Old owner considering a new diet of rice....

Discuss Gear & Gadgets

Moderators: Scott_Anderson, Ted, Flying Duck, Jim

Old owner considering a new diet of rice....

Postby Allen Nelson » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:43 pm

Old former K11 owner here for those of you who don't know me. As an update, I had to finally choose a bike that wasn't a BMW after years of a love affair with them. First it was the the Triumph Sprint ST (still owned) and now I'm giving serious consideration to the new 2010 Connie. Seems they've really sorted it out nicely and unlike BMW's continued reputation for problematic production, the Kawi is very non-problematic and all the owners I've spoken to, can do nothing but rave about it's wonderful qualities.

Anyway, the current issue of Motor Cyclist is giving the Connie a glowing review and then MCN comes along with another great review....finally a review that gives the Connie a nod over the K13GT:

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/ ... on-bmw-gt/

Thought some of you might appreciate knowing, if you haven't already heard. I miss this site and being a regular part of what goes on...fortunately I'm able to keep in contact with some of you and I have to say that I'm glad to see it still popping with daily postings and happy owners. Keep up the good work Ted and Duck....you guys are great.
REDBRICK, '96RS (formerly owned), K11OG#5
Currently'07 TR-SST
Not a turncoat...and do miss my special K
User avatar
Allen Nelson
Flying Brick Rider
 
Posts: 974
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2003 6:42 pm
Location: Malibu, California

Postby SugarHillCTD » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:57 pm

Allen- you too, huh?

I have been looking at everything I can find regarding the C-14 (GTR1400 in Europe). The 2010 looks like a great bike.

BTW, BMWMick has already done the deed and has a 2010 Concours in his garage.

Have you checked out the Concours forum? http://forum.concours.org/index.php
SugarHillCTD
Flying Brick Rider
 
Posts: 1794
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:22 am

Postby Allen Nelson » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:59 pm

SugarHillCTD wrote:Allen- you too, huh?

Have you checked out the Concours forum? http://forum.concours.org/index.php


Oh yes....I've been lurking there for some time.... :roll:
REDBRICK, '96RS (formerly owned), K11OG#5
Currently'07 TR-SST
Not a turncoat...and do miss my special K
User avatar
Allen Nelson
Flying Brick Rider
 
Posts: 974
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2003 6:42 pm
Location: Malibu, California

Postby Flying Duck » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:37 pm

You'll never be able to handle a big bike like that. :lol:
Image
93 K11LT-"The Alien"
94 K11RS- "Kato"
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
User avatar
Flying Duck
Psychotic Waterfowl
 
Posts: 7402
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:41 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Postby SugarHillCTD » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:47 pm

Kinda' looks like a modern version of a K-RS.........

Image
SugarHillCTD
Flying Brick Rider
 
Posts: 1794
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:22 am

Postby Allen Nelson » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:36 pm

Flying Duck wrote:You'll never be able to handle a big bike like that. :lol:

Drake, you really know how to hurt a guy.....FYI.....handling won't be the issue, but pushing the thing around would :( I used to hate to have to push around my RS. Now on the other hand the Sprint is much easier to push around and about 100 pounds lighter the my old RS.

The other bike I had been checking out is the new VFR, which I saw at the Long Beach show last weekend. But considering it's almost 100 pounds heavier then my ST and has about the same amount of wind protection (don't you dare make any wind in my hair jokes either), I've pretty much written it off.
REDBRICK, '96RS (formerly owned), K11OG#5
Currently'07 TR-SST
Not a turncoat...and do miss my special K
User avatar
Allen Nelson
Flying Brick Rider
 
Posts: 974
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2003 6:42 pm
Location: Malibu, California

Postby Off the grid » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:50 pm

Nice looking bike!! I've always liked Connies...glad they updated the style. They sort out the high speed wobble and heat issues. (I might be confusing the wobble with the ST1300)
Bane of your existence since July 2006
2005 KTM 450 EXC: Goat humper
2002 Yamaha FZ1: Cop magnet
1993 K1100LT: SOLD :)
2003 Honda XR650R: SOLD :(
Image
User avatar
Off the grid
Cantankerous libtard
 
Posts: 3215
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:55 pm
Location: Long Island, NY Home of big Stripers, bad drivers and nervous sheriffs.

Postby drmalacarne » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:31 pm

If the Connie 14 will be available in Brazil by oficial agents (it is by private importers), could be one of my choices whem I'll trade my KLT.
That's a great bike!
The heat problem in the first year is reallly a issue here in the tropical climate.
Gui
1994 K1100LT SE n° 0267
1998 HD Heritage Springer 95th anniversary
Yes, a Hog and a Beemer can live together!
User avatar
drmalacarne
Flying Brick Rider
 
Posts: 655
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:49 pm
Location: São Paulo, Brazil

Postby Mystic Red » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:27 pm

Allen, that Kaw would be my choice also. Read the piece in M/C also. I also remember from waaay back that you have problem with speed. Not a good prescription in my learned opinion. :D
Scott Hespelt, '94 K11LT
KOG #466
User avatar
Mystic Red
Flying Brick Rider
 
Posts: 2056
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:45 pm
Location: Twin Lakes Idaho

Postby drikko » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:42 pm

At over 310 kilos its as heavy as a sherman tank!! Wouldn't want it to fall over!
K1100RS '97
Laverda SF3 750 '76
Jim Young Trailer Sailer 5.7M WB

DISCLAIMER:- Anything I say may have been when I was drunk so please don't take it personally.

'Bigamy is having one wife/husband too many. Monogamy is the same.'
Oscar Wilde
drikko
Flying Brick Rider
 
Posts: 495
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:08 am
Location: Brisbane, OZ

Connies

Postby jpberens1994K1100RS » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:47 pm

Hot & heavy.

At anything around semi normal speed, all is good handling wise on them.

My buddy has one. WAY more ponies than my 93 RS & yet he still can't
get away from me.
I stuffed him on an inside tight pass & scared him good. No paint scrape & no he was NOT in danger. I just don't think he thought I'd go that deep that fast while he was braking & setting up. 2 more corners left right & power down and I put more than a third of a mile on him before he got it cookin and came up on me like a freight train.
He likes his a lot, way big with the add on's. Bigger screen, wants a pipe & a chip now. It is HOT on summer days and when run even the least bit hard the gas mileage dips quickly. Of course we all like good gas mileage, but then, that's really not why we ride them is it.
Looks pretty straight forward to work on too.
What the hay. Lifes to short to be brand loyal. Ride what stirs your soul.

I get the biggest kick out of the comments my 93 draws. I get bigger kicks out of what it will do in the right hands. It fit's me, for now. I don't know why. It's really NOT logical, but the heart wants what the heart wants.
Please yourself, be true to yourself, happiness will follow.

Oh, and if you change up, over or what ever direction you take, share pics, share your thoughts, don't forget us.
1993 K1100RS that I'd rather be riding FAST!
jpberens1994K1100RS
Flying Brick Rider
 
Posts: 551
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:21 pm
Location: Hales Corners, WI.

Postby Ted » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:10 am

Howdy Allen!!!

You should also consider buying an older K75RT (I just did ;) )

That said, that Kawa looks pretty sweet - ABS and Fi?
Image Ted V Image
KOG#1 - '94 K75RT
User avatar
Ted
Site Admin
 
Posts: 818
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2003 12:44 pm
Location: Alexandria, VA

Re: Connies

Postby supercat1 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:17 am

jpberens1994K1100RS wrote: What the hay. Lifes to short to be brand loyal. Ride what stirs your soul.


very true. I love my 328i and the krs, but it wasn't by intentional design I only own bavarian vehicles. They just happened to be the two that fit my price ranges and desires the best. And yeah, I still get excited to drive either one every time I go in the garage. I don't personally know anyone who has a car (or bike) I would trade for. Not even my dad's 911 carerra. Now if he gets the s1000rr he's been talking about maybe ...

jpberens1994K1100RS wrote:I get the biggest kick out of the comments my 93 draws. I get bigger kicks out of what it will do in the right hands. It fit's me, for now.


very true. Even to this day after working at my employer for 1.5 years, people still comment on my car and bike. Granted i've only had the bike since august. But man it really got the union guys riled up to not have some minnesota steel sitting in the lot. They josh about it, but definitely all have complimented the bike and it gets looks from everyone that passes by.

I looked at an older concours when shopping for bikes because of how it is intended towards the same market, it was just out of my price range.
just starting on my k11 adventure!

1993 k1100rs
supercat1
Flying Brick Rider
 
Posts: 311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:05 pm
Location: kansas city, ks

Postby Allen Nelson » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:35 pm

Ted wrote:Howdy Allen!!!

You should also consider buying an older K75RT (I just did ;) )

That said, that Kawa looks pretty sweet - ABS and Fi?


Hey Ted.....it's been a long time since I last heard from you....it's always good to hear from you. I remember (like it was yesterday) your email years ago asking what I thought about creating a K11 Owners site....well, you made the right decision as far as I'm concerned....still to this day. Glad to see you've gotten a new bike....I take it everything has healed sufficiently.

I have to admit I miss my K11RS....she was a sweet bike, but she could really burn me on those hot days in slow traffic. And like stated here, I always got looks and comments from people. I have to admit though, along the line of the comments here, miles per gallon do play a role for me (another reason why I've got the Sprint @ 45 to 55 MPG)...and obviously the lighter the bike (usually) the longer the tires last...so for me, beside the adrenaline factor, cost of ownership is a determining factor and high on my list when choosing a new bike. Course that couldn't have anything to do with my age....although I have to admit I've slowed down considerably of late. I always enjoy going to the Rock store early on Saturday or Sunday mornings to see all the old timers riding their rockets, gives me a kick in the arse...to see some of those guys in their 70's and 80's still kicking up their sidestands. Interesting enough, unlike in my younger years, the other old timers aren't into pissing contests anymore (you know who can do it the highest and farthest) if we go fast it's not to show off as much as to prove to ourselves that we still can....course we have to clean our underwear more frequently....... :roll:

This is still a great site with members who obviously share in a friendly enthusiasm for motorcycling....I'm very glad to see it retains that quality.

Now, back to bikes...more specifically...BMW's.....if I could afford it and had the dollars to burn to keep it on the road I would jump on a K13S over everything else on the road, with out a question.... :wink:

But the simple fact is I don't have the money, so until an unknown wealthy relative dies and leaves me a fortune or I win the lottery........I will continue to be frugal in my choices of bikes (FYI..when I bought my first new K11RS..I paid $11,800 OTD).....BTW, from the owners I've spoke to, if you can keep from putting your wrist to deep into it, the Connie will give you a healthy 40 - 45 MPG.....and handles well with it's size and weight (unless your trying to push it around of course)...found that out a few months ago on a test ride.
REDBRICK, '96RS (formerly owned), K11OG#5
Currently'07 TR-SST
Not a turncoat...and do miss my special K
User avatar
Allen Nelson
Flying Brick Rider
 
Posts: 974
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2003 6:42 pm
Location: Malibu, California

Postby SugarHillCTD » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:40 pm

Allen,

I have been going back and forth between a K13S and the Concours myself.
Been reading up on the K1300's wherever I can, but have too many doubts about BMW, their current build quality and (most of all) their willingness to address owner's comments/concerns/complaints.

....and what about BMW's selling out on their turn signal switchgear??

Not to be influenced by having a good Kaw dealer 20 min. away vs. BMW dealer 2+ hours south.

:?:

John
SugarHillCTD
Flying Brick Rider
 
Posts: 1794
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:22 am

Postby Ernie-NH » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:09 pm

:?

Hi John....

Re: ""....and what about BMW's selling out on their turn signal switchgear?? ""

What's that about ?? BTW, I rode the Kawa Concours last summer and it may be my imagination but the width, and rider posture, made it seem "fat" to me. Quality and engineering wise however its a nice machine. Re the "dealer" HK, being the owner of two Kawa products, the service there could be better and is just as pricey as BMW for parts.

Regards...........// Ernie-NH
AMA,, BACA,, American Deaf Bikers
'95 K1100LT
'76 R100/7
'95 Vulcan 1500-A
'79 Kawa KZ440B
... all registered and being ridden!
User avatar
Ernie-NH
Flying Brick Rider
 
Posts: 297
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:48 pm
Location: Bristol, New Hampshire

Postby Jim » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:08 am

The K13 models seem to have a problem with the engine cutting off - which BMW is in denial about, of course. I don't think that's a very good quality in a bike...
Jim bmw-)
I'll stick with "the brick"
1997 K1100LTSEA 70,000

"There's a disturbance in the Force" Yoda
User avatar
Jim
Flying Brick Rider
 
Posts: 2582
Joined: Sat May 17, 2003 2:46 am
Location: Northern VA US

Postby Flying Duck » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:03 am

Ever since Hitler got a GS, BMW has gone to shit.
Image
93 K11LT-"The Alien"
94 K11RS- "Kato"
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
User avatar
Flying Duck
Psychotic Waterfowl
 
Posts: 7402
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:41 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Postby SugarHillCTD » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:31 am

Ernie,

The 1300 series bikes are the first BMWs to have a Japanese style turn signal switch- single switch on the left grip. That in itself should not be a problem (matter of fact for those of us with multiple brands of bikes in the garage it should be less confusing).

But as Jim indicated the sudden engine shutdown is a problem http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=37359 and the US DOT is aware of it.

BMW at first tried to blame it on the type of gas that owners were using (!) then shifted slightly to say owners should use a certain gas additive.

Some thought that the newer, smaller handlebar switch(s) could be at fault and/or from what I have read there seems to be a fix with a software update.

Initally BMW was all about denying a problem existed- great, huh- buy a bike that ranges from $15k+ to $23k and the manufacturer says that isn't their problem if it occasionally just shuts off.

As we all know- almost all the posts are from those that are experiencing this- not too many write about the fact that their bike DOESN'T do it.

So that is what might send me in the direction of a Concours. We'll see....

John
SugarHillCTD
Flying Brick Rider
 
Posts: 1794
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:22 am

Postby Ernie-NH » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:37 pm

Good morning John....

Does that machine use the CANBUS electrical system ?? In my opinion NOTHING BUT trouble ! In the mid 80s I bought 20 new Injection molding machines in Germany to augment 120 "identical" machines already in daily production. The machine manufacturer insisted that CANBUS was infallible and trouble free... nothing could have been further from the truth, plus they insisted with equal ferocity that all these problems were the fault of mis-operation by factory personnel and had nothing to do with the new CANBUS control system,,, despite the fact that 120 of their identical model machines purchased "pre CANBUS" with conventional relay logic were running simultaneously with no operational problems. I dont believe it's a matter of the CANBUS technology however but rather simple matter of robustness. ( ie: wire size, contact type, shielding, routing, etc ) Perhaps it s the same with the BMW 'K1300 switch problem that you mentioned. It seems the execution/application of CANBUS could use re-examination.

Best regards.....// Ernie-NH ( Cold ...eh? )
AMA,, BACA,, American Deaf Bikers
'95 K1100LT
'76 R100/7
'95 Vulcan 1500-A
'79 Kawa KZ440B
... all registered and being ridden!
User avatar
Ernie-NH
Flying Brick Rider
 
Posts: 297
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:48 pm
Location: Bristol, New Hampshire

Postby supercat1 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:47 pm

Flying Duck wrote:Ever since Hitler got a GS, BMW has gone to shit.


i hate to do this ... but you made me.

ImageImageImageImage
just starting on my k11 adventure!

1993 k1100rs
supercat1
Flying Brick Rider
 
Posts: 311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:05 pm
Location: kansas city, ks

Re: Old owner considering a new diet of rice....

Postby Sonu » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:18 pm

Allen Nelson wrote:Anyway, the current issue of Motor Cyclist is giving the Connie a glowing review and then MCN comes along with another great review....finally a review that gives the Connie a nod over the K13GT:

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/ ... on-bmw-gt/


Allen,

Thanks for the link for the Kawasaki. Please do post a review if you decide to get one.

I worry about the warranty being only 12 months but if the bikes are indeed reliable then that may not be a big issue.

Sanjiv
1997 K1100LT "Ziggy" 55K "Stock bike". Well....
Garmin GPS_Corbin saddle_K Guards _Hyperlights_Fog lights_Relay kits_Cee Bailey_4"speakers
Image
User avatar
Sonu
Flying Brick Rider
 
Posts: 232
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2004 5:02 pm
Location: San Jose, CA

Postby bmwmick » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:43 pm

Odd that I haven't seen Allen on the Concour forum.....been there since 2006 waiting for this 2010 C14.

The factory warranty is 36 months, unlimited miles (like BMW used to be) and for $350 I upgraded to 6 years unlimited miles. They are pretty bulletproof.

As for opinions, I'm biased because I have almost 4K miles on my 2010 since 12/3. It puts no heat at all on the rider. Cool as my R1100RT and that is one of the best bikes I've ever ridden for heat management.

Mick
Mick McKinnon
KOG#175
'93 K1100LT, '96 R1100RT, '84 R100RS, 2010 Kawasaki C-14
Tucson, AZ
User avatar
bmwmick
Flying Brick Rider
 
Posts: 889
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2003 8:00 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ

Postby Allen Nelson » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:05 pm

bmwmick wrote:Odd that I haven't seen Allen on the Concour forum.....been there since 2006 waiting for this 2010 C14.

The factory warranty is 36 months, unlimited miles (like BMW used to be) and for $350 I upgraded to 6 years unlimited miles. They are pretty bulletproof.

As for opinions, I'm biased because I have almost 4K miles on my 2010 since 12/3. It puts no heat at all on the rider. Cool as my R1100RT and that is one of the best bikes I've ever ridden for heat management.

Mick

Hey Mick.....long time.....so you went ahead and did it....glad to hear it....and I suspect your enjoying it immensely. Have to admit if I had the extra money I'd pull the trigger today on a new 2010 Connie. But right now things are tight and the Sprint continues to keep me happy....especially with mileage between 45 -55 MPG and now that I've switched over to the new AVON tires am getting good mileage on my rubber too. Most of the owners I've spoken to have all said they're best mileage seems to be around 35MPG and that rubber can go pretty fast....but they all have big SxxT eating grins on their faces that they seem unable to wipe off.

Would love to hear your experiences along those lines.
REDBRICK, '96RS (formerly owned), K11OG#5
Currently'07 TR-SST
Not a turncoat...and do miss my special K
User avatar
Allen Nelson
Flying Brick Rider
 
Posts: 974
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2003 6:42 pm
Location: Malibu, California

Postby bmwmick » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:21 pm

Allen Nelson wrote:
bmwmick wrote:Would love to hear your experiences along those lines.


The old tires were replaced with new spec BT021's
My front tire was the old spec when the bike came in. It lasted about 3K miles. The dealer mounted a new spec (BT021F "U") last Wed. The U spec tires have a lot deeper tread and more rubber in the carcass. I expect them to last 9K or so.

As for fuel mileage, I'm at 41MPG for the average. On my trip home from CA, 82MPH, 3,900RPM 44MPG in the ECONO mode. It makes a big difference switching to the ECONOMY mode, rolling along at 65MPH, 41MPG in normal mode and 52MPG in ECONOMY mode. I think they have a winner here. It will switch out of ECO mode if you apply more than 30% throttle and go back into ECO mode when you are under that.

Yes, I'm lovin' that bike.

Pepperdine from the lookout:
Image

Mulholland above the Rock Store:
Image

Mick
Mick McKinnon
KOG#175
'93 K1100LT, '96 R1100RT, '84 R100RS, 2010 Kawasaki C-14
Tucson, AZ
User avatar
bmwmick
Flying Brick Rider
 
Posts: 889
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2003 8:00 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ

Next

Return to Product Reviews

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests