 |
K11 Owners Group K11 Owners Group
|
| View previous topic :: View next topic |
| Author |
Message |
Stoked Steve Flying Brick Rider

Joined: 01 Sep 2004 Posts: 1402 Location: Virginia Beach, VA
|
Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 pm Post subject: Would Barbacks for a K100/K75 fit a '93 K1100RS? |
|
|
I found these barbacks listed at A&S, but they don't specifically list the K1100RS, only the K100/K75 and some R models.
Would they work on my K1100RS? Would I likely need the longer brake hose they list as well?
http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=1349
Thanks, _________________ Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
93 K1100RS Mystic Red SOLD
12 Suzuki DL650A VStrom
Last edited by Stoked Steve on Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:12 pm; edited 1 time in total |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Flying Duck PsyKotic Waterfowl

Joined: 27 Jan 2005 Posts: 10102 Location: Bumf***, WA
|
Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:58 pm Post subject: |
|
|
Yes, they'll work.
If you want some cheaper ones, there's a local guy I know who had some sets made up and he is selling his for I think $50 shipped. The only difference is that they're square and not rounded but they work fine. I have a set on my K75 project bike. Drop me a PM or email and I'll give you his email so you can see if he has any left.
The issue on K1100s with barbacks is that the ignition and fork lock are built into the upper triple tree so it will look kind of dorky.
You'll probably be OK on the brake line and cables. Though you may have to loosen the line where it comes out of the master cylinder and change it's angle slightly.
FWIW: I tried barbacks on my K100RS4V (same forks, dash and handlebar setup) and found they weren't conducive to getting in over the bike on agressive turns so I removed them after one day. _________________ 93 LT (x2)
94 RS
86-97 K75F(K75/100/1100 Frankenbrick)
86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Stoked Steve Flying Brick Rider

Joined: 01 Sep 2004 Posts: 1402 Location: Virginia Beach, VA
|
Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:11 pm Post subject: |
|
|
Thanks Duck, I'll PM you about the barback source you mention. _________________ Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
93 K1100RS Mystic Red SOLD
12 Suzuki DL650A VStrom |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
owrstrich Flying Brick Rider

Joined: 29 Oct 2006 Posts: 2566 Location: CheezConsin
|
Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:12 pm Post subject: |
|
|
i aint got not stenken fork lock... do i...
owrstrich _________________ yeeeeeehaaaaaaa... |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Flying Duck PsyKotic Waterfowl

Joined: 27 Jan 2005 Posts: 10102 Location: Bumf***, WA
|
Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:19 pm Post subject: |
|
|
Yep. Turn the forks almost all of the way to the right while turning the key counterclockwise. There are two fork lock positions - one leaves everything off and one leaves the parking lights on.
Haven't you memorized the owners manual yet?
Do I get the Bagster for letting you in on this secret"?  _________________ 93 LT (x2)
94 RS
86-97 K75F(K75/100/1100 Frankenbrick)
86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
owrstrich Flying Brick Rider

Joined: 29 Oct 2006 Posts: 2566 Location: CheezConsin
|
Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:31 pm Post subject: |
|
|
you have to play to win...
i had a honda with a fork lock... i would turn the key ccw and push down and it would lick the fork all the way left...
my k1100 lock will turn ccw past off but there is no lock like on my honda... so im calling booshee...
i dont have an owners manual... i gots you folks...
owrstrich _________________ yeeeeeehaaaaaaa... |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Flying Duck PsyKotic Waterfowl

Joined: 27 Jan 2005 Posts: 10102 Location: Bumf***, WA
|
Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:42 pm Post subject: |
|
|
Your current bike is not a Honda - and it DOES have a fork lock (or did from the factory). Since you're such a spaz, I'll show you how to use it if we hook up in SoCal over the next couple of weeks.  _________________ 93 LT (x2)
94 RS
86-97 K75F(K75/100/1100 Frankenbrick)
86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Stoked Steve Flying Brick Rider

Joined: 01 Sep 2004 Posts: 1402 Location: Virginia Beach, VA
|
Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:34 pm Post subject: |
|
|
Hey Duck, thanks again for the link to Scott, he does still have the Barback sets for sale, $50 shipped. I asked him if it was ok to mention him here and he said "sure". So here is a link.
http://www.stevensontechnology.com/
After I receive and install them, I'll report back about the changes, good or bad. I know the key hole will be empty and the ignition switch will be down and under the crash pad, sort of funky, but I don't want to permanently alter anything.
On the other note, my fork locks are tricky to get to lock properly, I've never used them, but I don't leave the bike unattended for long periods of time either. _________________ Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
93 K1100RS Mystic Red SOLD
12 Suzuki DL650A VStrom |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Flying Duck PsyKotic Waterfowl

Joined: 27 Jan 2005 Posts: 10102 Location: Bumf***, WA
|
Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:55 pm Post subject: |
|
|
You know, with respect to the "funkiness" of the dash. I did have a plan if I kept the bar backs permanently. What I was going to do was get a dash from a 2 valve K100RS or a K75S, and rewire one of their igntion switches in. That would look pretty good I think. _________________ 93 LT (x2)
94 RS
86-97 K75F(K75/100/1100 Frankenbrick)
86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Stoked Steve Flying Brick Rider

Joined: 01 Sep 2004 Posts: 1402 Location: Virginia Beach, VA
|
Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:54 pm Post subject: |
|
|
That probably would look pretty good, but knowing my luck, I'd screw up the ignition and create more serious issues.
I had thought maybe a 1" or 1" 1/2"BMW roundel to cover up the empty key hole. As the bike is parked in my garage all the time and I usually leave the key in anyway, I might just leave the key in their and use the kill switch to power on and off the bike. Of course I'd still need to be able to remove the key when I was out and about, so I'll just see how it all sits and works once the new barbacks are installed. _________________ Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
93 K1100RS Mystic Red SOLD
12 Suzuki DL650A VStrom |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Stoked Steve Flying Brick Rider

Joined: 01 Sep 2004 Posts: 1402 Location: Virginia Beach, VA
|
Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:39 pm Post subject: |
|
|
Well today I got the barbacks installed and got to take them for a ride. Overall I'm pleased. They moved the bars back 1 1 /2" from stock. There is no vertical gain, just 1 1/2" straight back. I didn't realize how much the handle bar clamps are tilted back, so as the barbacks go back, they actually go down quite a bit. The rise in the barbacks just cancels this drop out.
The difference is subtle, no radical change, but I do feel a tad more upright and a bit less weight on the wrists. I only went for a quick 30 mile ride through the country on a few twisty's. No major difference that I noticed in handling, but I'm not blasting through corners at warp speeds either (just subwarp).
At the same time I did the washer addition to the hadle bar clamp mounts, that seemed to tighten up bars a bit and I noticed a bit more front wheel feedback, but not in a bad way.
The worst part about adding these barbacks is that the ignition switch does not line up with the hole in the crash pad anymore. I'm thinking a small BMW roundel can cover up the empty keyhole.
I knew this would occur, but it's not as bad as I thought it might be. Fortunately I have the folding key, so it lies flat right under the now elevated crash pad and operates just fine. But if you had a regular straight key, you'd have to cut out a small circular area of the dash.
Here is a side shot showing the barbacks installed and how far back the bars are now. Another benefit was I was able to tilt the bars back down a bit, as I had them tilted up a bit too high trying to raise them. They are now at a more ergonomical correct level.
So, I need to put some more miles on them, but so far I like the slightly more upright position and it hasn't caused any dramatic difference in the overall feel of the bike.
ps, this is the first posting I've successfully posted pictures on, 'bout dam time! (thanks to Duck's photo tip page) _________________ Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
93 K1100RS Mystic Red SOLD
12 Suzuki DL650A VStrom |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
|
|
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum
|
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
|