the tank. Put female blade connectors on each wire and crimp carefully. I used bare metal ones - who knows if the plastic on covered ones would dissolve in gas. Attach the black wire (ground) to the narrower blade terminal on the fuel pump. Attach the yellow wire to the wider blade terminal.

Vroom, vroom....... and off you go.

I have a temporary tank on that bike now. When I move the real, freshly painted tank onto the bike and have my new fuel pump out I'll try to remember to take some pictures.

The price of these fuel pumps has gone up drastically. Now they're a whopping $36.95 on eBay! :shock:

If you're the paranoid type who likes to travel with one of everything under the sun (Shogs :P ) this fuel pump wouldn't take up very much room and you could take one along as a backup.
Image
93 K11LT-"The Alien"
94 K11RS- "Kato"
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
User avatar
Flying Duck
Psychotic Waterfowl
 
Posts: 7402
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:41 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Postby skdonlan » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:08 pm

1) Remove the old fuel pump. a) Undo the hose clamp and take the fuel hose off. b) Undo the electrical connections(7mm and 8mm) c) Pop the plastic clips at the front and rear of the mounting ring. (You don't need to undo the 8 nuts on the plastic mounting ring.)


D'oh! I just re-learned that for the second time! I needed to pull the fuel pump and sender unit in order for the tank repair guy to do his magic and seal up my tank. After about the fourth nut removed and much cursing and skinned knuckles, I was attempting to yank the fuel line off to get better access to the last nut when the whole thing "popped" out of the bracket, conveniently breaking one of the clips, double D'oh! D'oh! I learned this a few years ago the first time I was removing the fuel pump to change the filter bag, but had since forgotten it!

About $25 later, a new plastic retainer thingy mabob is on it's way.

"We learn more from our failures than our successes." Quote by someone smarter than me.
Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
93 K1100RS Mystic Red, 50K+ and goin' strong!
"but the red one is very tasty what with its burnished gold wheels." Superbike 1993
User avatar
skdonlan
Flying Brick Rider
 
Posts: 951
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:58 pm
Location: Virginia Beach, VA

Postby Phil Marvin » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:34 pm

Hi, Steve,
You should have asked. I have one, brand new, as well as the later version (for the 43mm diameter pump) of the rubber vibration damper.
Ride Safe,
Phil Marvin in El Paso, TX
'94 K75A/3
'95 K75RTP
Phil Marvin
Flying Brick Rider
 
Posts: 1193
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2003 6:31 pm
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA

Shimming pump

Postby wahlspyder » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:59 am

Just replaced my dead Bosch unit with one of these pumps. It works perfectly. Instead of chancing the zip tie dissolving in gasoline, I bought 2 pieces of gas filler neck tube hose from O'reilly auto parts. One fits the pump, the other the rubber sleeve. Cut about a one inch piece from each hose, nestled one inside the other, and "voila". Works great!
1993 K1100LT
1995 R1100R
wahlspyder
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:25 am
Location: Indiana


Return to Tech Resources & Stickies

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest