Heated Jacket Liner w/ Controller - $126 shipped

Discuss Gear & Gadgets

Moderators: Scott_Anderson, Ted, Flying Duck, Jim

Postby Flying Duck » Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:08 pm

I finally got to try mine out. It wasn't that cold along the coast so I didn't have it a lot of the time but when I dad use it it worked fine. I'm wearing a North Face base layer and a thin fleece pullover underneath it. I've found that even turned off it does a pretty good job of keeping me warm and retaining heat. I just used the low setting since it wasn't that cold.

I'm gald I sold my Aerostich vest and got this jacket. With my arms being warm my hands are getting warmer blood and I don't use the heated grips as much as I did with a vest.

I have my heated insoles hooked up to the pants connector. That's not working too great because I never got it out of the low setting so the insoles don't get full power. I'm going to have to wire those with a separate switch or something.

I suspect it will be colder when I ride home in January and I expect it will perform well then.

Two thumbs up. :D
Image
93 K11LT-"The Alien"
94 K11RS- "Kato"
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
User avatar
Flying Duck
Psychotic Waterfowl
 
Posts: 7402
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:41 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Postby mike toon » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:22 pm

I too ordered the Synergy jacket ($162) before I saw the $130 deal. Oh well.

How bulky is this jacket liner? I use both XXL Tourmaster's GX Sport and Jett jackets that come with zippered liners.

Image


I'm hoping to remove the liner and use the Synergy. I already lost 25 lbs just to fit into these. Any bulkier and I'll have to lose more weight!
Current Bikes
1993 K1100LT
1976 GL1000 Naked
1981 GL1100 Naked
2000 DR650 Dual Sport
mike toon
Mad Brick Rider
 
Posts: 117
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 2:38 am
Location: Beautiful Downtown Burbank CA

Postby Flying Duck » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:58 pm

It's about as bulky as a typical zip-in liner.
Image
93 K11LT-"The Alien"
94 K11RS- "Kato"
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
User avatar
Flying Duck
Psychotic Waterfowl
 
Posts: 7402
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:41 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Postby Flying Duck » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:05 pm

So, I used mine quite a bit on the way home from Cali. I was just wearing a North Face long sleeved base layer underneath and the liner zipper into my jacket. I ued all of the settings - high, medium and low. I really didn't need to use the high that much though. It's much nicer having warm sleeves than when I had a Stich vest.

BUT I was using the leg holder for the controller and at some point it ripped the grommet and some of the fabric. out of the jacket, It stiil worked the rest of the way home but I'll be emailing Tourmaster for a warranty replacement.

I think it's a rather flimsy design for holding the controller pad onto the jacket. So, BE WARNED, do not pull excessively on the controller cable. I'll be babying my next one - that's for sure.
Image
93 K11LT-"The Alien"
94 K11RS- "Kato"
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
User avatar
Flying Duck
Psychotic Waterfowl
 
Posts: 7402
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:41 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Synergy jacket

Postby jpberens1994K1100RS » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:37 am

Mine did that too!

I think it's a faulty design coming straight out of the jacket. Get's pinched against the body and is bent at an extreme angle right from the get go.

Please let us know how you make out. If they deny you, I'm going to have to fix mine myself.
1993 K1100RS that I'd rather be riding FAST!
jpberens1994K1100RS
Flying Brick Rider
 
Posts: 551
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:21 pm
Location: Hales Corners, WI.

Re: Synergy jacket

Postby Flying Duck » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:30 pm

jpberens1994K1100RS wrote:Mine did that too!

I think it's a faulty design coming straight out of the jacket. Get's pinched against the body and is bent at an extreme angle right from the get go.

Please let us know how you make out. If they deny you, I'm going to have to fix mine myself.


I think it's a pretty flimsy design too. Using the leg strap for the controller it tends to yank on just a single grommet in the thin outer fabric layer. I can't imagine that we're the only ones who have had this happen. I'll bet they do something more sturdy in the next generation. I can't imagine that they will hold up too well for the three year warranty period.

I went to their website and sent them a message asking how to go about getting a replacement under warranty.

Aside from the contoller cord tearing out though, I'm very happy with how it worked riding home up the coast last week. I was nice and toasty.
Image
93 K11LT-"The Alien"
94 K11RS- "Kato"
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
User avatar
Flying Duck
Psychotic Waterfowl
 
Posts: 7402
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:41 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Synergy liner

Postby jpberens1994K1100RS » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:35 pm

Much agreed, I used the leg strap & must have pulled on it too much.

I did not think they would cover it & say the same thing, pulled too hard on it.
I'll fix mine unless they offer you a better designed replacement. I'm sure I can institute a permanent repair on mine over th enext month or so.

I LOVE THIS LINER!!!!!!!

We had one dry morning in November and it was 17 degrees out. My hands ached, but my toro and ARMS were nice & toasty on high.
1993 K1100RS that I'd rather be riding FAST!
jpberens1994K1100RS
Flying Brick Rider
 
Posts: 551
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:21 pm
Location: Hales Corners, WI.

Postby mike toon » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:01 pm

I just got my Synergy jacket and can see the problem. The material around the grommet isn't strong enough. The simple fix is to get out the needle and black thread and make several loops on the inside just above the grommet, and secure the cord to the fabric to help take some of the load.

Image

Shouldn't have to do it, but being without for two weeks is a hassle..............and the replacement won't be any better.

Is my connector a new style? How could any other controller plug in?
Current Bikes
1993 K1100LT
1976 GL1000 Naked
1981 GL1100 Naked
2000 DR650 Dual Sport
mike toon
Mad Brick Rider
 
Posts: 117
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 2:38 am
Location: Beautiful Downtown Burbank CA

Postby Flying Duck » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:46 pm

Summary:

Mine pulled out after 4 days of riding.

Sent it to MAW for warranty replacement in mid-January. (You need to call to get a return authorization number.)

Hear nothing from them so emailed them in mid-February. Never heard back.

Finally called them this morning and found a gal who is going to get it shipped out immediately.

Suggestion: If you tear it and send it in, call them a week later, and then a week after that.

Future plans: As a simple fix, I'm going to tie some paracord from the zipper pull on the left pocket to the controller connnector to reduce the stress on the rivet that holds the cord in. I'll also not be using the leg strap anymore and just let the controller hang free.
Image
93 K11LT-"The Alien"
94 K11RS- "Kato"
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
User avatar
Flying Duck
Psychotic Waterfowl
 
Posts: 7402
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:41 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Postby Flying Duck » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:40 pm

After maybe 12-15 days of use my Synergy jacket liner controller crapped out. I give up. I need something reliable. I ordered the Warm & Safe Tourmaster plug and a Powerlet controller from Eastern Beaver. I got the Powerlet controller because it has a lifetime warranty.
Image
93 K11LT-"The Alien"
94 K11RS- "Kato"
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
User avatar
Flying Duck
Psychotic Waterfowl
 
Posts: 7402
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:41 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Postby mike toon » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:36 pm

Don't give up on the jacket. You can bypass the faulty controller with jumpers or buy a plug that will jump the controller.

Image

It will be on high....or use a "conventional" controller.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthre ... st11862783
Current Bikes
1993 K1100LT
1976 GL1000 Naked
1981 GL1100 Naked
2000 DR650 Dual Sport
mike toon
Mad Brick Rider
 
Posts: 117
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 2:38 am
Location: Beautiful Downtown Burbank CA

Postby Flying Duck » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:02 pm

I like the jacket. I'm giving up on the controller and getting the plug thing and a Powerlet controller.

FYI: An even cheaper workaround (or backup) is to get the plug and a simple on/off switch.
Image
93 K11LT-"The Alien"
94 K11RS- "Kato"
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
User avatar
Flying Duck
Psychotic Waterfowl
 
Posts: 7402
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:41 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Postby mike toon » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:22 pm

Even cheaper is two spade connectors and make your own jumper.
Current Bikes
1993 K1100LT
1976 GL1000 Naked
1981 GL1100 Naked
2000 DR650 Dual Sport
mike toon
Mad Brick Rider
 
Posts: 117
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 2:38 am
Location: Beautiful Downtown Burbank CA

Postby supercat1 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:18 pm

well, i haven't tried the tourmaster setup, but i will say i love my gerbings. they are comfortable, warm, built to last, and not too bad on the eyes. the downside? anything but cheap.
just starting on my k11 adventure!

1993 k1100rs
supercat1
Flying Brick Rider
 
Posts: 311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:05 pm
Location: kansas city, ks

Postby mnb » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:50 am

I blew a fuse somehow on the power harness. I thought the controller might have died, but I checked it on another bike when I got home and it worked fine. Well, it powered up at least, which was an improvement.

So far the only real problem I've had is the damn thing shuts off while I'm riding. I think something hits the off button. I'm about to epoxy it so it can't shut the thing off. The other button cycles through off anyways. Who needs a panic off button? It doesn't get THAT hot...
M N B
1997 K1100LT ABS Special Edition
2007 HD Road King
2009 F800GS
User avatar
mnb
Flying Brick Rider
 
Posts: 566
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:24 pm
Location: San Jose, CA

Postby Flying Duck » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:08 pm

I emailed TM customer service and asked if I could send my flaky controller in for a warranty replacement. To their credit, they got back to me in two days and said I didn't have to send the bad one in and they'd get a replacement out to me immediately.
Image
93 K11LT-"The Alien"
94 K11RS- "Kato"
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
User avatar
Flying Duck
Psychotic Waterfowl
 
Posts: 7402
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:41 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Previous

Return to Product Reviews

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests