Firstgear Glacier Gloves

Discuss Gear & Gadgets

Moderators: Scott_Anderson, Ted, Flying Duck, Jim

Firstgear Glacier Gloves

Postby Saltcreek » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:26 am

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/ ... Glove.aspx

Ordered yesterday after much waffling. I find my summer gloves comfortable down to 40 degrees with the grips turned on high. I want to ride down into the high teens if the roads are dry. The Glacier is one of a series that is uninsulated in the palm to take advantage of heated grips. I'll report after they arrive.
Jim

1994 K1100LT Mystic Red, bfd, 35000 miles,
2008 Schwinn Collegiate 49cc, wife gets 100 mpg
1988 Ebbtide Bowrider, 180hp Mercruiser
User avatar
Saltcreek
Flying Brick Rider
 
Posts: 867
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:44 pm
Location: New Hampshire

Re: Firstgear Glacier Gloves

Postby Klinker » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:07 am

Saltcreek wrote:...I want to ride down into the high teens if the roads are dry...

:shock:

Hope you have a heated vest or jacket...
tlp
1994 K1100RS

Only the Reasonists. They believe in an evidence-based world, something called Rationalism. But it's a tiny group, not so influential.
- Page Griffin
User avatar
Klinker
Flying Brick Rider
 
Posts: 836
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:06 pm
Location: SD I-90

Re: Firstgear Glacier Gloves

Postby Flying Duck » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:19 am

Saltcreek wrote:I want to ride into the high teens.


Come to Seattle in August. That's when Hempfest is. There will be plenty of high teens to ride into.

.Image
Image
93 K11LT-"The Alien"
94 K11RS- "Kato"
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
User avatar
Flying Duck
Psychotic Waterfowl
 
Posts: 7402
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:41 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Firstgear Glacier Gloves

Postby Klinker » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:48 am

Flying Duck wrote:...That's when Hempfest is. There will be plenty of high teens to ride into.

:lol:

Oh, that one set sets the bar at a new...

high?
tlp
1994 K1100RS

Only the Reasonists. They believe in an evidence-based world, something called Rationalism. But it's a tiny group, not so influential.
- Page Griffin
User avatar
Klinker
Flying Brick Rider
 
Posts: 836
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:06 pm
Location: SD I-90

Postby Off the grid » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:21 pm

Some of you old buzzards could use a doobie or 3. 8)
Bane of your existence since July 2006
2005 KTM 450 EXC: Goat humper
2002 Yamaha FZ1: Cop magnet
1993 K1100LT: SOLD :)
2003 Honda XR650R: SOLD :(
Image
User avatar
Off the grid
Cantankerous libtard
 
Posts: 3215
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:55 pm
Location: Long Island, NY Home of big Stripers, bad drivers and nervous sheriffs.

Postby Klinker » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:49 pm

Off the grid wrote:Some of you old buzzards could use a doobie or 3. 8)

But then we wouldn't pass a drug screen...

Off the grid wrote:...except for a cigar or two.

8)
tlp
1994 K1100RS

Only the Reasonists. They believe in an evidence-based world, something called Rationalism. But it's a tiny group, not so influential.
- Page Griffin
User avatar
Klinker
Flying Brick Rider
 
Posts: 836
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:06 pm
Location: SD I-90

Postby Off the grid » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:29 pm

Klinker wrote:
Off the grid wrote:Some of you old buzzards could use a doobie or 3. 8)

But then we wouldn't pass a drug screen...

Off the grid wrote:...except for a cigar or two.

8)


Touche'!

(Unless they start pulling hairs I'm good....weed makes me paranoid and thus is in my sordid past)
Bane of your existence since July 2006
2005 KTM 450 EXC: Goat humper
2002 Yamaha FZ1: Cop magnet
1993 K1100LT: SOLD :)
2003 Honda XR650R: SOLD :(
Image
User avatar
Off the grid
Cantankerous libtard
 
Posts: 3215
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:55 pm
Location: Long Island, NY Home of big Stripers, bad drivers and nervous sheriffs.

Postby Saltcreek » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:04 am

Doh, hijacked again! :) :)

Gloves arrived this week but initially only 40 degrees to test them in. The are well made and fit a little snug. XL, my hand measures 9.5-10. After a few rides they're breaking in and feel about right. Rode yesterday morning at 30 degrees and they warmed up nicely.

As someone who has driven a horse drawn sleigh for over 25 years, I find cold weather motorcycling easier to dress for. Around here, if it's cold enough for me to want electric gear, there's probably not enough traction left to ride anyway. I tell my skeptical friends if I can dress warm enough to stand next to my LT, I'm warm enough to ride it.

I think what would prompt me to an electric vest or jacket would be reduction in clothing bulk.
Jim

1994 K1100LT Mystic Red, bfd, 35000 miles,
2008 Schwinn Collegiate 49cc, wife gets 100 mpg
1988 Ebbtide Bowrider, 180hp Mercruiser
User avatar
Saltcreek
Flying Brick Rider
 
Posts: 867
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:44 pm
Location: New Hampshire

Postby Scott_Anderson » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:11 am

Jim, J.O. just posted over in the for sale section a sale code good for 20% off of Gerbings gear. Don't know how long the sale will last.
Ride safe.

Share the Road Instructor
1997 K1100LT 0302488
1995 K1100LT 0302044
Garmin StreetPilot 2820
Garmin Zumo 550
"One who does not ask questions is ashamed to learn" Danish proverb
User avatar
Scott_Anderson
Flying Brick Rider
 
Posts: 1520
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:55 am
Location: Central Iowa, USA

Postby SugarHillCTD » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:16 am

Jim,

I have found First Gear products to be good for the $$ spent.

I do admire your cold weather fortitude. Yesterday in the middle of my trip east over the Kanc at about 35F (I still refuse to use the Aeroflow windshield) I was nice and warm with the First Gear electric jacket liner and gloves.

The LT blocks a lot of the wind that reaches me on the RS (hands and neck/head).

Hey, at least I'm not whining about the engine heat :lol:

Good luck with the gloves.

John
SugarHillCTD
Flying Brick Rider
 
Posts: 1794
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:22 am

Postby Klinker » Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:35 pm

Saltcreek wrote:Doh, hijacked again! :) :)

:oops: It's an affliction. I'm seeking therapy.

Saltcreek wrote:I think what would prompt me to an electric vest or jacket would be reduction in clothing bulk.

Precisely. I feel more flexible and in control* than when wearing bulky layers. I don't use mine often, but I'm glad to have it when needed.

*Granted, not "supernatural moto-control"... :wink:
tlp
1994 K1100RS

Only the Reasonists. They believe in an evidence-based world, something called Rationalism. But it's a tiny group, not so influential.
- Page Griffin
User avatar
Klinker
Flying Brick Rider
 
Posts: 836
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:06 pm
Location: SD I-90

Postby owrstrich » Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:12 pm

i rode the r s motobrick for 100+ slabb miles no handed sitting back on the passenger seat the other night... my hands never got cold... supernatural aint it...

j o
Last edited by owrstrich on Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
owrstrich
Flying Brick Rider
 
Posts: 2541
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:29 pm

Postby Saltcreek » Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:15 pm

Klinker wrote: :oops: It's an affliction. I'm seeking therapy.



No sweat Klink. I think the one responsible for a hijack is the first one. after that it's fair game. :) :)
Jim

1994 K1100LT Mystic Red, bfd, 35000 miles,
2008 Schwinn Collegiate 49cc, wife gets 100 mpg
1988 Ebbtide Bowrider, 180hp Mercruiser
User avatar
Saltcreek
Flying Brick Rider
 
Posts: 867
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:44 pm
Location: New Hampshire

Postby old guy old bike » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:32 pm

So, any feedback on the gloves?
Jeff
1993 K1100LT
old guy old bike
Flying Brick Rider
 
Posts: 203
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:44 pm
Location: Lisbon, OH

Postby Off the grid » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:54 pm

After that fiasco in the NH mountains I picked up these puppies.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/37/17600/ITEM/Tour-Master-Dri-Mesh-Gloves.aspx

Very happy with them given the price but I wish they were armored a bit.
Bane of your existence since July 2006
2005 KTM 450 EXC: Goat humper
2002 Yamaha FZ1: Cop magnet
1993 K1100LT: SOLD :)
2003 Honda XR650R: SOLD :(
Image
User avatar
Off the grid
Cantankerous libtard
 
Posts: 3215
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:55 pm
Location: Long Island, NY Home of big Stripers, bad drivers and nervous sheriffs.

Postby Saltcreek » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:24 am

old guy old bike wrote:So, any feedback on the gloves?
Jeff


I thought I posted this. It might have ended up in the Amber thread.

Gloves were a little snug and stiff when new but are breaking in nicely. I still prefer my summer gloves with grips on down to high thirties cause they are more like not wearing gloves. The glacier gloves heat up slower on the grips but should be good down to as cold as I want to ride.

My hands measure about 9 3/4 and I bought XL.
Jim

1994 K1100LT Mystic Red, bfd, 35000 miles,
2008 Schwinn Collegiate 49cc, wife gets 100 mpg
1988 Ebbtide Bowrider, 180hp Mercruiser
User avatar
Saltcreek
Flying Brick Rider
 
Posts: 867
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:44 pm
Location: New Hampshire

Postby supercat1 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:35 am

i am liking my gerbing's so far. my one complaint is that the palm has more padding than i would normally like. it just seems to bunch up a bit. maybe it is that the leather still isn't broken in, but overall not that big a deal.
just starting on my k11 adventure!

1993 k1100rs
supercat1
Flying Brick Rider
 
Posts: 311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:05 pm
Location: kansas city, ks


Return to Product Reviews

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron