Goin' Mobile

Discuss Gear & Gadgets

Moderators: Scott_Anderson, Ted, Flying Duck, Jim

Goin' Mobile

Postby Flying Duck » Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:56 pm

When I got my last laptop a couple of years ago I got the smallest Gateway had at the time. Was happy that it would fit in a side case or city case.

Well, over the past couple of years everybody's been popping out "netbooks" so I decided to ask for one for Xmas. After doing a bunch of online research I edned up deciding upon as ASUS eee from Best Buy. It's got built in WiFi, 160GB hard drive and runs XP Home.

Aside from being small portable and light. The model I chose claims 8.5 hours battery life and one guy in a review said he was able to get 11 hours out of it by having the display dimmed.

Anyhow, it's a cool little unit for only $299 and looks like it'll be great for taking with me riding. I'm using it to post this message.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+Eee+ ... &cp=1&lp=1


I also got a little padded neoprene case for it foir another $17.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Targus+-+A7 ... &cp=1&lp=1


I'll try some reeporting from the road on my way up the coast in about 10 days.
Image
93 K11LT-"The Alien"
94 K11RS- "Kato"
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
User avatar
Flying Duck
Psychotic Waterfowl
 
Posts: 7402
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:41 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Postby Flying Duck » Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:36 pm

Image
Image
93 K11LT-"The Alien"
94 K11RS- "Kato"
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
User avatar
Flying Duck
Psychotic Waterfowl
 
Posts: 7402
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:41 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Postby drikko » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:36 am

Been using one of those for a year at least now, it's my favourite PC. In fact I'm sitting outside my tent up at Noosa right now, it's as hot as hell, humid, just stopped raining which was great as it cooled things down a tad. I've got the 3G USB stick in checking things out here and other forums. So what I am saying as a traveling PC these things are awesome. You can get a 12V adapter off ebay for them easily. I take it sailing, on the bike, camping whatever, have bought a USB TV tuner for it, use it play movies on etc etc. For movies I boot off a USB stick into Ubuntu linux as the movie player works better than windows.

You can get nav programs, use a bluetooth GPS adapter and get moving maps and nav in the car. use it for nav in the boat as well.

You will have fun with it!
K1100RS '97
Laverda SF3 750 '76
Jim Young Trailer Sailer 5.7M WB

DISCLAIMER:- Anything I say may have been when I was drunk so please don't take it personally.

'Bigamy is having one wife/husband too many. Monogamy is the same.'
Oscar Wilde
drikko
Flying Brick Rider
 
Posts: 495
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:08 am
Location: Brisbane, OZ

Postby Flying Duck » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:56 pm

drikko wrote:For movies I boot off a USB stick into Ubuntu linux as the movie player works better than windows.


Boy, that sure was easy to do. Thanks for the suggestion.
Image
93 K11LT-"The Alien"
94 K11RS- "Kato"
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
User avatar
Flying Duck
Psychotic Waterfowl
 
Posts: 7402
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:41 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Postby drikko » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:40 pm

Which one did you use? The easiest one is http://www.geteasypeasy.com/
K1100RS '97
Laverda SF3 750 '76
Jim Young Trailer Sailer 5.7M WB

DISCLAIMER:- Anything I say may have been when I was drunk so please don't take it personally.

'Bigamy is having one wife/husband too many. Monogamy is the same.'
Oscar Wilde
drikko
Flying Brick Rider
 
Posts: 495
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:08 am
Location: Brisbane, OZ

Postby Flying Duck » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:02 pm

i haven't downloaded one yet, just got the Ubuntu boot working. I got the USB stick working, now working on making a bootable Ubuntu SD card. (and watching football.)


Thanks for the recommendation.
Image
93 K11LT-"The Alien"
94 K11RS- "Kato"
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
User avatar
Flying Duck
Psychotic Waterfowl
 
Posts: 7402
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:41 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Postby drikko » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:04 pm

And having a beer of course.....
K1100RS '97
Laverda SF3 750 '76
Jim Young Trailer Sailer 5.7M WB

DISCLAIMER:- Anything I say may have been when I was drunk so please don't take it personally.

'Bigamy is having one wife/husband too many. Monogamy is the same.'
Oscar Wilde
drikko
Flying Brick Rider
 
Posts: 495
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:08 am
Location: Brisbane, OZ

Postby Flying Duck » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:23 pm

Oops. I'd actually just picked a generic V9.x of Ubuntu. That easypeasy looks like the ticket for a netbook though so I'll go that way.

Beer later....
Image
93 K11LT-"The Alien"
94 K11RS- "Kato"
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
User avatar
Flying Duck
Psychotic Waterfowl
 
Posts: 7402
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:41 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Postby Flying Duck » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:44 pm

Well, it was a bit of a challenge with a few technical hurdles but I managed to get it set up to dual boot both XP and EasyPeasy from the hard disk.
Image
93 K11LT-"The Alien"
94 K11RS- "Kato"
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
User avatar
Flying Duck
Psychotic Waterfowl
 
Posts: 7402
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:41 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Postby Tim (Midland Section) » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:39 pm

I too run Ubuntu 9.10 mainly from USB stick ATM. But it is running well on an old Pentium 2 which I keep at work.
I found it here http://www.ubuntu.com/
Is Easypeasy specially modified for Netbooks?
Regards Tim,

Grey haired riders don't get that way by pure luck
1998 K1100LTSE only 63k miles ATM
750 Commando
BSA B40
G6HRN
#485
User avatar
Tim (Midland Section)
Flying Brick Rider
 
Posts: 597
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:57 pm
Location: Cotgrave, Nottingham, England.

Postby Flying Duck » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:51 pm

Tim (Midland Section) wrote:I too run Ubuntu 9.10 mainly from USB stick ATM. But it is running well on an old Pentium 2 which I keep at work.
I found it here http://www.ubuntu.com/
Is Easypeasy specially modified for Netbooks?


Yes. it was originally named "Ubuntu eee" so I'm assuming it was for the ASUS eee netbooks.
Image
93 K11LT-"The Alien"
94 K11RS- "Kato"
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
User avatar
Flying Duck
Psychotic Waterfowl
 
Posts: 7402
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:41 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Postby mtnroads » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:35 am

Ya gotta love the open source folks - I run Ubuntu on both my personal PC's and it is great not having to have to spend the annual tariff on Microsoft software updates and antivirus. Not to mention my hardware lasts a lot longer and doesn't need to be reloaded with a fresh Windoze each year after clogging up and slowing down.

Funny - tonight I was in Best Buy and looked at all of those netbooks myself. It's the time of year when I get my personal planning system set up for the next year and started thinking one of those might be a practical tool. I have an old HP IPAQ that's very portable but slow, and if I got a netbook the first thing I'd do is wipe it clean and install one of the light versions of Linux. I hadn't heard of EasyPeasy before - ha ha.
95 K1100RS Marrakesh Red (sold)
01 R1100RT Black (sold)
95 K1100LT Graphite Metallic(21K)
User avatar
mtnroads
Flying Brick Rider
 
Posts: 176
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:04 pm
Location: Sacramento, CA

Postby Flying Duck » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:05 am

Why would you tithe to MS for antivirus? Just get the free edition of AVG.

http://free.avg.com/us-en/download-avg- ... ee-edition
Image
93 K11LT-"The Alien"
94 K11RS- "Kato"
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
User avatar
Flying Duck
Psychotic Waterfowl
 
Posts: 7402
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:41 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Postby supercat1 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:23 pm

and let's be honest, the only reason to have a pc is to play games. and linux doesn't do that very well currently ... so you gotta stick with windows. once something else comes out that plays games as well, is as supported, and costs less, i'll jump ship in a heart beat!
just starting on my k11 adventure!

1993 k1100rs
supercat1
Flying Brick Rider
 
Posts: 311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:05 pm
Location: kansas city, ks

Postby mnb » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:56 am

I've considered a netbook for a mobile system for sometime, but the 10.5" screens have limited real estate for use with GPS Routing software.

Has anyone used MapSource on a NetBook and how 'doable' is it?
M N B
1997 K1100LT ABS Special Edition
2007 HD Road King
2009 F800GS
User avatar
mnb
Flying Brick Rider
 
Posts: 566
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:24 pm
Location: San Jose, CA

Postby Saltcreek » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:15 am

Flying Duck wrote: Just get the free edition of AVG.



+1 to that. I've been using it for years successfully. I'm even considering paying for the upgrade.
Jim

1994 K1100LT Mystic Red, bfd, 35000 miles,
2008 Schwinn Collegiate 49cc, wife gets 100 mpg
1988 Ebbtide Bowrider, 180hp Mercruiser
User avatar
Saltcreek
Flying Brick Rider
 
Posts: 867
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:44 pm
Location: New Hampshire

Postby lrome48 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:24 pm

Saltcreek wrote:
Flying Duck wrote: Just get the free edition of AVG.



+1 to that. I've been using it for years successfully. I'm even considering paying for the upgrade.


Looks like you are going to have to....AVG discontinued the free version :cry: :cry: :cry:
Larry
K75
97 K1100 LT Specialk under construction
87 SpecialK75 Carols done!
2004 K12 Special the 'Beast' delivered
K1100 Standard Custom Gone but not forgotten
User avatar
lrome48
Flying Brick Rider
 
Posts: 352
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:08 pm
Location: Northridge, SFV,Southern California

Postby Flying Duck » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:29 pm

lrome48 wrote:Looks like you are going to have to....AVG discontinued the free version :cry: :cry: :cry:


Nope.

http://free.avg.com/us-en/download-avg-anti-virus-free
Image
93 K11LT-"The Alien"
94 K11RS- "Kato"
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
User avatar
Flying Duck
Psychotic Waterfowl
 
Posts: 7402
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:41 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Postby drikko » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:49 pm

As FD says, it's still free, they just keep trying to make it harder to find. I work for one of the big AV companies that will remain nameless here but still use AVG at home!
K1100RS '97
Laverda SF3 750 '76
Jim Young Trailer Sailer 5.7M WB

DISCLAIMER:- Anything I say may have been when I was drunk so please don't take it personally.

'Bigamy is having one wife/husband too many. Monogamy is the same.'
Oscar Wilde
drikko
Flying Brick Rider
 
Posts: 495
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:08 am
Location: Brisbane, OZ


Return to Product Reviews

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests