Heated Jacket Liner w/ Controller - $126 shipped

Discuss Gear & Gadgets

Moderators: Scott_Anderson, Ted, Flying Duck, Jim

Heated Jacket Liner w/ Controller - $126 shipped

Postby Flying Duck » Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:12 pm

Last year Tourmaster came out with a Synergy line of heated clothing. According to what I read over on ADV, the 2007 model of the heated jacket had some high failure rates with the solid state controller. But Tourmaster was very good about replacing them and the bugs are supposedly worked out now so I decided to sell my Stich heated vest and get a jacket because my arms do get a tad chilly on the RS.

Best price I could find on-line was $162 which seems to be consistent across vendors. I found that MAW is selling them on Fleabay for $162 with free shipping which looked pretty good. They had the best offer option so I sent them a best offer of $140 which they accepted. Using a 10% off coupon I got from eBay it brougt the price down to $126 shipped.

From reading the reviews on ADV, it has high/med/low settings and is warm enough so that most people only use the low setting. I'll be riding down the coast with it in November and that will be the shakedown for it.

Here it is on the Tourmaster site:
http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/product.php?productid=256&cat=59
Image
93 K11LT-"The Alien"
94 K11RS- "Kato"
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
User avatar
Flying Duck
Psychotic Waterfowl
 
Posts: 7402
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:41 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Postby Mystic Red » Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:32 am

So how much for the stich vest?
Scott Hespelt, '94 K11LT
KOG #466
User avatar
Mystic Red
Flying Brick Rider
 
Posts: 2056
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:45 pm
Location: Twin Lakes Idaho

Postby mnb » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:56 am

I bought the jacket back in February or so from motorcycle-superstore.com.

It gets quite warm and I do usually only use low. Hi would be great for 20 degrees or less maybe.

The gloves are nowhere near as warm. But they keep your fingers alive.

I've yet to use the pants (which are kinda like chaps. I got them near the end of the cold spells and with the full fairing on the LT, I really don't need them. On the Harley they might come in handy more often. Time will tell.

I've definitely been happy with the jacket, although it hasn't seen much use so far.
M N B
1997 K1100LT ABS Special Edition
2007 HD Road King
2009 F800GS
User avatar
mnb
Flying Brick Rider
 
Posts: 566
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:24 pm
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: Heated Jacket Liner w/ Controller - $126 shipped

Postby slash2nut » Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:07 pm

Best price I could find on-line was $162 which seems to be consistent across vendors. I found that MAW is selling them on Fleabay for $162 with free shipping which looked pretty good. They had the best offer option so I sent them a best offer of $140 which they accepted. Using a 10% off coupon I got from eBay it brougt the price down to $126 shipped.

I offered $130 and they took that. So, if you want one, go lower.

With 10% and free shipping, it was $117 shipped.
Dave in MI
'93 K11lt
'86 K75c
User avatar
slash2nut
Brick Rider
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:57 am
Location: Ann Arbor MI

Postby owrstrich » Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:55 pm

micki uses the warm n safe jacket and gloves cause she is cold blooded...

im hot blooded so a rain liner and a long sleeve smartwool works for me...

but for the price i had to bid on a xxxl... $65... how low will they go... lets say they scored a 1000 unit close out for $40 a jacket... then perhaps 39% gross profit maybe enough... we shall see...

thanks for the heads all... all of you...

j o
Last edited by owrstrich on Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
owrstrich
Flying Brick Rider
 
Posts: 2541
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:29 pm

Re: Heated Jacket Liner w/ Controller - $126 shipped

Postby Flying Duck » Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:55 pm

slash2nut wrote:
Best price I could find on-line was $162 which seems to be consistent across vendors. I found that MAW is selling them on Fleabay for $162 with free shipping which looked pretty good. They had the best offer option so I sent them a best offer of $140 which they accepted. Using a 10% off coupon I got from eBay it brougt the price down to $126 shipped.

I offered $130 and they took that. So, if you want one, go lower.

With 10% and free shipping, it was $117 shipped.


Good job! :D After they'd accepted my offer I wished I'd gone lower.
Image
93 K11LT-"The Alien"
94 K11RS- "Kato"
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
User avatar
Flying Duck
Psychotic Waterfowl
 
Posts: 7402
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:41 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Postby owrstrich » Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:43 pm

they countered me at 130... seems as if we found their bottom...

j o
owrstrich
Flying Brick Rider
 
Posts: 2541
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:29 pm

Postby Mystic Red » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:21 pm

The sizing chart is crazy and has me a little worried. I haven't worn a medium anything since I was in junior high. :shock:
Scott Hespelt, '94 K11LT
KOG #466
User avatar
Mystic Red
Flying Brick Rider
 
Posts: 2056
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:45 pm
Location: Twin Lakes Idaho

Postby Flying Duck » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:46 pm

The sizing chart scared me too. It's crazy - like JO.

I emailed Tourmaster, told them I had a 40" chest and asked them what size I should get. Why couldn't they just give me a straight answer and tell me what size to buy?

Thank you for your interest in Tourmaster.com. The Synergy items are made
smaller and are intended to fit snug against the body. Upon viewing the
sizing chart, you will see that reflected in each size listed. Also, the
pants are a chap-style so the inseam does not necessarily go from the
crotch to the ankle as most inseams do. Please
keep in mind that Synergy gear is made to be worn underneath your gear, it
is made to fit snug to the body, and we suggest that you wear it over a thin
layer such as any Under Armour products or something similar. I hope this
better assists you in your sizing needs.

Melissa Westervelt
Tourmaster.com
Cortechperformance.com
TCXboots.com/USA


I usually wear a Large in most stuff so I ordered a medium jacket liner. Given how hot these things seem to get, I'll just layer a little under if it's too large.
Image
93 K11LT-"The Alien"
94 K11RS- "Kato"
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
User avatar
Flying Duck
Psychotic Waterfowl
 
Posts: 7402
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:41 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Postby Mystic Red » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:55 pm

I'm a XL top normally, 44 inch chest and that's their medium size. Let me know how the fit is, will you?
Scott Hespelt, '94 K11LT
KOG #466
User avatar
Mystic Red
Flying Brick Rider
 
Posts: 2056
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:45 pm
Location: Twin Lakes Idaho

Postby Flying Duck » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:58 pm

Mystic Red wrote:I'm a XL top normally, 44 inch chest and that's their medium size. Let me know how the fit is, will you?


Roger that. I should have it shortly. Usually MAW ships to me from Idaho and it doesn't take very long.
Image
93 K11LT-"The Alien"
94 K11RS- "Kato"
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
User avatar
Flying Duck
Psychotic Waterfowl
 
Posts: 7402
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:41 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Postby Off the grid » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:41 pm

/shrug

Luckily I haven't found the need for a heated vest, it's my extremities that get cold.

Must be the Russian/German heritage. 8)
Bane of your existence since July 2006
2005 KTM 450 EXC: Goat humper
2002 Yamaha FZ1: Cop magnet
1993 K1100LT: SOLD :)
2003 Honda XR650R: SOLD :(
Image
User avatar
Off the grid
Cantankerous libtard
 
Posts: 3215
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:55 pm
Location: Long Island, NY Home of big Stripers, bad drivers and nervous sheriffs.

Postby Flying Duck » Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:23 am

Off the grid wrote:/shrug

Luckily I haven't found the need for a heated vest, it's my extremities that get cold.

Must be the Russian/German heritage. 8)


The purpose of a heated vest or jacket is that it keeps your core warm. This, in turn, means your body is pumping warmer blood to your extremities. This not only keeps you generally warmer but greatly redcues fatigue on longer rides in the cold.

Did you have fun protecting Stalingrad from Hitler? Or were you on the other side? :lol:
Last edited by Flying Duck on Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
Image
93 K11LT-"The Alien"
94 K11RS- "Kato"
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
User avatar
Flying Duck
Psychotic Waterfowl
 
Posts: 7402
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:41 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Postby Flying Duck » Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:27 am

Mystic Red wrote:I'm a XL top normally, 44 inch chest and that's their medium size. Let me know how the fit is, will you?


Mine showed up yesterday. The medium more or less fits like a large so I'd say that one size down from what you usually is wear is probably a safe bet. Since I have a 40" chest and 34" sleeves I thought that the sleeves might be a little short but that does not seem to be the case as the sleeve length is fine for me.
Image
93 K11LT-"The Alien"
94 K11RS- "Kato"
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
User avatar
Flying Duck
Psychotic Waterfowl
 
Posts: 7402
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:41 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Postby Mystic Red » Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:41 am

Thanks Duck, I have a BMW heated vest that I've been wearing to commute to work. It has been as low as 25dg and it keeps me warm on the 45 minute ride. But when the wife rides with me guess who get the heated apparel? I need to pull the trigger on this. :D
Scott Hespelt, '94 K11LT
KOG #466
User avatar
Mystic Red
Flying Brick Rider
 
Posts: 2056
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:45 pm
Location: Twin Lakes Idaho

Postby fnord » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:11 pm

Is it safe to assume that with the adjustability on this jacket, you don't need a separate temperature controller?

I may order one this week. I was toasty warm on the ride in this morning, even with just my regular pants and socks, nevermind my wind/rain ants or the liner that goes in them.

I was all proud of myself until I realized it only got down to 42 this morning. Not much of a test yet :roll:
User avatar
fnord
Mad Brick Rider
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:42 pm
Location: Colebrook, CT

Postby Flying Duck » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:31 pm

fnord wrote:Is it safe to assume that with the adjustability on this jacket, you don't need a separate temperature controller?

I may order one this week. I was toasty warm on the ride in this morning, even with just my regular pants and socks, nevermind my wind/rain ants or the liner that goes in them.

I was all proud of myself until I realized it only got down to 42 this morning. Not much of a test yet :roll:


The comtroller is part of the package so there'sno need to buy a separate one. I read a bunch of posts on these jackets over at the ADV site. Most people seem to be reporting that the low setting is all they need.
Image
93 K11LT-"The Alien"
94 K11RS- "Kato"
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
User avatar
Flying Duck
Psychotic Waterfowl
 
Posts: 7402
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:41 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Postby fnord » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:48 pm

Yeah, it looks like it's getting rave reviews:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/heated-motorcycle-clothing/tourmaster-synergy/vest.htm

The only complain seems to be about the cord being too short.
User avatar
fnord
Mad Brick Rider
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:42 pm
Location: Colebrook, CT

Postby Flying Duck » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:00 pm

fnord wrote:Yeah, it looks like it's getting rave reviews:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/heated-motorcycle-clothing/tourmaster-synergy/vest.htm

The only complain seems to be about the cord being too short.


I suppose it depends where you battery is. There's more than enough cord for that on a K1100.

The OEM wiring for it has an in-line fuse. I'm going to cut all of that crap off and use a Powerlet plug plugged in above the coils.

You'd never guess they're made in China. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Image
Image
93 K11LT-"The Alien"
94 K11RS- "Kato"
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
User avatar
Flying Duck
Psychotic Waterfowl
 
Posts: 7402
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:41 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Tourmaster Synergy jacket

Postby jpberens1994K1100RS » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:13 pm

Got mine last week, $130 shipped, I could not get the discount code to work. 25 degrees this morning, on the high setting it almost hurts it is so hot, medium felt nice & toasty at 70MPH on the fly way, I also have the Aero Flow shield on the bike.
Had a BMW heated vest years ago, lasted a long long time before the wireing broke down. This is soooooooooooooooooo much warmer than a vest. Heated collar is very good too.

My fingers got too cold though, trying to get MAW down on the glove price to match.
Heated grips seem neat, but my bike did not come with them on. Seems like there's a lot of problems with them after they have been on teh bike a while. The jacket liner already has the connectors built right in & since that's all wires up already, well, bout the same price as heated grips if you consider the time it takes to install them your self.
1993 K1100RS that I'd rather be riding FAST!
jpberens1994K1100RS
Flying Brick Rider
 
Posts: 551
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:21 pm
Location: Hales Corners, WI.

Re: Tourmaster Synergy jacket

Postby Flying Duck » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:52 pm

jpberens1994K1100RS wrote: I could not get the discount code to work.


It expired on 10/31.
Image
93 K11LT-"The Alien"
94 K11RS- "Kato"
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
User avatar
Flying Duck
Psychotic Waterfowl
 
Posts: 7402
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:41 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Postby fnord » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:45 pm

I got my Synergy jacket on Friday ($130), and I used it for the first time this morning, on low, at about 75mph for a solid half hour stretch in 38 degree winds.

Thing freaking rocks. Very even heat, and it tipped me over the top into being as comfy on the bike as I would be in a car. With the heated grips, I'm all set. An aeroflow is still on the list, but it's nowhere near as urgent now.

I've not heard good things about the Synergy gloves, though. Everyone who has tried them has said that they're nowhere near as warm as the jacket. If I didn't have the grips and was looking for gloves, I personally would look elsewhere.
1993 K1100RS
1999 Jeep Wrangler
User avatar
fnord
Mad Brick Rider
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:42 pm
Location: Colebrook, CT

Postby Flying Duck » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:50 pm

I bought some heated insoles for my boots and wired them up to the jacket's pants connector with a connector I bought at Radio Shack. Now my feet will be warm too. :D

Now if it would just get cold enough here to test my new setup. :roll:
Image
93 K11LT-"The Alien"
94 K11RS- "Kato"
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
User avatar
Flying Duck
Psychotic Waterfowl
 
Posts: 7402
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:41 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

synergy gloves

Postby jpberens1994K1100RS » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:44 pm

Yeah, I'm reading that too about the gloves, but the jacket liner is awesome!

May have to go with heated grips then.
1993 K1100RS that I'd rather be riding FAST!
jpberens1994K1100RS
Flying Brick Rider
 
Posts: 551
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:21 pm
Location: Hales Corners, WI.

heated grips

Postby Jim » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:23 pm

Jim bmw-)
I'll stick with "the brick"
1997 K1100LTSEA 70,000

"There's a disturbance in the Force" Yoda
User avatar
Jim
Flying Brick Rider
 
Posts: 2582
Joined: Sat May 17, 2003 2:46 am
Location: Northern VA US

Next

Return to Product Reviews

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests