| View previous topic :: View next topic |
| Author |
Message |
windcaper Brick Rider
Joined: 07 Nov 2006 Posts: 27 Location: New York
|
Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:01 pm Post subject: temporary tags to ride a new purchase home |
|
|
To my learned collegues:
Is there a legal way to ride a new purchase home from out of state?
I would like to fly down to florida next weekend make a purchase and hopefully drive it home. I don't want to ask to borrow the previous owners tags, and I can't get it registered without the title and I'm not paying for it until I see it.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks. _________________ 1996 K1100 RS SE |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Flying Duck PsyKotic Waterfowl

Joined: 27 Jan 2005 Posts: 10102 Location: Bumf***, WA
|
Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:07 pm Post subject: |
|
|
In a lot of states the tags go with the vehicle - check Florida law. _________________ 93 LT (x2)
94 RS
86-97 K75F(K75/100/1100 Frankenbrick)
86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Scott_Anderson Site Admin
Joined: 05 Sep 2006 Posts: 3128 Location: Central Iowa, USA
|
Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:32 pm Post subject: |
|
|
Don't forget a paper from you insurance company for proof of coverage if your going to ride it home.
You may be able to get an "official" "in-transit" paper plate from the local Florida DOT.
When I got my bike in '05, I drove down, made my inspection and then just rented a trailer to haul it back after I made my purchase. Then I didn't have to wory about it. _________________ Ride safe.
1997 K1100LT 0302488
2017 FLHTK Ultra Limited
Garmin StreetPilot 2820
Garmin Zumo 550
Garmin Zumo XT
"One who does not ask questions is ashamed to learn" Danish proverb
1995 K1100LT 0302044(R.I.P.)
1997 R1100RT ZC62149(sold) |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Jim Site Admin

Joined: 17 May 2003 Posts: 3841 Location: WHERETHEFUNNEVERENDS
|
Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:00 pm Post subject: transport tag |
|
|
check with the New York Division of Motor Vehicles - they should be able to give you a transport permit that's good for a couple days - if you need longer than that, they can probably give you two.
I have never heard of a tag going with a vehicle when the vehicle changes ownership.
Every insurance company I've bought a policy from covers the vehicle for 30 days prior to when the policy is written. Having said that, I have to admit I haven't changed insurance carriers very often. _________________ Jim
1997 K1100LTSE 94,000 - still has gremlins!
1995 R100RT Classic 16,650 crashed - repaired!
1992 K75RTP 46,000
"We shall not all die, but we shall all be changed." |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Scott_Anderson Site Admin
Joined: 05 Sep 2006 Posts: 3128 Location: Central Iowa, USA
|
Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:16 pm Post subject: Re: transport tag |
|
|
| Jim wrote: | | Every insurance company I've bought a policy from covers the vehicle for 30 days prior to when the policy is written. Having said that, I have to admit I haven't changed insurance carriers very often. |
I only mentioned it since not all insurance carriers write motorycle policies. My auto carrier wouldn't write me a policy when I got my 1st bike.
Now once I already had a policy on 1 bike I was covered on the 2nd one for 30 days.
Just a CYA issue. _________________ Ride safe.
1997 K1100LT 0302488
2017 FLHTK Ultra Limited
Garmin StreetPilot 2820
Garmin Zumo 550
Garmin Zumo XT
"One who does not ask questions is ashamed to learn" Danish proverb
1995 K1100LT 0302044(R.I.P.)
1997 R1100RT ZC62149(sold) |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
owrstrich Flying Brick Rider

Joined: 29 Oct 2006 Posts: 2566 Location: CheezConsin
|
Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:05 am Post subject: |
|
|
windcaper...
like s_a mentioned... get your insurance in order and take a copy with you...
take the plate off that 96 you have in your signature... put it on your new purchase... also take the registration and insurance info for the 96 and put it in your wallet...
if you get pulled over you have a plate and registration and insurance... the leo wont look at the vin... so you are good...
the only reason you would need the new insurance info is if the unthinkable happened...
j o _________________ yeeeeeehaaaaaaa... |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Flying Duck PsyKotic Waterfowl

Joined: 27 Jan 2005 Posts: 10102 Location: Bumf***, WA
|
Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:27 am Post subject: Re: transport tag |
|
|
| Jim wrote: | | I have never heard of a tag going with a vehicle when the vehicle changes ownership. |
You need to get out more. I've bought MCs in CA, WA, SD and MT. All came with the owner's plates and were legal to ride as such. If you want, I can post some pictures of my MC license plate collection when I get home.
In WA state, you're legal for 30 days for an out of state vehicle - 15 days for an in-state title transfer. Even then, all they do is penalize you for a late title transfer as long the the tabs aren't expired. On my first K75 I didn't bother to transfer title because I wanted to let the CA tabs run out. Got pulled over 4-5 months later for going a little fast. The trooper gave me a lecture and a warning. I was happy because he might have given me a performance award otherwise.
At least for cars, so I assume it applies to motorcycle policies as well, if you purchase a vehicle then your existing policy will cover the new to you vehicle for 30 days. Best to check with your carrier first however and have the paper work in order in case you get pulled over. Better to be prepared than to have to go to court and waste time/money. _________________ 93 LT (x2)
94 RS
86-97 K75F(K75/100/1100 Frankenbrick)
86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
Last edited by Flying Duck on Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:45 am; edited 4 times in total |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
owrstrich Flying Brick Rider

Joined: 29 Oct 2006 Posts: 2566 Location: CheezConsin
|
Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:32 am Post subject: |
|
|
my insurance is very specific... only the vehicle listed... only the drivers listed... no exceptions... thats how i get a better rate...
i had to put klinker on the policy when he delivered the bugeye motobrick... i had to put s_a on it when he rode the lt and the rs...
make no assumptions concerning vehicular insurance...
j o _________________ yeeeeeehaaaaaaa... |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Flying Duck PsyKotic Waterfowl

Joined: 27 Jan 2005 Posts: 10102 Location: Bumf***, WA
|
Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:34 am Post subject: |
|
|
| owrstrich wrote: | | make no assumptions concerning vehicular insurance... |
Agreed - read your policy or call your carrier.
Or just ride in Washington where MC insurance is not required.  _________________ 93 LT (x2)
94 RS
86-97 K75F(K75/100/1100 Frankenbrick)
86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Jim Site Admin

Joined: 17 May 2003 Posts: 3841 Location: WHERETHEFUNNEVERENDS
|
Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:21 am Post subject: Re: transport tag |
|
|
| Flying Duck wrote: | | Jim wrote: | | I have never heard of a tag going with a vehicle when the vehicle changes ownership. |
You need to get out more. |
Yeah, I guess I do...
I can't help it if ya'll do weird stuff with your tags west of the Mississippi. When we sell a vehicle here in the east, we take the tags off right away - and have to report the sale of the vehicle to the DMV. _________________ Jim
1997 K1100LTSE 94,000 - still has gremlins!
1995 R100RT Classic 16,650 crashed - repaired!
1992 K75RTP 46,000
"We shall not all die, but we shall all be changed." |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Scott_Anderson Site Admin
Joined: 05 Sep 2006 Posts: 3128 Location: Central Iowa, USA
|
Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:37 am Post subject: Re: transport tag |
|
|
| Jim wrote: |
I can't help it if ya'll do weird stuff with your tags west of the Mississippi. When we sell a vehicle here in the east, we take the tags off right away - and have to report the sale of the vehicle to the DMV. |
It's supposed to be the same here in Iowa as well. The tags stay with the owner of the tag, not the vehicle. So the old tag can then be reused on a new/replacement purchase by the same owner. _________________ Ride safe.
1997 K1100LT 0302488
2017 FLHTK Ultra Limited
Garmin StreetPilot 2820
Garmin Zumo 550
Garmin Zumo XT
"One who does not ask questions is ashamed to learn" Danish proverb
1995 K1100LT 0302044(R.I.P.)
1997 R1100RT ZC62149(sold) |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
WVMSFKRS Mad Brick Rider
Joined: 24 Nov 2007 Posts: 122 Location: Fairmont, WV
|
Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:37 pm Post subject: |
|
|
Windcaper, if your planing to come up I-79 give me a holler, we could do lunch or dinner. As far as the plate goes I had 4 bikes and 2 plates for a while; although, they each had their own insurance. That just how hillbillies do things. _________________ IBA#42211
MSF Rider Coach
Riders Edge Instructor
'09 K1200LT
'07 K1200GT Traded
'96 K1100 RS SE *SOLD*
'05 HD Ultra 82,000+ miles
'04 URAL *SOLD* |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
windcaper Brick Rider
Joined: 07 Nov 2006 Posts: 27 Location: New York
|
Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:45 am Post subject: |
|
|
Thanks for all your help, I think I'm just going to have it shipped!!
But I appreciate all your input. _________________ 1996 K1100 RS SE |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
hockeyshifter Flying Brick Rider

Joined: 01 Jan 2006 Posts: 177 Location: harpers ferry WVa.
|
Posted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:05 am Post subject: |
|
|
i am posting just to clear the air and give the search engine something to do.
1) plates are the property of the state and are to be surrendered to the state when requested ( goes for DL also)
2) plates and registration must match documentation on the title. ( most data bases are linked now.. thanks bin Laden)
3) in Wv. insurance is assigned to the person and the vehicle. 4 units 4 different polices.
4) Most DMV/MVA will issues a transit tag ( good for A week/7 days ) but you need a statement from a insurance provider listing the minumin coverage. this also goes for transfer out of the state.
just my food for thought. _________________ fix the problem not the blame ; fix what is messed up ; NO one is to blame. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
|