BMW S1000RR: Tested & Approved

Post pics and ride reports here - let's see those K11's!

Moderators: Scott_Anderson, Ted, Flying Duck, Jim

BMW S1000RR: Tested & Approved

Postby ChrisWeeK1100RS » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:56 pm

Hey gang, been a while since I posted anything, been a busy few weeks, getting my bike ready for Phuket Bike Week, she's out of the shop and at home now, looking good and raring to go...we leave on Thurs 8th :)

BUT THEN, just when I thought I could chill.....

Hot on the heels of testing the K1300S, I got a call from BMW last Thurs wondering if I'd like to try out the S1000RR over the weekend....needless to say I was at their office before the caller could hang up. It was perfect timing too, the F1 happened over here at Sepang over the weekend, so I put a lot of miles on this bike, going to and from the track four days in a row :)

3 ride settings, Rain, Sport and Race. The BMW guy first set the bike in Rain mode for me, just to get a feel of the machine. He then showed me that by pressing the 'mode' button, selecting the desired setting then closing the throttle and pulling the clutch, it is possible to switch to any of the 3 modes while on the go, regardless of speed.

A few km's away from BMW I selected 'Sport' from 'Rain' and whoa boy, the bike took on a whole different persona almost immediately. The engine was a lot more rev happy, the throttle response was more immediate, the exhaust note got boomier and it felt like someone had actually dumped in a bucket more horses into the engine, well, that's true actually. Sport mode lasted about 20km....

I was hesitant at first to chuck it into the 'Race' setting, but once I did that, there really was no turning back. Literally. Once you're in Race mode, the bike becomes a demon. It goes absolutely ballistic. All the kings horses, all 193 of them, are unleashed, but all the while, the traction control is keeping it all in check.

The standard Quick-Shifter (that I loved in the K1300S) is also used in the S1000RR and this allows for some incredibly rapid acceleration. It's not the most comfortable bike in the world though, there's hardly any seat padding, and the riding position is about as far from the K1300S as you can imagine. The wrists will ache after a while.

But I didn't care. With that kind of power and a ride & handling package, I could live with the pain. The amazing thing though is that ALL the bikes that have been brought in by BMW were sold out in the first week. There's even a buyer waiting for this one that I rode.

Conquest sales abound, people are not buying Italian and Japanese superbikes these days, everyone wants one of these. This bike is setting all kinds of records here, the waiting period now stretches to September :)

Hope you like the pictures! Also posted the Spec sheet if you're interested :)

Chris

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
"Ride hard or stay home..."
'93 BMW K1100RS
Mileage: 37,000km-ish
Malaysia
User avatar
ChrisWeeK1100RS
Mad Brick Rider
 
Posts: 140
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:39 am
Location: Malaysia

Postby Off the grid » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:18 am

This might very well be the finest work that BMW has ever produced. Getting glowing reviews across the board and apparently stepped into the Moto GP world with a bang. The engine sounds like a F1 car.

Of course someone who buys this thing is not giving a shit about how much it costs to maintain. :lol:

One nitpick though...hate the different headlights. If they made both of them angled triangles like the left it would look much better, but what the fk do I know? 8)
Bane of your existence since July 2006
2005 KTM 450 EXC: Goat humper
2002 Yamaha FZ1: Cop magnet
1993 K1100LT: SOLD :)
2003 Honda XR650R: SOLD :(
Image
User avatar
Off the grid
Cantankerous libtard
 
Posts: 3215
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:55 pm
Location: Long Island, NY Home of big Stripers, bad drivers and nervous sheriffs.

Postby malcolmt » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:37 am

Hmm. i never noticed the different headlamps till you mentioned :roll:
it does look a little odd but them BMW have done some "odd" things in the past but for good reason..i wonder what the logic is here :?:

Suppose I can just stand back in awe at the machine, I'll never own one or even be able to do it justice if i did own one.

Malcolm(t)
Joburg
South Africa
******************************
A Bike on the road is worth two
in the shed
******************************
malcolmt
Flying Brick Rider
 
Posts: 165
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:04 am
Location: Joburg,S.Africa

Postby ChrisWeeK1100RS » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:46 am

Not just the headlights, but did you notice the left and right side fairings are different?? Gills one one side, hole in the other! The bike has a split personality! Hahaha :P

In addition to the bike, BMW were kind enough to loan me the boots, helmet and jacket for the test. That jacket is now on my 'must have someday' list. It's unbelievably good at keeping the rider cool, especially in a climate like the one here.

