| View previous topic :: View next topic |
| Author |
Message |
Flying Duck PsyKotic Waterfowl

Joined: 27 Jan 2005 Posts: 10102 Location: Bumf***, WA
|
Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:54 pm Post subject: Latest mods to my LT |
|
|
It's not perfect yet, but getting there.....
1) Windscreen switch. Picked up a pair of used switches from a newer LT(both sides) for only $33 shipped off of eBay. Since I have a larger than stock windscreen, the motor can't put the windscreen up at speed unless I help it with one of my hands. This switch will make that much easier.
2) New speakers. Between this bike and my K75RT, I've probably tried 7 or 8 different kinds of speakers. I found these mentioned on a car audiophile site and I think these are probably the best yet. They have the lowest bottom end frequency range of any 4" speaker out there and are good quality speakers. Since we're limited to 4" speakers, there isn't thumping bass but these do pretty well.
$70 with free shipping
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=869
They have a 2" mounting depth which meant that I had to grind down some of the structural ribs inside the fairing to get them crammed in there but having dumped my K75RT a few times, it's not like those actually keep the fairing from cracking so that doesn't bother me.
I"m very happy with these, now if I can just keep from blowing them.
3) Heat mitigation
a) Since I had a new switch spot from putting in the newer windscreen switch, I added a low speed fan switch that has a 6ohm 50W load resistor in the circuit to lower the voltage. (Similar to what Max did.)
b) added a "Johnny Blanket"(TM Owstrich). Should help keep the tank cooler as well as preventing the heat blast in the seam between the tank and side panels
c) Had some BMW fuel line insulation left over from doing all of the lines on my RS so I insulated the return line from the fuel pressure regulator to the tank since I think that's the biggest culprit in returning heated fuel to the tank. (On the RS I did all of the lines and the fuel rail too.)
4) Side LED running light/blinkers. Got this idea from Larry. However, in the interest of oneupmanship, I added some micro relays so that when the blinkers are activated, these blink off. Should be helpful for lane changes on the freeway and such as well as having side running lights.
Here's a video clip (tight space in the garage but you get the idea) click on the picture to see the movie:
5) Redid the rear lighting
a) My homemade Hyperlites in the sides of the lens
b) Added a chrome LED license plate frame I picked up cheaply on eBay - the brake LEDs are also modulated with my Hyperlites
c) Added chrome LED license plate mounting bolts that I tied into the blinkers
d) Upgraded my old Iron Butt license plate back to a Bun Burner Gold.
Movie: (Click on the picture ot see them in action)
6) Installed a chromed gas cap - the picture doesn't do it justice - it looks awesome.
7) Installed LEDs in the parking light. Not enough room in the garage for a pic of this but it looks just like what I did to the RS
Another picture with several of the mods:
 _________________ 93 LT (x2)
94 RS
86-97 K75F(K75/100/1100 Frankenbrick)
86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
owrstrich Flying Brick Rider

Joined: 29 Oct 2006 Posts: 2566 Location: CheezConsin
|
Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:09 pm Post subject: |
|
|
he said chrome...
jo _________________ yeeeeeehaaaaaaa... |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Off the grid Chaotic Good

Joined: 05 Jul 2006 Posts: 3414 Location: At the local taco truck waiting for Jo.
|
Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:14 pm Post subject: |
|
|
Yeah wtf chrome.
Why not just get a harley. _________________ Bane of your existence since July 2006
2007 Triumph Tiger ABS. "Sabertooth"
2009 Husqvarna TE610. "The dirty Italian mistress"
 |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Flying Duck PsyKotic Waterfowl

Joined: 27 Jan 2005 Posts: 10102 Location: Bumf***, WA
|
Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:26 pm Post subject: |
|
|
The gas cap is much nicer than the factory finish.
You guys are just jealous.  _________________ 93 LT (x2)
94 RS
86-97 K75F(K75/100/1100 Frankenbrick)
86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
Last edited by Flying Duck on Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Off the grid Chaotic Good

Joined: 05 Jul 2006 Posts: 3414 Location: At the local taco truck waiting for Jo.
|
Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:27 pm Post subject: |
|
|
Whats next, chrome accents?
Fishtail pipes? _________________ Bane of your existence since July 2006
2007 Triumph Tiger ABS. "Sabertooth"
2009 Husqvarna TE610. "The dirty Italian mistress"
 |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Flying Duck PsyKotic Waterfowl

Joined: 27 Jan 2005 Posts: 10102 Location: Bumf***, WA
|
Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:34 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| Off the grid wrote: | Whats next, chrome accents?
Fishtail pipes? |
I'm thinking the gatling gun exhaust - it actually spins too!
 _________________ 93 LT (x2)
94 RS
86-97 K75F(K75/100/1100 Frankenbrick)
86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Off the grid Chaotic Good

Joined: 05 Jul 2006 Posts: 3414 Location: At the local taco truck waiting for Jo.
|
Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:38 pm Post subject: |
|
|
Ok, that thing is pretty friggin cool! _________________ Bane of your existence since July 2006
2007 Triumph Tiger ABS. "Sabertooth"
2009 Husqvarna TE610. "The dirty Italian mistress"
 |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Flying Duck PsyKotic Waterfowl

Joined: 27 Jan 2005 Posts: 10102 Location: Bumf***, WA
|
Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:14 am Post subject: |
|
|
I forgot another mod I did. I finally added washers to firm up the handlebar mounts. Took it out to run errands today. Didn't notice any increased vibes but the front end is certainly less mushy and much more responsive/flickable. For a couple of bucks invested in stainless washers, the performance improvement is certainly worth it. Probably the cheapest and easiest mod - WHY DIDN'T I DO THIS BEFORE???? _________________ 93 LT (x2)
94 RS
86-97 K75F(K75/100/1100 Frankenbrick)
86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
Last edited by Flying Duck on Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:38 am; edited 1 time in total |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Off the grid Chaotic Good

Joined: 05 Jul 2006 Posts: 3414 Location: At the local taco truck waiting for Jo.
|
Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:33 am Post subject: |
|
|
What exact washers are you talking about Drake and what size? _________________ Bane of your existence since July 2006
2007 Triumph Tiger ABS. "Sabertooth"
2009 Husqvarna TE610. "The dirty Italian mistress"
 |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Flying Duck PsyKotic Waterfowl

Joined: 27 Jan 2005 Posts: 10102 Location: Bumf***, WA
|
Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:36 am Post subject: |
|
|
| Off the grid wrote: | | What exact washers are you talking about Drake and what size? |
I bought a pack of five washers, used two per side and have one leftover. I'll measure the leftover one and maybe take a pic tomorrow if I have time between laundry and trip prep. _________________ 93 LT (x2)
94 RS
86-97 K75F(K75/100/1100 Frankenbrick)
86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Off the grid Chaotic Good

Joined: 05 Jul 2006 Posts: 3414 Location: At the local taco truck waiting for Jo.
|
Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:41 am Post subject: |
|
|
Where exactly do they go?
Replace #22?
How many washers?
 _________________ Bane of your existence since July 2006
2007 Triumph Tiger ABS. "Sabertooth"
2009 Husqvarna TE610. "The dirty Italian mistress"
 |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Jim Site Admin

Joined: 17 May 2003 Posts: 3841 Location: WHERETHEFUNNEVERENDS
|
Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:11 am Post subject: stiffen your bars, boys |
|
|
Off - there's a write up on the front page. Here's the link: http://www.k11og.org/tech/k11tech_rigidbars.shtml
I posted a sticky with a link to that page at the top of the tech section...
HTH! _________________ Jim
1997 K1100LTSE 94,000 - still has gremlins!
1995 R100RT Classic 16,650 crashed - repaired!
1992 K75RTP 46,000
"We shall not all die, but we shall all be changed." |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Off the grid Chaotic Good

Joined: 05 Jul 2006 Posts: 3414 Location: At the local taco truck waiting for Jo.
|
Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:26 am Post subject: |
|
|
Thanks Jim!
/chest bump _________________ Bane of your existence since July 2006
2007 Triumph Tiger ABS. "Sabertooth"
2009 Husqvarna TE610. "The dirty Italian mistress"
 |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Flying Duck PsyKotic Waterfowl

Joined: 27 Jan 2005 Posts: 10102 Location: Bumf***, WA
|
Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:13 am Post subject: |
|
|
You put them between 5 and 6 in the drawing. I didn't follow the specs they gave but on the RS used what I had in my spare washer bin and basedon what worked there I picked something similar for the LT.
(P.S. You only need thrust washers if you suffer from ED. ) _________________ 93 LT (x2)
94 RS
86-97 K75F(K75/100/1100 Frankenbrick)
86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
acftfliehr Big Brick Rider
Joined: 05 Nov 2007 Posts: 62
|
Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:15 am Post subject: |
|
|
Where can I buy the minigun exhaust and the cool chrome handlebar washers?
I used bronze as per the link and wow!!
What a difference
Great mods, and I like your "Johnny" heat shield below the tank, what is the material? Link for it?
Drake, I am going to order some more of your LED Instrument lites, as the K100 output shaft is a success!! The K100 rides again and now justifies more gadgets!
See comment on early K100 output shaft R&R:
http://f3.webmart.de/f.cfm?id=2385371&l=2&r=threadview&a=1&t=3291608 |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
goldust Brick Rider
Joined: 07 May 2007 Posts: 38 Location: Indianapolis, Indiana
|
Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:45 pm Post subject: |
|
|
To: Flying Duck.
What year and model did your new windscreen switches come from?
mine is a 93 k1100lt.
i would really love to have the w/swtiche on the handlebar. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
drmalacarne Flying Brick Rider
Joined: 02 Mar 2008 Posts: 762 Location: São Paulo, Brazil
|
Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:08 pm Post subject: |
|
|
Duck
I tryied some times to moves up mu screem while in speed, and in two acasions the left rail comes off the line, turning the windshiled inoperable.
I decided to never move the shield whem doing more tham 20mhp/h, to avoid that.
And I liked a lot the rear braking light scheme.
I put some 3M reflectors in my side cases to increase the night ride security, but I'm thinking in upgrade the rear red lights.
Guilherme. _________________ 1994 K1100LT SE n° 0267
1998 HD Heritage Springer 95th anniversary
Yes, a Hog and a Beemer can live together! |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
drmalacarne Flying Brick Rider
Joined: 02 Mar 2008 Posts: 762 Location: São Paulo, Brazil
|
Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:10 pm Post subject: |
|
|
And Duck, any suggestion to improve the rear speakers?
Thanks.
Guilherme. _________________ 1994 K1100LT SE n° 0267
1998 HD Heritage Springer 95th anniversary
Yes, a Hog and a Beemer can live together! |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
|