*SOLD* FS: 1996 K1100RS Special Edition*SOLD*

Post Items for Sale Here

Moderators: Scott_Anderson, Ted, Flying Duck, Jim

*SOLD* FS: 1996 K1100RS Special Edition*SOLD*

Postby Doug Harvey » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:22 pm

She's got 41,400 miles on her, but I think after a wonderful 11 year relationship it's time for us to part ways. Salvage title, but in excellent shape (please ask, I'll explain). 30,000 trouble-free miles since repair. ABS, heated grips, acc outlet, Runnin' Lights, bar-ends w/throttle lock, OEM luggage (saddlebags, top case and tank bag). Factory saddle and an excellent Corbin Rumble Seat are both included. Full dealer service at 40K miles-all fluids changed, ABS flush, new plugs, filters, brake pads and Metzeler RoadTec Z6's (front and rear). New WestCo sealed battery. Will include Clymer Manual and oil filter wrench. Original owner had her pin striped (in a nice way, not gaudy) with blue to match the rondel. Sets her apart.

$4500 OBO

Located in Latrobe, PA (just SW of Pittsburgh).

Lots of photos here.
Doug Harvey
'96 RS SE
Doug Harvey
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2004 11:52 am
Location: Latrobe, PA

Postby Scott_Anderson » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:27 pm

On a 1st post you should be saying that you just PURCHASED such a machine, not selling one.
Ride safe.

Share the Road Instructor
1997 K1100LT 0302488
1995 K1100LT 0302044
Garmin StreetPilot 2820
Garmin Zumo 550
"One who does not ask questions is ashamed to learn" Danish proverb
User avatar
Scott_Anderson
Flying Brick Rider
 
Posts: 1520
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:55 am
Location: Central Iowa, USA

Postby owrstrich » Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:24 pm

how much for just the mirrors...

j o
owrstrich
Flying Brick Rider
 
Posts: 2541
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:29 pm

Postby Doug Harvey » Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:41 pm

Well Scott, I'm actually member #364 of #1388... Member List says I've been a member since 2004 (but seems A LOT longer ago than that... seriously, thought I joined closer to 2000)... in fact, I really thought I was around member #74 when I first joined... should ask Ted if something changed, because I used to be VERY active and post A LOT. Guess records of posts must reset after some time and inactivity.

Owrstrich, sorry, but she's not up for parts. If that was the case, I wouldn't be throwing all the bags, gear and Corbin in with the sale. It all goes in one shot.
Doug Harvey
'96 RS SE
Doug Harvey
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2004 11:52 am
Location: Latrobe, PA

FS: 1996 K1100RS SE (corrected... no salvage title)

Postby Doug Harvey » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:53 pm

Okay, I just got yelled at from a buddy of mine... I misspoke.. This is NOT a salvage titled bike.. it is RECONSTRUCTED. In other words, all the messy stuff is taken care of. It is a fully inspected, rideable machine.

No wrenching required.

Yes, big mistake... fortunately, he does this stuff all the time and I'm a rookie selling.

Hope this helps and hope anyone that looked at it before might look again.
Doug Harvey
'96 RS SE
Doug Harvey
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2004 11:52 am
Location: Latrobe, PA

Re: FS: 1996 K1100RS SE (corrected... no salvage title)

Postby Off the grid » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:02 pm

Doug Harvey wrote:Okay, I just got yelled at from a buddy of mine... I misspoke.. This is NOT a salvage titled bike.. it is RECONSTRUCTED. In other words, all the messy stuff is taken care of. It is a fully inspected, rideable machine.

No wrenching required.

Yes, big mistake... fortunately, he does this stuff all the time and I'm a rookie selling.

Hope this helps and hope anyone that looked at it before might look again.


I know I'm nothing but a stonking noob, but what exactly does this mean? The bike was crashed and fixed? Was the engine blown?

What exactly does it say on the title?

A salvage title will actually say salvage/rebuilt on it. (at least in NY)
Bane of your existence since July 2006
2005 KTM 450 EXC: Goat humper
2002 Yamaha FZ1: Cop magnet
1993 K1100LT: SOLD :)
2003 Honda XR650R: SOLD :(
Image
User avatar
Off the grid
Cantankerous libtard
 
Posts: 3215
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:55 pm
Location: Long Island, NY Home of big Stripers, bad drivers and nervous sheriffs.

Postby sdaniel » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:51 am

Dats pretty :o
1993 K1100LT

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
User avatar
sdaniel
Mad Brick Rider
 
Posts: 108
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:22 pm
Location: Allen, TX

Postby Allen Nelson » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:34 pm

Doug....that is an exceptionally good looking bike with all the right stuff too. Hope you find the right buyer.... :!:
REDBRICK, '96RS (formerly owned), K11OG#5
Currently'07 TR-SST
Not a turncoat...and do miss my special K
User avatar
Allen Nelson
Flying Brick Rider
 
Posts: 974
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2003 6:42 pm
Location: Malibu, California

Postby Flying Duck » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:28 pm

It varies by state but generally when an insurance company totals a bike the title is branded as "Salvage." On our bikes that could be something as simple as scratches on the fairing and a busted mirror from a tipover given what it would cost to have the bike repaired at a dealer.

In Washington, once you fix up the bike (here you have to make it pretty close to new) you can have it inspected by the state patrol and then the title is rebranded as "Rebuilt" Then you can get tabs/tags for it and ride it legally.

I have heard but do not know for a fact that in CA you can get the bike so it's legally streetworthy, have it inspected by the CHP and ride it legally with a title that is still branded salvage.

Some people claim it doesn't matter if a bike has a clean (non-branded) title but IMO it knocks several hundred dollars off of the value.

The irony of the whole system is that if you rebuild a crashed bike and it's never been totaled by an insurance company you will still have a clean, non-branded title for a bike that my have been damaged much worse than a totaled and rebuilt bike.
Image
93 K11LT-"The Alien"
94 K11RS- "Kato"
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
User avatar
Flying Duck
Psychotic Waterfowl
 
Posts: 7402
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:41 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Salvage tiltle and insurance

Postby RJTrucker » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:37 am

If you try to insure a salvage title/Rebuilt the Insurance company will not put collision or fire on it. Also if in an accident that is not your fault the other persons insurance company will not pay full value on it since it was a salvage title. Most used R1100RTP and R1150RTP bikes come with a salvage title even if not wrecked. This is because it was inservice as a police bike. Also any car used as a Taxi will say so on the title. Also valued less by insurance companys. There are a few states that underhanded dealers will run the title thru to "wash" the title so it nolonger says salvage. This happened to my sister in law with a flood car.
Ron
1993 K11LT
1985 K100RS with over 100K on it
1985 K100RS Luftmiester Turbo Work in progress (any help is appreciated)
1974 R90/6
RJTrucker
Flying Brick Rider
 
Posts: 167
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:23 pm
Location: Central NJ

Sport bike frame damage.

Postby RJTrucker » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:42 am

On todays modern sport bike with the side of the frame exposed and in most cases polished. If it hits the ground in a fall and is scraped most times the insurance will total the bike for frame damage. There are alot of salvage sport bikes out there. Alot of the stunt guys use them cause you can buy them cheap and dont put full coverage on them since they are going to just trash them more learning the stunts.
Ron
1993 K11LT
1985 K100RS with over 100K on it
1985 K100RS Luftmiester Turbo Work in progress (any help is appreciated)
1974 R90/6
RJTrucker
Flying Brick Rider
 
Posts: 167
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:23 pm
Location: Central NJ

Postby owrstrich » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:54 am

here you go...

$58.50 and 4 color photos will get you from a salvage title which simply means its not roadworthy to a reconstructed title which means it was fixed up to supposedly roadworthy status...

there you go...

here be the back up...

The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) defines a salvaged vehicle as one that is either inoperable or unable to pass a state safety inspection without the owner having to spend more on repairs than the vehicle is actually worth.

Though you can't register or drive them, salvage-branded vehicles are legal to buy, sell, and own. The manner in which some of them are falsely sold, however, upsets the authorities.

There have been a growing number of cases of devious car dealers selling salvaged vehicles with impeccable exteriors but with blemished engines or chassis that cannot be detected by the untrained eye. To cover your back against such fiendish practices, Pennsylvania requires a stringent titling and registration process for all salvaged vehicles so that buyers know what they're getting.
Top Registering and Titling

To register a vehicle with a salvage title, you'll need to show proof that it was satisfactorily repaired and then apply for a rebuilt-salvage title.

* Submit form MV-1 (Application for Certificate of Title), unless the Pennsylvania Certificate of Salvage is already in the name of the applicant. This form cannot be downloaded, but you can pick one up at any Driver License Center location.

* Submit either form MV-5 (it, also, cannot be downloaded) or an out-of-state certificate of salvage.

* Submit an Application for Reconstructed, Specially Constructed, or Modified Vehicle. Detailed instructions are included in the file.

* Send four color photos of the vehicle (front, back, and both sides).

* Attach a bill of sale or receipts for parts used to fix the vehicle. You can download, if needed, a generic bill of sale.

* Include form MV-41 to apply for a vehicle identification number plate (only if one is needed).

* Enclose all applicable fees ($22.50 for a title and $36 for registration).

The vehicle will need to be inspected by a PennDOT-approved station, and the inspector will need to sign the application form (so bring along all your paperwork). Among other things, the inspector will check to make sure that the car and its parts were not stolen.

j o
owrstrich
Flying Brick Rider
 
Posts: 2541
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:29 pm

Postby supercat1 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:23 pm

kansas also recognizes rebuilt machines. not sure what the process is, but i believe it involves getting the machine inspected by the highway patrol.
just starting on my k11 adventure!

1993 k1100rs
supercat1
Flying Brick Rider
 
Posts: 311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:05 pm
Location: kansas city, ks

FS: 1996 K1100RS Special Edition SOLD

Postby Doug Harvey » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:35 pm

Wow, guys... I apologize... I got an email notification of the first couple replies, but nothing after... with everything going on (work, life, etc.) I haven't been back to check the string... figured if I didn't get a notification, no one was looking at it.

Anywhoo, lots of interesting info here. The only thing that I disagree with is RJTrucker's comment about collision or fire on the insurance. My insurance guy is a very good friend and he indicated that there is no difference in coverage. And he owns(ed) a bike with a PA Reconstructed Title.

The reason I say "owns(ed)" is that, as of next weekend, it will be mine.

I hate to say it, but I'm going to the "other side"... yep, I'll soon be a oilhead owner. After 14 years of owning K bikes, I'm getting an R1100S.

I finalized the sale of my K1100RS (the reason I came back to the string was to list it as SOLD).

I'm excited about my "new" bike, but boy, I'm going to miss her. Although I got to know the buyer and he's a great guy, never owned a Beemer and this is going to be a big step up for him. And he is HAPPY. So I know she'll be loved and appreciated.

Well guys, it's been fun... but as I leave the K world, another enters. I've already told him about how great this group/forum is. You'll be gaining a great new member.

Be safe, all!

Doug
Doug Harvey
'96 RS SE
Doug Harvey
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2004 11:52 am
Location: Latrobe, PA


Return to For Sale

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

cron