K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Latest mods to my LT

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Tech
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl


Joined: 27 Jan 2005
Posts: 10102
Location: Bumf***, WA

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: Latest mods to my LT Reply with quote

It's not perfect yet, but getting there.....

1) Windscreen switch. Picked up a pair of used switches from a newer LT(both sides) for only $33 shipped off of eBay. Since I have a larger than stock windscreen, the motor can't put the windscreen up at speed unless I help it with one of my hands. This switch will make that much easier.

2) New speakers. Between this bike and my K75RT, I've probably tried 7 or 8 different kinds of speakers. I found these mentioned on a car audiophile site and I think these are probably the best yet. They have the lowest bottom end frequency range of any 4" speaker out there and are good quality speakers. Since we're limited to 4" speakers, there isn't thumping bass but these do pretty well.
Rolling Eyes
$70 with free shipping
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=869

They have a 2" mounting depth which meant that I had to grind down some of the structural ribs inside the fairing to get them crammed in there but having dumped my K75RT a few times, it's not like those actually keep the fairing from cracking so that doesn't bother me.

I"m very happy with these, now if I can just keep from blowing them.

3) Heat mitigation

a) Since I had a new switch spot from putting in the newer windscreen switch, I added a low speed fan switch that has a 6ohm 50W load resistor in the circuit to lower the voltage. (Similar to what Max did.)

b) added a "Johnny Blanket"(TM Owstrich). Should help keep the tank cooler as well as preventing the heat blast in the seam between the tank and side panels

c) Had some BMW fuel line insulation left over from doing all of the lines on my RS so I insulated the return line from the fuel pressure regulator to the tank since I think that's the biggest culprit in returning heated fuel to the tank. (On the RS I did all of the lines and the fuel rail too.)

4) Side LED running light/blinkers. Got this idea from Larry. However, in the interest of oneupmanship, I added some micro relays so that when the blinkers are activated, these blink off. Should be helpful for lane changes on the freeway and such as well as having side running lights.

Here's a video clip (tight space in the garage but you get the idea) click on the picture to see the movie:



5) Redid the rear lighting

a) My homemade Hyperlites in the sides of the lens

b) Added a chrome LED license plate frame I picked up cheaply on eBay - the brake LEDs are also modulated with my Hyperlites

c) Added chrome LED license plate mounting bolts that I tied into the blinkers

d) Upgraded my old Iron Butt license plate back to a Bun Burner Gold.

Movie: (Click on the picture ot see them in action)


6) Installed a chromed gas cap - the picture doesn't do it justice - it looks awesome.



7) Installed LEDs in the parking light. Not enough room in the garage for a pic of this but it looks just like what I did to the RS



Another picture with several of the mods:

_________________
93 LT (x2)
94 RS
86-97 K75F(K75/100/1100 Frankenbrick)
86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
owrstrich
Flying Brick Rider


Joined: 29 Oct 2006
Posts: 2566
Location: CheezConsin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he said chrome...



Laughing



jo
_________________
yeeeeeehaaaaaaa...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Off the grid
Chaotic Good


Joined: 05 Jul 2006
Posts: 3414
Location: At the local taco truck waiting for Jo.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah wtf chrome.

Why not just get a harley.
_________________
Bane of your existence since July 2006
2007 Triumph Tiger ABS. "Sabertooth"
2009 Husqvarna TE610. "The dirty Italian mistress"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl


Joined: 27 Jan 2005
Posts: 10102
Location: Bumf***, WA

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gas cap is much nicer than the factory finish.

You guys are just jealous. Razz
_________________
93 LT (x2)
94 RS
86-97 K75F(K75/100/1100 Frankenbrick)
86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE


Last edited by Flying Duck on Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Off the grid
Chaotic Good


Joined: 05 Jul 2006
Posts: 3414
Location: At the local taco truck waiting for Jo.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats next, chrome accents?

Fishtail pipes?
_________________
Bane of your existence since July 2006
2007 Triumph Tiger ABS. "Sabertooth"
2009 Husqvarna TE610. "The dirty Italian mistress"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl


Joined: 27 Jan 2005
Posts: 10102
Location: Bumf***, WA

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off the grid wrote:
Whats next, chrome accents?

Fishtail pipes?


I'm thinking the gatling gun exhaust - it actually spins too! Laughing


_________________
93 LT (x2)
94 RS
86-97 K75F(K75/100/1100 Frankenbrick)
86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Off the grid
Chaotic Good


Joined: 05 Jul 2006
Posts: 3414
Location: At the local taco truck waiting for Jo.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, that thing is pretty friggin cool!
_________________
Bane of your existence since July 2006
2007 Triumph Tiger ABS. "Sabertooth"
2009 Husqvarna TE610. "The dirty Italian mistress"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl


Joined: 27 Jan 2005
Posts: 10102
Location: Bumf***, WA

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot another mod I did. I finally added washers to firm up the handlebar mounts. Took it out to run errands today. Didn't notice any increased vibes but the front end is certainly less mushy and much more responsive/flickable. For a couple of bucks invested in stainless washers, the performance improvement is certainly worth it. Probably the cheapest and easiest mod - WHY DIDN'T I DO THIS BEFORE????
_________________
93 LT (x2)
94 RS
86-97 K75F(K75/100/1100 Frankenbrick)
86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE


Last edited by Flying Duck on Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Off the grid
Chaotic Good


Joined: 05 Jul 2006
Posts: 3414
Location: At the local taco truck waiting for Jo.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What exact washers are you talking about Drake and what size?
_________________
Bane of your existence since July 2006
2007 Triumph Tiger ABS. "Sabertooth"
2009 Husqvarna TE610. "The dirty Italian mistress"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl


Joined: 27 Jan 2005
Posts: 10102
Location: Bumf***, WA

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off the grid wrote:
What exact washers are you talking about Drake and what size?


I bought a pack of five washers, used two per side and have one leftover. I'll measure the leftover one and maybe take a pic tomorrow if I have time between laundry and trip prep.
_________________
93 LT (x2)
94 RS
86-97 K75F(K75/100/1100 Frankenbrick)
86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Off the grid
Chaotic Good


Joined: 05 Jul 2006
Posts: 3414
Location: At the local taco truck waiting for Jo.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where exactly do they go?
Replace #22?

How many washers?


_________________
Bane of your existence since July 2006
2007 Triumph Tiger ABS. "Sabertooth"
2009 Husqvarna TE610. "The dirty Italian mistress"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jim
Site Admin


Joined: 17 May 2003
Posts: 3841
Location: WHERETHEFUNNEVERENDS

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:11 am    Post subject: stiffen your bars, boys Reply with quote

Off - there's a write up on the front page. Here's the link: http://www.k11og.org/tech/k11tech_rigidbars.shtml

I posted a sticky with a link to that page at the top of the tech section... Rolling Eyes

HTH!
_________________
Jim
1997 K1100LTSE 94,000 - still has gremlins!
1995 R100RT Classic 16,650 crashed - repaired!
1992 K75RTP 46,000

"We shall not all die, but we shall all be changed."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Off the grid
Chaotic Good


Joined: 05 Jul 2006
Posts: 3414
Location: At the local taco truck waiting for Jo.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jim!

/chest bump
_________________
Bane of your existence since July 2006
2007 Triumph Tiger ABS. "Sabertooth"
2009 Husqvarna TE610. "The dirty Italian mistress"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl


Joined: 27 Jan 2005
Posts: 10102
Location: Bumf***, WA

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You put them between 5 and 6 in the drawing. I didn't follow the specs they gave but on the RS used what I had in my spare washer bin and basedon what worked there I picked something similar for the LT.

(P.S. You only need thrust washers if you suffer from ED. Laughing )
_________________
93 LT (x2)
94 RS
86-97 K75F(K75/100/1100 Frankenbrick)
86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
acftfliehr
Big Brick Rider


Joined: 05 Nov 2007
Posts: 62

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where can I buy the minigun exhaust and the cool chrome handlebar washers?

I used bronze as per the link and wow!!

What a difference

Great mods, and I like your "Johnny" heat shield below the tank, what is the material? Link for it?

Drake, I am going to order some more of your LED Instrument lites, as the K100 output shaft is a success!! The K100 rides again and now justifies more gadgets!

See comment on early K100 output shaft R&R:

http://f3.webmart.de/f.cfm?id=2385371&l=2&r=threadview&a=1&t=3291608
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
goldust
Brick Rider


Joined: 07 May 2007
Posts: 38
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To: Flying Duck.

What year and model did your new windscreen switches come from?

mine is a 93 k1100lt.

i would really love to have the w/swtiche on the handlebar.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
drmalacarne
Flying Brick Rider


Joined: 02 Mar 2008
Posts: 762
Location: São Paulo, Brazil

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duck
I tryied some times to moves up mu screem while in speed, and in two acasions the left rail comes off the line, turning the windshiled inoperable.
I decided to never move the shield whem doing more tham 20mhp/h, to avoid that.
And I liked a lot the rear braking light scheme.
I put some 3M reflectors in my side cases to increase the night ride security, but I'm thinking in upgrade the rear red lights.
Guilherme.
_________________
1994 K1100LT SE n° 0267
1998 HD Heritage Springer 95th anniversary
Yes, a Hog and a Beemer can live together!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
drmalacarne
Flying Brick Rider


Joined: 02 Mar 2008
Posts: 762
Location: São Paulo, Brazil

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Duck, any suggestion to improve the rear speakers?
Thanks.
Guilherme.
_________________
1994 K1100LT SE n° 0267
1998 HD Heritage Springer 95th anniversary
Yes, a Hog and a Beemer can live together!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group