It also comes with these really neat inner straps which allow you to carry the jacket like a backpack leaving your hands free, very clever, but very expensive! :)

Chris
"Ride hard or stay home..."
'93 BMW K1100RS
Mileage: 37,000km-ish
Malaysia
User avatar
ChrisWeeK1100RS
Mad Brick Rider
 
Posts: 140
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:39 am
Location: Malaysia

Postby robleyd » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:58 am

Is that by any chance the Comfortshell jacket? Found mine to be quite reasonable in 40C+ temperatures down here, and pretty good in the cool as well. As it bloody well should be for AU$700 or so.
1996 K1100 LT
1969 Triumph Bonneville
robleyd
Mad Brick Rider
 
Posts: 82
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:52 pm
Location: Adelaide, Australia

Postby rydor » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:51 pm

I rode it as well and loved it :) Best sport bike I've ridden yet... the POWER... Loved the shift assist... might have to retrofit one to the K1200S...
2008 K1200S PoserBrick (Rydor's)
2003 F650CS (Mrs. Rydor's)
Image
User avatar
rydor
Flying Brick Rider
 
Posts: 1154
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:04 am
Location: Southern Illinois, U.S.A.

Re: BMW S1000RR: Tested & Approved

Postby Klinker » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:10 am

ChrisWeeK1100RS wrote:... I got a call from BMW last Thurs wondering if I'd like to try out the S1000RR over the weekend....

You must have been a very good soul in a previous life...or this one.

Off the grid wrote:One nitpick though...hate the different headlights...

I dig 'em.

ChrisWeeK1100RS wrote:Not just the headlights, but did you notice the left and right side fairings are different?? Gills one one side, hole in the other!

The asymmetrical elements suggest purposeful design - the bike's functions and mechanics are not symmetrical, why should the shell design be? Are the single-sided swing arms and left-only exhausts (with the exception of lrome's TBK12Special) of our K-bikes troubling to some eyes?

Symmetry is highly overrated.
tlp
1994 K1100RS

Only the Reasonists. They believe in an evidence-based world, something called Rationalism. But it's a tiny group, not so influential.
- Page Griffin
User avatar
Klinker
Flying Brick Rider
 
Posts: 836
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:06 pm
Location: SD I-90

Postby supercat1 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:55 pm

chris -- i hate you.

chris -- i envy you.

and i want your job. badly. i was so very close to convincing my dad to sell his porsche and get one of these beasts. unfortunately he didn't do it, so i'm left to just oogle them.
just starting on my k11 adventure!

1993 k1100rs
supercat1
Flying Brick Rider
 
Posts: 311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:05 pm
Location: kansas city, ks

Postby ChrisWeeK1100RS » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:10 am

robleyd wrote:Is that by any chance the Comfortshell jacket? Found mine to be quite reasonable in 40C+ temperatures down here, and pretty good in the cool as well. As it bloody well should be for AU$700 or so.


Yup, that'd be it! BMW Malaysia just got their latest line of Motorrad clothing for the year, and they set aside some kit for those who test their bikes for review. This one will be for sale by the last quarter of the year, hopefully it'll still be in good condition and I'll be able to pick it up 'used' for about A$200 bucks :P

I almost bought last year's jacket from them (I'm wearing it in the picture of me on the F800GS somewhere in this pictures thread) but I'm holding out for this one now!

Chris
"Ride hard or stay home..."
'93 BMW K1100RS
Mileage: 37,000km-ish
Malaysia
User avatar
ChrisWeeK1100RS
Mad Brick Rider
 
Posts: 140
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:39 am
Location: Malaysia

Postby robleyd » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:33 am

I'll be able to pick it up 'used' for about A$200 bucks


You have no idea how much I hate that :( But if it works in your humidity as well as it does in the dry heat here, it's really well worth the full price let alone a giveaway price like that.
1996 K1100 LT
1969 Triumph Bonneville
robleyd
Mad Brick Rider
 
Posts: 82
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:52 pm
Location: Adelaide, Australia

Postby ChrisWeeK1100RS » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:22 am

robleyd wrote:
I'll be able to pick it up 'used' for about A$200 bucks


You have no idea how much I hate that :( But if it works in your humidity as well as it does in the dry heat here, it's really well worth the full price let alone a giveaway price like that.


It's a MUST these days, I have no idea what's going on but on my last long-distance ride to Phuket, I've never come so close to passing out.

The heat and humidity up north near the border was sheer hell. The external temp gauge (retrofitted) on my K never went below 40. That kind of heat, plus humidity, and we were sweating even while on the go. We were actually praying for rain!

That was insane. We stopped a lot just to drink lots of water. Nah, this Comfortshell jacket is now a must have, it's no longer a nice-to-have. Fingers crossed I'll get it sooner than by the end of the year.

Chris
"Ride hard or stay home..."
'93 BMW K1100RS
Mileage: 37,000km-ish
Malaysia
User avatar
ChrisWeeK1100RS
Mad Brick Rider
 
Posts: 140
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:39 am
Location: Malaysia

Postby robleyd » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:35 am

That reminds me of when I used to live in Darwin many years ago, except that the temperature rarely got above around 34 in the wet season, and then we thought it was bad; I can't imagine 40 and high humidity. Well, I can really but my brain refuses to go there :shock:
1996 K1100 LT
1969 Triumph Bonneville
robleyd
Mad Brick Rider
 
Posts: 82
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:52 pm
Location: Adelaide, Australia


Return to Pictures & Ride Reports

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests