Multivario tank bag clips

Discuss K11 Tech - Remember to independently verify anything you see here before attempting!

Moderators: Scott_Anderson, Ted, Flying Duck, Jim

Multivario tank bag clips

Postby pegasus » Fri May 28, 2010 2:50 am

When I bought my K1100RS I got a k100 tank bag with it. That led to a lot of stuffing around having to remove the side covers every time I wanted to use the tank bag (which probably resulted in the side cover mounting clips breaking off). I just bought the factory K1100 tank bag clips, but they don't come with any mounting screws. The BMW ETK doesn't show how to attach the clips to the fuel tank. Could someone please post some pictures of how these clips attach to the fuel tank. Once I've seen an image, I'm sure I can make something up to fit he clips.

Cheers,

Andrew Hatcher
93 K1100RS
Ipswich, Australia.
User avatar
pegasus
Mad Brick Rider
 
Posts: 130
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2003 11:11 pm
Location: Brisbane Australia

Postby Rafal » Fri May 28, 2010 4:55 am

Hi!
Well I had the same problem. One solution is to order proper adapters from BMW. I choose DIY solution: take a thin (2 mm) steel wire (steel rope) in PCV isolation. Cut two loops, hook them to hooks under the fuel tank, attach tank bag to it, and you are ready to go.
In your case I would ho for wire loops, because K100 tank bag may not connect with K1100 adapters.
I'll throw a picture of it today in evening (middle of the night in US :lol: ).

Best regards
Rafal
K1100RS is a real beast (in Marrakesh Red)
K75S is a real beauty - she has gone :(, but not to far :).

Image
User avatar
Rafal
Mad Brick Rider
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:32 am
Location: Wroclaw, Poland

Postby Scott_Anderson » Fri May 28, 2010 8:18 am

The clips are still available from BMW, I just got a set about a month ago, only to get another set with my tank bag when I got it. So I have an extra set now.
They connect/bolt with the side panel support bracket that's connected to the lower edge of the fuel tank.
Ride safe.

Share the Road Instructor
1997 K1100LT 0302488
1995 K1100LT 0302044
Garmin StreetPilot 2820
Garmin Zumo 550
"One who does not ask questions is ashamed to learn" Danish proverb
User avatar
Scott_Anderson
Flying Brick Rider
 
Posts: 1520
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:55 am
Location: Central Iowa, USA

Multivario tank bag clips

Postby pegasus » Fri May 28, 2010 8:55 pm

The RS has different (longer) side covers than a LT. I have the factory clips (they took 6 weeks to come to Oz from the fatherland). They appear to be intended to fit to the tabs on the rear sides of the fuel tank. What I want to know (because it doesn't show on the parts fiche) is how to attach the tabs to the fuel tank. I am supposing some sort of washer (or backing plate) and a small bolt (through the hole in the tab) and washer and nut (behind the washer / backing plate). A couple of photos will answer all my questions.

Andrew Hatcher
1993 K1100RS
Ipswich, Australia
User avatar
pegasus
Mad Brick Rider
 
Posts: 130
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2003 11:11 pm
Location: Brisbane Australia

Postby Scott_Anderson » Fri May 28, 2010 9:17 pm

They bolt to the same place. Remove the bolt for the existing bracket, but the bolt thru the gas tank hole, then the existing bracket, then the tank bag bracket. Your washers will fit in there as well in their original spots.

I'll get my camera out.

Here's the left side.
Image
Hope it helps.
Ride safe.

Share the Road Instructor
1997 K1100LT 0302488
1995 K1100LT 0302044
Garmin StreetPilot 2820
Garmin Zumo 550
"One who does not ask questions is ashamed to learn" Danish proverb
User avatar
Scott_Anderson
Flying Brick Rider
 
Posts: 1520
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:55 am
Location: Central Iowa, USA

Tank bag clips

Postby pegasus » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:52 am

Got the clips to fit, but then found out that K1100 bag (yellow piping) had different end tabs to the K100 bag. So that's $AUD 30 down the drain and several hours of stuffing around.

Anyone got a K1100 multivario bag they want to sell?

Andrew
93 K1100RS
Ipswich, Australia
User avatar
pegasus
Mad Brick Rider
 
Posts: 130
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2003 11:11 pm
Location: Brisbane Australia

Postby Scott_Anderson » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:13 am

Well, I have one, but it's old and stiff and the eleastic isn't very elastic anymore. Plus it doesn't have the center expansion section.

I ended up buying new.

Motobins has them new and complete for £140.00 GBP +vat(if applicable) and shipping.
http://www.motobins.co.uk/displayfinal. ... %20bag&s=1
Ride safe.

Share the Road Instructor
1997 K1100LT 0302488
1995 K1100LT 0302044
Garmin StreetPilot 2820
Garmin Zumo 550
"One who does not ask questions is ashamed to learn" Danish proverb
User avatar
Scott_Anderson
Flying Brick Rider
 
Posts: 1520
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:55 am
Location: Central Iowa, USA

Postby Flying Duck » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:39 am

The tank bags are the same. You just need the right base.
Image
93 K11LT-"The Alien"
94 K11RS- "Kato"
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
User avatar
Flying Duck
Psychotic Waterfowl
 
Posts: 7402
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:41 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Postby Scott_Anderson » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:10 pm

Flying Duck wrote:The tank bags are the same. You just need the right base.


I not so sure about that Drake, they changed the zippers on the bottom when they made the "quick clip" design.

The bases that have the wire clips for the tank edge only have about 6" of straight zipper on each side, where the newer base design has close to 10" and it wraps partly around the bottom edge.
And even some of those have different tooth count depending on when they were made.
Ride safe.

Share the Road Instructor
1997 K1100LT 0302488
1995 K1100LT 0302044
Garmin StreetPilot 2820
Garmin Zumo 550
"One who does not ask questions is ashamed to learn" Danish proverb
User avatar
Scott_Anderson
Flying Brick Rider
 
Posts: 1520
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:55 am
Location: Central Iowa, USA

Postby Flying Duck » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:36 pm

I'm sure because I use the same tank bag on different bases. If you check the parts catalog it shows that the same tank bag works on Rs of the era as well.

However, there is some variation in zippers but that's more of a year issue than a model issue.
Image
93 K11LT-"The Alien"
94 K11RS- "Kato"
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
User avatar
Flying Duck
Psychotic Waterfowl
 
Posts: 7402
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:41 pm
Location: Seattle, WA


Return to 16-Valve K-Bike Tech (K1100RS, K1100LT, K100RS-16v)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests