Jacket recommendations

Discuss Gear & Gadgets

Moderators: Scott_Anderson, Ted, Flying Duck, Jim

Jacket recommendations

Postby Saltcreek » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:58 am

I need a new cold weather jacket and was thinking about another Tourmaster Jett 2. I like the one I have (it's just too big) and it is reasonably priced. But I have a Tourmaster mesh jacket for warm weather now that I didn't have when I bought the Jett. I don't need all of it's venting and zip out liner. I may consider a heated vest or liner with new cold weather gear.

Suggestions?
Jim

1994 K1100LT Mystic Red, bfd, 35000 miles,
2008 Schwinn Collegiate 49cc, wife gets 100 mpg
1988 Ebbtide Bowrider, 180hp Mercruiser
User avatar
Saltcreek
Flying Brick Rider
 
Posts: 867
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:44 pm
Location: New Hampshire

Postby joeangi » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:20 pm

I have heard only good things about the new Gerbings microwire jacket liner. I have not tried it yet...but it has gotten great reviews.

Joe
1994 K1100RS
1986 K100RS
User avatar
joeangi
Flying Brick Rider
 
Posts: 279
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:28 pm
Location: Westchester, New York

Postby SugarHillCTD » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:51 pm

Jim,

Cathy and I wear Tour Master Transition 2 jackets- Me in 3 NH seasons, Cathy in 2 (1/2 spring+ summer+ 1/2 of fall). It does have a zip out liner which I use in the change of riding seasons. Then I leave it home and use the First Gear heated jacket liner into late fall (I rode at 20F in early December last year)

Jim, years ago I thought that heated gear was for someone else. You have to experience several hours at below freezing to see what having heat put back into you does. Can't explain it.

Unsure? Let's go for a ride in the cold and you can try mine.

John
SugarHillCTD
Flying Brick Rider
 
Posts: 1794
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:22 am

Postby Saltcreek » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:36 am

SugarHillCTD wrote:Unsure? Let's go for a ride in the cold and you can try mine.

John


Sounds great! Want to trailer down next weekend? :) :)
Jim

1994 K1100LT Mystic Red, bfd, 35000 miles,
2008 Schwinn Collegiate 49cc, wife gets 100 mpg
1988 Ebbtide Bowrider, 180hp Mercruiser
User avatar
Saltcreek
Flying Brick Rider
 
Posts: 867
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:44 pm
Location: New Hampshire

Postby SugarHillCTD » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:21 am

You aren't riding these days, are you?? You must have the same problem that I do- the state highways are clear but I can't get out my road.

Well.........my time sponge- aka K1100RS is currently apart but I should have the timing cover sealed up (AGAIN!!) and the brake fluid changed by the end of today. But I think that I'll wait at least until early March before venturing out onto the roads on 2 wheels- if the weather allows.

BTW, I do have to be in Moultonborough on Friday at 9am to drop off my son's Ducati for service (Desmo valve adjust and camshaft belts are way beyond me). But it will be done in about 4 hours so I don't have much extra time. Maybe the 3 of us could meet near there for a late breakfast/ early lunch?

Let me know.... :D
John
SugarHillCTD
Flying Brick Rider
 
Posts: 1794
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:22 am

Postby Saltcreek » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:16 pm

It's .3 miles from my barn to the state highway but the first 100 feet is barely passable on horseback.

I don't think I can get away from work on Friday. But let me know if you guys have a plan.
Jim

1994 K1100LT Mystic Red, bfd, 35000 miles,
2008 Schwinn Collegiate 49cc, wife gets 100 mpg
1988 Ebbtide Bowrider, 180hp Mercruiser
User avatar
Saltcreek
Flying Brick Rider
 
Posts: 867
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:44 pm
Location: New Hampshire

Postby Ernie-NH » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:24 pm

:D


HI John...!

Sure thing...just let me know where/when ! Maybe we could get Chinese Take-out and ferry it up to S/C wherever he will be !

Regards............// Ernie-NH
AMA,, BACA,, American Deaf Bikers
'95 K1100LT
'76 R100/7
'95 Vulcan 1500-A
'79 Kawa KZ440B
... all registered and being ridden!
User avatar
Ernie-NH
Flying Brick Rider
 
Posts: 297
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:48 pm
Location: Bristol, New Hampshire

Postby SugarHillCTD » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:58 am

Ernie & Jim,

Friday has just become a full day for me. After the Duc drop off I have a few other stops to get to before going back to pick it up.

Perhaps in a few weeks?

John
SugarHillCTD
Flying Brick Rider
 
Posts: 1794
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:22 am

Postby Saltcreek » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:18 am

SugarHillCTD wrote:Ernie & Jim,

John


We'll switch to the Meetings forum!

Still can't decide what jacket to buy. I wish someone made a nice armoured shell with an electric liner.
Jim

1994 K1100LT Mystic Red, bfd, 35000 miles,
2008 Schwinn Collegiate 49cc, wife gets 100 mpg
1988 Ebbtide Bowrider, 180hp Mercruiser
User avatar
Saltcreek
Flying Brick Rider
 
Posts: 867
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:44 pm
Location: New Hampshire

Postby supercat1 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:47 pm

joeangi wrote:I have heard only good things about the new Gerbings microwire jacket liner. I have not tried it yet...but it has gotten great reviews.

Joe


i second that. my microwire jacket liner is awesome.

i use a mesh fieldsheer mesh jacket that they don't produce anymore (got it for like $70 at motorcycle closeouts as it was discontinued this year). i really like it as it breathes well and has as much padding/armor as my textile/winter jacket.
just starting on my k11 adventure!

1993 k1100rs
supercat1
Flying Brick Rider
 
Posts: 311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:05 pm
Location: kansas city, ks

Postby Mystic Red » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:35 pm

Look at Tourmaster Flex. Awesome touring jacket. You're ready for anything. 8)
Scott Hespelt, '94 K11LT
KOG #466
User avatar
Mystic Red
Flying Brick Rider
 
Posts: 2056
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:45 pm
Location: Twin Lakes Idaho

Postby Flying Duck » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:11 pm

Image
Image
93 K11LT-"The Alien"
94 K11RS- "Kato"
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
User avatar
Flying Duck
Psychotic Waterfowl
 
Posts: 7402
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:41 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Postby SugarHillCTD » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:29 pm

Must be the LAST member in existence.
SugarHillCTD
Flying Brick Rider
 
Posts: 1794
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:22 am

Postby Saltcreek » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:15 am

Flying Duck wrote:members only


Uh, Duck, I don't get it.
Jim

1994 K1100LT Mystic Red, bfd, 35000 miles,
2008 Schwinn Collegiate 49cc, wife gets 100 mpg
1988 Ebbtide Bowrider, 180hp Mercruiser
User avatar
Saltcreek
Flying Brick Rider
 
Posts: 867
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:44 pm
Location: New Hampshire

Postby Saltcreek » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:01 pm

New Tourmaster arrived today, fits great, and old one bought by a forum member. I am so tempted to trailer my bike down to the highway and ride.
Jim

1994 K1100LT Mystic Red, bfd, 35000 miles,
2008 Schwinn Collegiate 49cc, wife gets 100 mpg
1988 Ebbtide Bowrider, 180hp Mercruiser
User avatar
Saltcreek
Flying Brick Rider
 
Posts: 867
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:44 pm
Location: New Hampshire


Return to Product Reviews

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests